Carrick Road. A few new additions........

BlackRat

I have been having a periodic clean out today, and came across a couple of box-files of my 'flights of fantasy' models.

These were all built several years ago, the idea being freelance builds based on prototype practice.

The models consisted of Parkside sides, cut and shut to give new sides based firmly (I think) on what the Southern might have produced!

The underframes etc are built from Evergreen sections with bogies courtesy of Bachmann.. Roof vents etc and grilled by MJT.

Batery boxes are the wonderful ABS ones (in assorted sizes) along with dyanmo's etc etc etc.

The bogies also run on a crude form of suspension, lashed up from old Mainline coupling springs, crude but they work, no wobble!

I must admit to having got carried away! Theres loads of them in one guise or another!

Anyway, here's an example...........

post-7061-0-61646600-1348415471_thumb.jpg

This particular bogie parcels and luggage van was built exclusively for the line, when the Southern was in open competition with the GWR for

the Atlantic liner trade. The tortuous route and exchange at Wadebridge meant that it was quicker for the Southern to attract liners to

Ilfracombe, or more importantly (and successfully) Plymouth Millbay.........the rest is history.

Still the van ran on for many years, usually attached to the first up express to Waterloo, returning with the overnight mail and papers.

I've just changed the couplings over, quick bit of plastic surgery so no doubt it will be back 'in service' over the next few days!

Edited by BlackRat

• 8 months later...

Rich yes it's def on the cards!

I keep working and re working the plan as I basically won't a continuous run, with a helix to go from the upper level to a double yard underneath.

Well, that's the theory, but I am struggling re the space needed for the helix!

I have 10 months or so left in the old bill, then I finish so one of the plans is a possible relocation, if not for us then def the layout!

The station building is Skaledale, with a few additions and there's a fair bit still to do with it, but they are nice and versatile if you take the buildings as a starting point.

I now have a 100mm base unit FULL..........as its now what I get for Chrimbo,, birthdays etc is Skaledale and Scenecraft! :)

• Like 1

No probs........take one wrapper from a bar of Lidls choccy, it's quite thick foil and gold on one side.

Cut roughly to size and then scrunch up a few times to get the creases.

Then spray with any grey primer.

Next I splodge some cheap black poster paint over it and wipe off, dabbing some more on in small areas.

Whilst wet I do the same with white, the lot then tends to mix into different hues.

Add some darker paint into the creases and let dry.

Finally dry brush with the white.

Each one takes about 10 mins or so from start to finish, including fitting (with contact adhesive).

The 'loads' are just bits of foam, roughly hacked to shape to resemble something or other.

You can also use a white gel pen t add destinations, numbers etc and small pieces of paper for labels.

Now when I find the 'rope' I WILL get round to tying them down.

More pics if required here.....................

Edited by BlackRat
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah - foil! I've been messing with tissue paper but can never get the 'look' of it right, and it's difficult to drape & form to shape. Foil must be easier as I imagine it hold the shape & creases better.

Cheers Neil - something else to try!

Heres a few more pics, variations on a theme really!

post-7061-0-18482200-1371833541_thumb.jpg

post-7061-0-66069100-1371833599_thumb.jpg

and a slightly different angle.........

post-7061-0-39582300-1371833712_thumb.jpg

And I STILL cant find the 'rope'!!

DON'T worry about getting the tarps 100% straight, a quick look on Paul Bartletts wagon site reveals some 'well dodgy' angles, especially in BR days!

Edited by BlackRat
  • Like 4

And talking of completely different.....

post-7061-0-02593800-1371990016_thumb.jpg

It's funny how you don't really notice the join in the boiler till you take a close up pic!

Few added details and a bit of weathering.............

What do you think?

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

It's funny how you don't really notice the join in the boiler till you take a close up pic!

What do you think?

Fabulous and Fred Dibnah would have loved it too. ;) Excellent weathering.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

What do you think?

That's nice, don't worry about the boiler join, we don't worry about 16.5mm now do we.

Andy

EDIT= = YES, brilliant weathering.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

Ta!

Nothing really special on the roller, it's quite tricky to mess about with, being die cast.

I added the steering chains using fine chain........I buy girls necklaces from Claire's for the chain, by far the cheapest supplier!

It's roughly based on my neighbours old roller (which I think is now at Dingles steam village) including the rear lamp and tarps.

He is a BR driver and we had a red tail lamp on the back!

Dunno how Fred D put up with the bone shaking thing a roller is as a few miles around Saltash was more than enough for me!!!!!

The weathering this time is a combo of ModelMates oily brown, wiped away when dry with a cotton bud dipped in IPA! Then some lit dusting with weathering powders.

His roller always had an oily sheen, except for the top which had a dusty ashy finish, attempted here with a dusting of grey primer.

• Like 2