Self healing cutting mat recommendation?

Hi All,

I'm very new to all of this ... I'm trying to buy a self healing cutting mat, and I'm a bit overwhelmed/confused with all the choice out there ... whether mats do actually heal or not, and some mats say you can only use a rotary blade on them ... can anyone recommend a brand/supplier of mat that does actually self-heal (to some degree) and remain relatively smooth? This is mainly for using a modelling knife to cut paper/thin card. And I will probably get an A3 mat.

Thanks,

Ed :)

When they first came out I resisted them as a gimmick, but have since used them from various suppliers and manufacturers, all worked really well. Only damaged by careless use, spilling solvents and one by leaving it in a very hot conservatory.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Something I put off for ages and now wonder how I managed without one!  Mine is an A3 one from my local Hobbycraft but others are available and no doubt all much the same.  Yes they do self-heal if a craft knife cuts into them but a Stanley type knife can and does leave its mark whilst, as noted above, solvents can attack them so mop up any spills PDQ and follow the instructions regarding storage.

At the end of the day they do wear out but nothing like this lasts for ever and they are reasonably inexpensive.

• Like 1

I got an A2 size cutting mat from Hobbycraft, a fairly big one. I preferred using a relatively local shop rather than having such a large item sent by mail. It's worked out well for me. As others have said, sharp things are not a problem on it, but paints and solvents are a bad idea - I cover it with a ply offcut when I'm messing with those things.

Mine was £12 - if I had to replace it every couple of years, I would consider it good value.

Yours, Mike.

• Like 1

You can also get them from stationery suppliers such as Rymans or Colemans.

As stated normal craft knife usage is fine, they are usually double sided so you can turn them over once one side gets tired, I cut an old A3 one in half using a Stanley Knife to use for painting on so you have to be careful with bigger blades.

• RMweb Premium

I've bought four self-healing cutting mats over the years from a number of sources and I've yet to find one that doesn't work as advertised.

There is some variation in surface finish - some are glossier than others. If you shop around you can choose your colour as well as size.

As well as avoiding contact with solvents, I try not to use mine as a base for soldering.

Steven B.

Edited by Steven B