Bachmann Presflos

Andy Y

So if I wanted to shuffle 2 or 3 around on a mid-70s shunting layout, which would be the one(s) to go for?

38-260 20 Ton 'Bulk Tunnel Cement' Bauxite

38-261 20 Ton 'Crown Cement' Bauxite

38-270 22 Ton 'Blue Circle' Railfreight Brown

38-271 22 Ton 'Cement Marketing Board -Snowcrete' Light Grey

The first three are Era 5 (late crest BR), and the last is Era 6 (BR pre-tops), but I'm not sure which would be most likely to have survived. Thanks for any help.

• RMweb Gold

Its interesting that Bachmann state that 38-271 is an era 6 model.

In Western Steam in Devon and Cornwall (Micheal Welch ISBN 978-1-85414-327-3) there is a photo of a block train of these wagons heading south through Cowley Bridge Junction behind 2884 2-8-0 No.2891. The photo is dated 22nd August 1963.

Not sure what the traffic flow is but with the forthcomming Hornby release of the 2-8-0 it will be possible to recreate with rtr.

EDIT: Although on closer inspection I see these are missing the red 'snowcrete' branding present on the model.

The model picture by tetsudofan shows that the Bachmann joint is quite noticeable and could be filled down a little.

Again, I'd reserve judgment til you've seen a model - on the two I have so far (Crown and BCC grey), it's nowhere near as evident. Certainly nothing a subtle crudding wouldnt minimise

So if I wanted to shuffle 2 or 3 around on a mid-70s shunting layout, which would be the one(s) to go for?

38-260 20 Ton 'Bulk Tunnel Cement' Bauxite

38-261 20 Ton 'Crown Cement' Bauxite

38-270 22 Ton 'Blue Circle' Railfreight Brown

38-271 22 Ton 'Cement Marketing Board -Snowcrete' Light Grey

The first three are Era 5 (late crest BR), and the last is Era 6 (BR pre-tops), but I'm not sure which would be most likely to have survived

38 270 is TOPS coded, hence it's post-1975 unless you alter/hide the lettering; any of the others could conceivably have seen the 70s I'd have thought (and the 'Crown' is in any case just a representational paper poster on the end support, so could be rubbed off or weathered over)

Its interesting that Bachmann state that 38-271 is an era 6 model.

In Western Steam in Devon and Cornwall (Micheal Welch ISBN 978-1-85414-327-3) there is a photo of a block train of these wagons heading south through Cowley Bridge Junction behind 2884 2-8-0 No.2891. The photo is dated 22nd August 1963.

38 270 is TOPS coded, hence it's post-1975 unless you alter/hide the lettering; any of the others could conceivably have seen the 70s I'd have thought

Okay, thanks chaps, I'm beginning to suspect Bachmann's Era system has gone a little awry with these ones.

I think it'll have to be 38-271, 22 Ton 'Cement Marketing Board -Snowcrete' Light Grey - suitable timescale and the best livery in my view.

I gather the additonal part is the discharge pipe to be connected underneath. But where to attach is something that will have to wait until I have one in my hands.

Tangentially, I have a couple of the old Wrenn Presflo bottoms that were sold as limestone hoppers. Unless I am much mistaken, the first Presflo like vehicle was diagram 1/273, lower than the finalised Presflo design, and I am eyeing up these old remnants for conversion to this type. Anyone know where and when they ran?

Tangentially, I have a couple of the old Wrenn Presflo bottoms that were sold as limestone hoppers. Unless I am much mistaken, the first Presflo like vehicle was diagram 1/273, lower than the finalised Presflo design, and I am eyeing up these old remnants for conversion to this type. Anyone know where and when they ran?

The very first Presflo was of a lower height; some 'brave new world'- type pics appeared of it in a BRILL some years ago, but it was later rebuilt to standard height. I dont know OTTOMH if it had a different diagram, but I cant think what else that would be. I think the same article also showed the end discharge, and it wouldnt surprise me if that's where Barwell got their idea from

Sorry ,try again

My link

Thanks for this link: some very interesting stuff there, especially (for me) a description of the Conflat 'L'. I always wondered what they were designed to carry. I am also running a rake of "Cemflos" and it looks as though I shall have to reduce the train-speed (I get enough derailments already).

• RMweb Premium

With the presflos, comes a small black part in a pack, can anybody tell me what this is/were it goes?

Thanks

It's the discharge pipe and can only be fitted (and becomes clear where) when you remove the auto coupling and its mounting block from the non-vacuum cylinder end (see my earlier post (previous page))...

Thanks for this link: some very interesting stuff there, especially (for me) a description of the Conflat 'L'. I always wondered what they were designed to carry. I am also running a rake of "Cemflos" and it looks as though I shall have to reduce the train-speed (I get enough derailments already).

There are photos demonstrating a container from a Conflat L being emptied by the bottom doors in Geoff Kent's 4mm wagon series. I think its part 3 accompanying his item on scratchbuilding the conflats as well as building Bill Bedford's kit for them.

Thanks for this link: some very interesting stuff there, especially (for me) a description of the Conflat 'L'. I always wondered what they were designed to carry.????

They were also used to carry dolomite to steelworks where it was used to line open hearth furnaces and to fettle them (make good) between casts.? 

Couple of pictures of one of the two I picked up today, ??7.50 each so actually cheaper than Hattons individually and no postage.. Wider gauge users will note the wheels fit but on this one the brakes on one side aren't central to the wheels being far away from them on one side and in front of the wheel on the other. Not why this is as I would have though the tab and slot would be an accurate fit.

post-174-12647914502954_thumb.jpg

post-174-126479146316_thumb.jpg

post-174-12647920618714_thumb.jpg

post-174-12647915109347_thumb.jpg

I did think a vacuum cylinder was missing off my other one until I noted the lack of changeover switch.

Does anyone have a picture of the Cement Marketing Board one?

Hattons pictures are quite good. I didn't buy that one though as i've only seen them in bauxite in my pictures although the TOPs panel on the one above needs to go.

http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=26882

So did I get that pipe thing in the right place? No idea, will have to study the prototype shots but it seems to go from no where to nowhere at the moment. Bachmann really needed to give people a clue with that one! One of the body to solebar ribs fell off while playing with this one too so that'll need gluing back.

post-174-12647936187552_thumb.jpg

post-174-12647936335853_thumb.jpg

post-174-1264793644284_thumb.jpg

post-174-12647939368963_thumb.jpg

Ladders come out easy enough, the brakes aren't central on this one either I noticed with the wider wheels. Screw in coupling pockets is nice though. Plastic seems much more like the Hornby wagons in this and bending the w-irons quite a challenge.

Getting the roof off for weighting could prove interesting though!

• RMweb Gold

Last week I made an enquiry to Lord and Butler about this pack and they were kind enough to send me an image of the 3 wagons.

Weathered versions are available too.

post-7026-12644403512521_thumb.jpg

Permission was obtained from Adrian Butler to post up his image.

I think they look rather good.

I had a look at some of Adrian's weathered samples yesterday and they looked absolutely superb. Satisfied customer etc...;)

Dave Larkin let me use his b/w pic of PF100 (APCM 8700) complete with a 'Snowcrete' lettered CMC board in my 1989 book on PO wagons (Modern Private Owner Wagons on British Rail pub. PSL), his pic being taken at Radstock wagon works in 1974.

When researching that work I corresponded with Blue Circle who confirmed that their first batch of Presflos had indeed been painted yellow. However, as this was quickly overlaid with cement dust it was decided that subsequent vehicles would be delivered in grey and any requiring a repaint would be similarly treated but in later years it became difficult to tell the base colour of many of these vehicles, particularly as the original yellow did not weather well.

David R

• RMweb Gold
Ladders come out easy enough, the brakes aren't central on this one either I noticed with the wider wheels. Screw in coupling pockets is nice though. Plastic seems much more like the Hornby wagons in this and bending the w-irons quite a challenge

So did you need to take any plastic off the underframe, just to get the P4 wheels in, Craig?

So did you need to take any plastic off the underframe, just to get the P4 wheels in, Craig?

Nope, they were in a couple of mins after I walked through the door. To run smoothly though the brakes that aren't central need a little look at as they scrape slightly. Brakes do look a bit 1970s in the way they are in front of the wheels though. Trickiest part would be getting the roof off really to weight it as they are very light.

Guest Max Stafford

I received a small rake of eight Tunnel Cement examples today. I think these are the 'steam era' wagon of the year. A complex design , very nicely rendered. I might have a couple of TOPS-era wagons for my 1975-era collection, but the rake of eight will look rather nice behind a Clayton. Would a brake van be required post '68 if hauled by a Clayton. I suspect this would be the case with the 17 being a single-cab type, but I'd appreciate confirmation.

Dave.

I received a small rake of eight Tunnel Cement examples today. I think these are the 'steam era' wagon of the year. A complex design , very nicely rendered. I might have a couple of TOPS-era wagons for my 1975-era collection, but the rake of eight will look rather nice behind a Clayton. Would a brake van be required post '68 if hauled by a Clayton. I suspect this would be the case with the 17 being a single-cab type, but I'd appreciate confirmation.

Dave.

Not sure about the guard arrangement with the unions but the brake van may have been needed at the destination for propelling or shunting purposes so you could stick one on in any case.

Archived