Carrick Road. A few new additions........

BlackRat

• RMweb Premium

The realistic 'home' sized proportions of the layout was something that attracted me to this layout when it first appeared in Model Rail. At the time it was close to the 12'x7' space that I could have used and had stock on that I liked! Very different to the large club layouts that often fill mags but are out of scale with the home environment.

Mind you I never got to use the home space for my own layout and instead got involved building a 32' long exhibition layout with friends. There's logic there somewhere.....

• Like 1

Chris......I shouldn't moan (well I dont) but its funny how you soon fill the space available.

The layout has ended up like nothing it started out to be, the original plan being to have a station type awning over it all, with hidden lighting, backscene painted onto wall and a higher baseboard!

No idea how we ended up where we are, impatience I think!

Still fingers crossed I get to reach retirement from the plod (its currently being forced upon us) and off we go again!:lol:

I will (try) to go back to the original concept and keen to explore helix's dropping down to hidden storage roads so in effect the layout will become a U shaped (sort of) dog bone with a through station perhaps something like Otterham, Camelford etc or..................Wadebridge!:blink:

By doing it this way and 'folding' the layout it will give a run of about24' to 26' with the sidings approx 15" below the main boards.

Well, thats the sort of loose plan anyway!

Another of the reworked area's......

post-7061-0-76784100-1296999642_thumb.jpg

The loco is a Silver Fox Baby Warship, now running on a Bacchy class 20 chassis, yup I know its wrong but am awaiting the Dapol model so there's little point doing anymore work on this one (for now!).

It originally ran on a chopped up and double motored Hornby class 29, but a nice gent from DEMU pointed me in the direction of the class 20.

Bubbles on here has a superb example of what you can do to the Silver Fox jobby when you put the time in, unlike my version!

The clay hoods, are scratchbuilt and there's 15 or so of them.

The lane was still being worked on, as was the 'wooded' area behind, see the lumberjacks have been at work there!:P

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

What a day!

Had Chris Nevard here today taking pics of the layout. Had a blind panic last couple of days as I realised how much still needed to be done!

Chris is a top man though and it was well worth the effort.

A first though was actually weathering stock moments before he took some of the pictures and with the models still wet! Things were that close.

I cant wait to see what he has done, his work is exemplary but in the meantime here are a couple more of the new bits, and yes, they were tweaked again beofre Chris's arrival!

post-7061-0-20367400-1298491910_thumb.jpg

A view up Station Road.

• Like 4

Hi BlackRat

I very much like what you have done with the new bit on your layout, top bit of workbiggrin.gif.

Yes you are right ,Mr Nevard is a top man, as i had him down a few month ago to do a photo shoot on my layout and i was weathering some of my stuff while he was here!laugh.gif

Glad to hear that your layout will be going into Model Rail, well done!

Keep up the good work

All the best

Darren

Another of the reworked area's......

post-7061-0-76784100-1296999642_thumb.jpg

The loco is a Silver Fox Baby Warship, now running on a Bacchy class 20 chassis, yup I know its wrong but am awaiting the Dapol model so there's little point doing anymore work on this one (for now!).

It originally ran on a chopped up and double motored Hornby class 29, but a nice gent from DEMU pointed me in the direction of the class 20.

Bubbles on here has a superb example of what you can do to the Silver Fox jobby when you put the time in, unlike my version!

The clay hoods, are scratchbuilt and there's 15 or so of them.

The lane was still being worked on, as was the 'wooded' area behind, see the lumberjacks have been at work there!:P

Hi Neil, thought I felt my ears burning.

The layouts looking good, can we expect to see you in MR again seeing as Mr Nevard has just paid you a visit?

Thanks for the kind comment. Here's a pic of D6347, Silver Fox on a Pair of Black Beattles with spocked wheels fitted, its been doing sterling service on my Layout for nearly as many years as the real ones lasted on BR.

DSCF3586.jpg

• Like 3

It's was a pleasure and honour to photograph such a fine layout. Mr BlackRat you have done such an excellent job blending the old with the new too. I'm now back from my 2 day jolly (sorry - assignment) to the wild west and now have rather a lot of photographs to sort out :D

Chris, likewise! And still got ALL the choccy cake and biscuits to!

Look forward to seeing the results, hope the Capn didn't lead you to far from the beaten tracks!

Will see you all being well in April.

Thanks again for what was a highlight! A great day indeed!:D :D :D

Cheers!

Inspired my Mr Nevard, been fiddling with my own (!) new camera.

If only I was half as good, still here are a few I prepared ealrier lol..........

post-7061-0-41270900-1298723495_thumb.jpg

Preparing for the road mk1

post-7061-0-72220400-1298723610_thumb.jpg

Clear road ahead! Almost fresh from the works, D7039 is backing up to its train, before the early afternoon run to Exeter.

• Like 1

post-7061-0-11008700-1298837091_thumb.jpg

One of the Kernow Shops new limited Cornish Boxes, very nice indeed and certainly miles better than one I scratchbuilt about 15 years ago!

Lets hope they do some dries next!:lol:

Modular of course with some nice other bits like huts, chimneys etc.

imagine how many min space layouts that would start off!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Can't wait to see it in print again and see all the changes . I still have copies of the other articles in my file of favourite layouts.

Ditto. Had a mass cull of mags before Christmas and kept not that much, but all the Carrick Rd articles made it into preservation!

• Like 1

Hi very nice layout,could you tell me who make's the crane in the picture?

cheers

A retired colleague (cheers Dave!) brought a 'bag of bits' over recently and "Could I paint them?" ........:blink:

and of course he meant a re paint and or weather.:rolleyes: :D

So had a bit of a go using the new (well new to me) Modelmates weathering spray dye.

Took a little getting used to, but I think the cranes sort of look ok ish.:)

I did some fine work with the airbrush and just a little dry brushing but highly reccomend them.

post-7061-0-46173800-1296590378_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks Mickey, hope alls well :)

Just a few quick 'snaps' which I have just rattled off, lates today so will try and suss a few over the weekend for comparison.

In the meantime,.........................

post-7061-0-06396600-1334315408_thumb.jpg

Hopefully this shows where the tracks (and shed) have been lifted, mainly due to much of the old freight now going by road transport.

There's also a new approach road to the 'yard' area and a gate to allow acces into the Southerns property.

I really MUST do something about a 'proper' Cornish station building, think a bit of Otterham etc is called for.....?

post-7061-0-05258400-1334315435_thumb.jpg

Still plenty to do, but you can see now where the box has moved to the 'near' end of the now 'down' line. The token for the single line to Carrick Road will be exchanged here (once I get round to making it!).

Theres a few buildings which need sorting, probably going to build a smallish good shed to fit in, bit like on the original layout (I still have the buildings somewhere!!)

Neil

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

I like the man sweeping the platform! Neil, pay him at double rate as the station is immaculate!

It's a long time since I looked at your original Model Rail articles. But remind me - what did you use to make the trees and vegetation...was it just good old Woodland Scenics?

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

Wonderful stuff Neil, it proves that it;s not just Pasties and Bright shirts in Cornwall then Boy. As for the Station Building, check out Bachmanns new one for this year it may just work for you. I have been re reading your last few articles in M.R. and have surcummed to an M7, Pannier and Westwood Ho as a start for my next project. I wanted a show layout but it will probably end up in a U shape in my 9 x 7 den so a lot smaller than your masterpiece. MORE PIC'S PLEASE. All the best Andy.

• Like 2

Jeff, he is on piecework! Andy Y has asked me to do a quick piece for the next MI(4) re making the trees, a very simple quick and easy way, and hopefully they dont look to bad.

Andy, having seen the station on the likes of Treneglos, well there's no choice, going to have to build one from scratch!

Here's more from yesterday, and will try to take a few better ones when I can.........

post-7061-0-70709600-1334397675_thumb.jpg

Hopefully looking less cluttered than the previous incarnation!

Never drove the mini, but my Dad used one similar on his beat duties, awkward no doubt, as like me, he was well over 6' tall!

• Like 5

post-7061-0-05694700-1334399928_thumb.jpg

And one on a 'box brownie' :)

post-7061-0-49335600-1334399974_thumb.jpg

Come on back Mr Nevard!!!!! ;) :)

Just for info, the Ratio Footbridge was retrieved from a skip (yes I had the ok!!) and has had to be cut apart and rejigged, never easy with glued plastic so I will get a new one. The smoke deflectors were lashed up from plasticard and Evergreen strip.

Scenery is a mixture of hanging basket liner and electrostatic grass (and no, despite one or two of you praying, I didn't get zapped!!).

I was however left with quite hairy palms and fingers from using the liner and carpet spray glue, perhaps its the signs of a mis spent youth emerging at last!

Track is the usual Peco code 75. Ballasted and sprayed, then Modelmated!

The two lengths of 60' section have had two holes drilled in each end for the fish plate bolts, which adds a nice touch I think.

The bridge (note no bus) consists of a couple of Peco girders and its all been airbrushed then Modelmates spray dye used in my reverse dry brushing technique.

The water crane is made up from Evergreen tube sections, with the bag or hose made from tissue, shaped and flooded with super glue then painted and dry brushed.

Platforms are made from wood strip lengths, cut to the right height on a table saw, covered in Wills random stone which has been sprayed, weathered then drybrushed. The surfaces are artists mounting card, sprayed with grey primer, then using a 4 or 5h pencil the individual stones are embossed on, before one or two being highlighted. Model Mates completes the hopefully paving effect.

Signals are a mix of Ratio and scratched up or bashed using Evergeen and Ratio or etched arms. They work, but only by basic interaction from me! :)

Still a bit to do, will keep things posted............

Edited by BlackRat
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Neil, will look at the article in MI4 (good job it's not in MI5 or MI6 or it would be Top Secret. Sorry!).

What do you plan to do when this present incarnation of Carrick Road is finished? Maybe do the same as Tetleys - move house and start again?

Very enjoyable from MR in 1999 (?) to the present.

Jeff

• Like 1