Birkenhead Woodside

Karhedron

Please can anyone help me find a track plan of the GWR's Birkenhead Woodside station? I have tried the R.A. Cooke books without success. Any ideas for other places to look or online resources that might have it?

• RMweb Gold

It wasn't GWR - it was a Joint line between the GWR and LNWR although it was built somewhat earlier by the Chester and Birkenhead.

What time frame ?

I have signal box diagrams for both the Saxby box and the BR replacement.

It wasn't GWR - it was a Joint line between the GWR and LNWR although it was built somewhat earlier by the Chester and Birkenhead.

What time frame ?

Any chance of sharing the later one with us please?

What time frame ?

End of WW2 through to end of WR steam so any diagrams from 1945-1965 would be helpful thanks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Is this for a serious project or just a musing ? - for musings the Godfrey maps show a fair amount of detail, if you are seriously interested then I will take the time to get the plan to here, I only ask because I notice you are also enquiring about South Wales :unsure:

• Like 1

Don't worry, just musings. My current project is only at the baseboard stage, I just like to keep ideas coming. It struck me that Woodside seemed quite modelable with the retaining walls and cramped site. A mainline terminus with a fairly modest footprint.

• RMweb Gold

Here's part of the original drawing for Woodside (BR)

The originals (ca 1930) are exquisite but some of the amendments and/or BR replacements are poorly drawn.

The drawings are too large for the scanner and need lots of hands to keep it safe, there's only me here at the moment so I've scanned the important bit.

post-6662-127853800409_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

talking about ...

I was searching for something else and stumbled over this you might like

http://www.time-capsules.co.uk/picture/number700.asp

some other interesting photos full of character on other subject .. never did find what I was first looking for :D

Interesting comment (among the comments below the pic) that Woodside could claim to be the most northerly station on the GWR. Possibly the most northerly passenger station but not, I believe the most northerly station as the GWR had goods facilities in Manchester (and, although it wasn't GWR of course, I think that Manchester Exchange was probably the most northerly passenger station served by regular timetabled GWR trains hauled by GWR locos).

Now I'll go back to sleep.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Since I am basing my new layout on Birkenhead Woodside, I think this the best place to ask any questions. I will start off by asking about the size of the platforms, both length and width. Since I have already started drawing the plan in Templot, the size of the platforms are quite crucial at this stage. 

These images show platform 1 and 2 (stunning atmospheric shots too):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96859208@N07/10314108086/in/photolist-4RZMfA-9fMfxE-4MpyWs-4Mpz8Y-6w48Pq-4P9y4t-f5mPL7-atHiLb-dUYV1Q-cbd3Fq-f57xZ6-cwYj7u-8z1d65-a9J7B7-4RZM8o-7f3xfz-djjP2h-794mTn-kQseLt-9yKWZk-akMiQd-bHB4CD-5ZrM9P-ah2Wu4-8q6yUh-aag8Gd-8w78rv-gwd29z-k3579L-gkFbdE-gHrbsa-dqXaCy-f5mP7E-bS1DhK-7DNhom-5Y1pHQ-gHquuY-kZLGGU-hWfo79-gtB39H-gHquZL-94tBTK-6HDUhR-eVQQbV-busLG1-9z5cCF-fghK8q-f5mMvs-gwdKtx-dxt94T/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96859208@N07/10314106416/in/photolist-4RZMfA-9fMfxE-4MpyWs-4Mpz8Y-6w48Pq-4P9y4t-f5mPL7-atHiLb-dUYV1Q-cbd3Fq-f57xZ6-cwYj7u-8z1d65-a9J7B7-4RZM8o-7f3xfz-djjP2h-794mTn-kQseLt-9yKWZk-akMiQd-bHB4CD-5ZrM9P-ah2Wu4-8q6yUh-aag8Gd-8w78rv-gwd29z-k3579L-gkFbdE-gHrbsa-dqXaCy-f5mP7E-bS1DhK-7DNhom-5Y1pHQ-gHquuY-kZLGGU-hWfo79-gtB39H-gHquZL-94tBTK-6HDUhR-eVQQbV-busLG1-9z5cCF-fghK8q-f5mMvs-gwdKtx-dxt94T/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96859208@N07/10314240813/in/photolist-4RZMfA-9fMfxE-4MpyWs-4Mpz8Y-6w48Pq-4P9y4t-f5mPL7-atHiLb-dUYV1Q-cbd3Fq-f57xZ6-cwYj7u-8z1d65-a9J7B7-4RZM8o-7f3xfz-djjP2h-794mTn-kQseLt-9yKWZk-akMiQd-bHB4CD-5ZrM9P-ah2Wu4-8q6yUh-aag8Gd-8w78rv-gwd29z-k3579L-gkFbdE-gHrbsa-dqXaCy-f5mP7E-bS1DhK-7DNhom-5Y1pHQ-gHquuY-kZLGGU-hWfo79-gtB39H-gHquZL-94tBTK-6HDUhR-eVQQbV-busLG1-9z5cCF-fghK8q-f5mMvs-gwdKtx-dxt94T

Platform 1 and 2 dimensions are what I require the most at the moment as it is where I am with my plan; and just for anyone interested, some of my work so far which still needs tweaking (notice the extra platform).

post-15291-0-82737100-1398626099_thumb.jpg

Michael

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Interesting comment (among the comments below the pic) that Woodside could claim to be the most northerly station on the GWR. Possibly the most northerly passenger station but not, I believe the most northerly station as the GWR had goods facilities in Manchester (and, although it wasn't GWR of course, I think that Manchester Exchange was probably the most northerly passenger station served by regular timetabled GWR trains hauled by GWR locos).

Now I'll go back to sleep.

Came across this thread whilst new-year musing about a Woodside model...

Birkenhead Woodside was probably the most "northerly" GWR passenger terminus, but it only pips the West Kirby branch terminus by a couple of miles!