Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann Presflos

Andy Y

The APCM Presflos still assigned to Hope in November 1984 were: APCM 8606/9/11/17/18/24/32/37/38/45/47/59/62/63/66/68/71/72/74/78//82-84/86/88-91/99/702/4/10/21/37/39/43/48/54/65/68/80/81/95/97/808/21/25/27.

By March 1986 this number had grown to 145, although many could be found in store at various sidings along the Hope valley line in addition to Earles as the only destinations that were still taking them were Ferriby and Northenden.

When I have time I will drop you further details.

David R

Hello David, many thanks for those running numbers. I can remember seeing the Northenden services pass through Hazel Grove where I live in 1986 during the construction of the Chord line, which opened to traffic in May 1986. I have a photo somewhere of a 47 taking a rake of empty Presflos back to Earles Sdgs somewhere!

Thanks Paul

I think you've got the discharge pipe (the pipe thing) at the wrong end...it should be at the non-vacuum cylinder end of the wagon where the inner end of the add-on pipe butts up to the pipework that is connected to the bigger hand wheel. Easier to do than say, but I think all will become clear when you try it!!

Hi,

I have up loaded some photos on to my fotopic site of the Presflows and how I fitted the pipe.

http://galleryroy.fo...t/c1812727.html

I would have posted them on here, but wasn't able too.

I have now up loaded them, to RMweb and are in the gallery below.

Regards

Roy

A friend of mine sent me this link from the British Pathe film web site as there is footage of a block train of Presflos in grey and more importantly in yellow but the hole film clip is worth watching.

My link

Terry

Good spot, and an excellent film. The last few seconds also feature the unloading process - a diorama in the making perhaps?

Adam

For those with slow internet connections the "stills" feature is useful - you can select every second if you want. ? Stills can also be saved. ? Good close ups of a Presflo being unloaded right at end. ? 

Any chance of one of the model lorry manufacturers coming up with the cement delivery tanker?

Cheers,

26power

A friend of mine sent me this link from the British Pathe film web site as there is footage of a block train of Presflos in grey and more importantly in yellow but the hole film clip is worth watching.

My link

Terry

My link

Terry

Thanks for the link - and its not just the Presflos! It is a goldmine of really useful stuff - it sets the period so well...

Found another potentially useful photo here:

http://www.2d53.co.u...5yrsago0779.htm

It's a bit 'in the distance', but interesting for the rake nearer the camera where the Presflos get progressively more cementy from right to left. Illustrates just how dusty they really did get. Not sure about the attached coach - is it just shunted next to the rake or actually part of it?

(cracking website btw, someone posted a link to it on here in a thread somewhere, and I've been making my way through it over the last few days - lots of useful reference shots)

Found another potentially useful photo here:

... Not sure about the attached coach - is it just shunted next to the rake or actually part of it?

The caption does say it's a departmental - some were used as mess/dorm vans and the like. Excellent shot, although it's worth bearing in mind the effect of distance - that overall coating would look less uniform at close quarters

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

thanks for the reply ian much appreciated. As far as i can remember the following were used for delabole slate:

D1/210 covhop were trialled - couldn't have been much good! Replaced by

D1/272 presflo from the 3361 batch ( 5 or so inc 87334x (last no not known)) - these were bauxite and lettered as above but were replaced by

D1/272 from the blue ICI 3129 batch inc 888181, 888183 & 888192 and i think they carried just the words 'bulk delafila'.

It's the middle batch i want to do and it would be great to see a photo of those to confirm the livery and lettering info i was given in a letter a while back - sods law there are loads of shots of the ex ici wagons!

Think I'll get a tower cement wagon at the stafford show tomorrow to do an ex ici anyway.

Thanks again - if anyone has any info on the illusive pre-ici wagons that would be much appreciated

Hussar!

I bought a copy of TVP's 'By Southern to the Far West Vol Two' at Nottingham show and was just sitting watching a few bits from it.

6:16 into the DVD is a scene at Halwill and lo, it came to pass that there arrived an N class with Slate Presflo in tow. It's a colour bit of film so it can clearly be seen that the wagon is in Bauxite. The final wagon number is not fully visible (the rib hides it from the camera) but you can see just the LHS of the final number and it's a continuous straight line. In my book this makes the wagon number B873341.

I've taken a screen grab but for copyright reasons won't post it on this thread.

That's great Chris, I can feel your excitement from herebiggrin.gif

With the resources we have available, it shows that the answer is often out there, it's just finding it... kinda frightens me what unsolved mysteries are lurking out there on some DVD or otherunsure.gif

• RMweb Premium

That's great Chris, I can feel your excitement from herebiggrin.gif

With the resources we have available, it shows that the answer is often out there, it's just finding it... kinda frightens me what unsolved mysteries are lurking out there on some DVD or otherunsure.gif

Thanks Ian

I've only seen about 10mins of the DVD but something that i couldn't help but notice was the amount of interesting stock behind the locos - both passenger and freight. Usual Maunsell P-sets everywhere but also a LNER full brake, Pigeon van, COVHOP and BRCW 3 coach set. And that's just what i quickly spotted! Makes me think i should watch some of the other DVDs....

• 7 months later...

They kept pretty quiet about them. They aren't even mentioned on the arrived in last 30 days/due in 60 days list. I don't think anyone else was expecting them either, as I haven't seen them listed as forthcoming on any other site.

I must admit that I thought it was odd up until now that Bachmann hadn't done another run of these wagons when they sold out so quickly. Perhaps they will have done much bigger production runs this time?

They kept pretty quiet about them. They aren't even mentioned on the arrived in last 30 days/due in 60 days list. I don't think anyone else was expecting them either, as I haven't seen them listed as forthcoming on any other site.

Cant find it now (obviouslyrolleyes.gif) but there was a link to MREmag a few days ago that mentioned them as imminent

Couple of shots of Northenden with the cement wagons in use on the Hope-Northendon trip in the mid eighties. Train loco is 40 126 (the great train robbery loco)

They ran as complete blocks as seen here. I lived in Manchester until the late eighties and regularly saw and photgraphed these trains.

Hope this helps

MW

The APCM Presflos still assigned to Hope in November 1984 were: APCM 8606/9/11/17/18/24/32/37/38/45/47/59/62/63/66/68/71/72/74/78//82-84/86/88-91/99/702/4/10/21/37/39/43/48/54/65/68/80/81/95/97/808/21/25/27.

By March 1986 this number had grown to 145, although many could be found in store at various sidings along the Hope valley line in addition to Earles as the only destinations that were still taking them were Ferriby and Northenden.

When I have time I will drop you further details.

David R

post-9992-075232400 1292607865_thumb.jpg

post-9992-030942800 1292607887_thumb.jpg

Couple of shots of Northenden with the cement wagons in use on the Hope-Northendon trip in the mid eighties. Train loco is 40 126 (the great train robbery loco)

They ran as complete blocks as seen here. I lived in Manchester until the late eighties and regularly saw and photgraphed these trains.

Hope this helps

MW

Ahhh - those were the days - do you have any general shots of Northenden terminal - looks like a very compact site - think I've just found that corner filler........... :D

Thanks

I'll dig out my 1980's shots. I was in Manchester today and took some up to date images. I'll sort out a thread in UK prototypes.

MW

Many thanks - certain of the Bachmann Scenecraft buildings series (other manufacturers ready-made buildings are available :D ) will provide a great basis for this..............

• 3 months later...

Just bought a couple of Presflos and they are very nice models. It took a while to fathom out where the extra bit of plastic goes and I think I have that sorted now and conclude it can only be fitted if you remove the tension lock couplings. Not a problem until you discover the buffers seem to be only 11 inches diameter and not 13 inches so could present difficulties when propelling. Has anyone had any thoughts or done any mods to their buffers to get round this perceive problem?

Archived