Modern Era Layout

alcoRS1

post-6841-046254400 1287515449_thumb.jpg

first 100" of the 468 inches of my backdrop

looking for an affordable printing company in the area, I want to keep all this under $250

One of my customers used a local sign printer who did it on a banner material,I think a kind of vinyl ..might be worth checking out rather than a regular printers ...

Regards Trevor .. :D

• 5 weeks later...

I have not posted in awhile, my father was in town. I have solved my back drop problem, I will print my backdrop as 18" x 12", on good paper using a laser color, it will be prinited professionally then stitched together on the backdrop board. I hope to get the first 8ft down this next week, but might end up the week after due to thanks giving.

Wife gave me $650 for Christmas, still not sure what I will spend it on, I have $250 in the train fund, but I just spent $350 so I am down to $550.

the $350 purchased another UPY genset, plus detailing parts to redo all the handrails, add extra details on. Plus 1 refrigeration car, and another 4 tank cars (all acid, but I will make some caustic soda, seeing it a really nice chemical to have around).

post-6841-005924600 1290237598_thumb.jpg

I wanted to get a track mobile, but I want a vehicle that can work both side of the car, so this modified JCB with knuckle will work lafarge cement,

They wouldn't put a coupler in the tractor unless they had all the area between the rails paved. You'll shred those really expensive tires on the rail and spike heads. Normally you just use a tractor or front end loader and just pull along with a chain or shove with the bucket.

• 2 weeks later...

They wouldn't put a coupler in the tractor unless they had all the area between the rails paved. You'll shred those really expensive tires on the rail and spike heads. Normally you just use a tractor or front end loader and just pull along with a chain or shove with the bucket.

Photos I took back in 1986 at a grain elevator in Selma, North Carolina - coupler welded on the back end of the front end loader...

post-751-091390500 1291340468_thumb.jpg

post-751-093624800 1291340492_thumb.jpg

Modern Google maps view: http://maps.google.c...005445&t=k&z=18

Photos I took back in 1986 at a grain elevator in Selma, North Carolina - coupler welded on the back end of the front end loader...

post-751-091390500 1291340468_thumb.jpg

post-751-093624800 1291340492_thumb.jpg

Modern Google maps view: http://maps.google.c...005445&t=k&z=18

Dear Craig,

Based on the obviously huge range of L<>R coupler swing built into that mechanism, I bet the minimum radii of that "loco" is pretty amazing... ;)

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

I note the coupler is offset on the loader... looks to be almost in line with one set of tyres. So dave1905's point is still valid - the coupler there seems to be positioned to avoid the tyres running anywhere near the rails/spikes. Of course the track is well-set in the ground fill, too; not quite 'paved' but almost as good!! Nice pics Craig, thanks for posting!! :) ;)

I note the coupler is offset on the loader... looks to be almost in line with one set of tyres. So dave1905's point is still valid - the coupler there seems to be positioned to avoid the tyres running anywhere near the rails/spikes. Of course the track is well-set in the ground fill, too; not quite 'paved' but almost as good!! Nice pics Craig, thanks for posting!! :) ;)

Look closely - that coupler looks like it can be moved left to right...which I had not noticed before. And look at the second photo - notice how the ground around the rail itself is muddied. And remembering what that operation looked like 25 years ago...I'm not sure they positioned that coupler offset for any reason concerning the track or tires! cool.gif

in the second picture is it pushing with the bucket against the hopper coupler ? If so they are not worried about wheels on rails while moving the stock around.

Now, remember I shot those photos in 1986...but I don't recall them pushing with the bucket. I remember the driver jockeying the loader around to get into position and that may have been what he was doing there.

I see the local scrape yard moving gondolas with a bucket tracker, some times push 6 - 7 at a time, but gondolas are beat up to begin with, and can take more pressure, I would not think the same for a covered hopper.

in the second picture is it pushing with the bucket against the hopper coupler ? If so they are not worried about wheels on rails while moving the stock around.

Its not a matter of running the wheels on top of the rails, its running the wheels AGAINST the rails and the spike heads. I have watched rubber tired rerailing equipment ride over and along the rails losing big chunks of tires. Not that the track section is completely filled with crushed rock so the tractors are running OVER the rails not on the ties. Plus if you run the rubber tires on the tire up into a switch you can wedge the rubber tire in the narrowing portions of the rails.

Here's watcha need:

IMG_5883.jpg

I have an OMI and one of these: http://factorydirecttrains.com/trackmobile.aspx My personal opinion...? The 'Factory Direct Trains' is pretty good indeed particularly when you consider the price difference - $100 plus bucks less. It also comes in a DCC version. The difference in detail between the OMI and FDT models is virtually zero. Once weathered it would be difficult to discern, if at all.

Not seen the Broadway Ltd version yet so can't comment. Anyhoo alco, just a thought... :blink:

Cheers, Tony

I have an OMI and one of these: http://factorydirect...rackmobile.aspx My personal opinion...? The 'Factory Direct Trains' is pretty good indeed particularly when you consider the price difference - $100 plus bucks less. It also comes in a DCC version. The difference in detail between the OMI and FDT models is virtually zero. Once weathered it would be difficult to discern, if at all.

Not seen the Broadway Ltd version yet so can't comment. Anyhoo alco, just a thought... :blink:

Cheers, Tony

Thanks Tony,

good to know, thought OMI has the 4150, which is the one I would what, but for the sake of saving money the broadway will be fine.

I believe the broadway and the FDT are the same, so I am lead to believe.

The FDT one is actually the 4850 Magnum - I know, since I have this exact model - runs like a champ :D And the FDT one was made by Broadway Limited for FDT.

TMTM1-1.jpg

The shot above is the one that used to be on the FDT website, but since it is now sold out, you can't see it. :blink:

You can see it on the Broadway Limited - Trackmobile Page

Gil, known as Bill somedays ... B)

Archived