Embankment Road T&RSMD

Steadfast

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll have to see what I can do to the Western when I 'Championise' it :locomotive:

I too have high hopes on the 59 Stuart, a future layout plan needs a few. I hope it's more than just a new shell on the 66 chassis. What I've seen so far of the 33 and the 50 bodes well, and the Western does seem a definite improvement on the 86, 58 and 56, so fingers crossed. I've no need for a 33, but it'd be so tempting to get one, or indeed several...

jo

• 3 months later...

Very much so!!

That looks very tidy, funnily enough last night I stripped down an 08 to do 644 in its shabby green livery as it was last year.

So we've had black at Landore, and blue at Laira. Dare I suggest Intercity swallow and NSE next? :-p

jo

• Like 1

Very much so!!

That looks very tidy, funnily enough last night I stripped down an 08 to do 644 in its shabby green livery as it was last year.

So we've had black at Landore, and blue at Laira. Dare I suggest Intercity swallow and NSE next? :-p

jo

NSE would be nice on 641, trouble is 644 was the only one of our shunters that was in Intercity so we couldn't do that one here.

E

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya,

Yes indeed were at Plymouth in 2013, a mini homecoming for the layout I guess!

Here's the start of progress to Baby Laira-ise a Farish 08. The FGW 08s are all fitted with drophead buckeyes for shunting the mk3 stock. I've adapted a McHenry buckeye to fit the NEM socket of the Farish 08 to represent this. It puts the coupler at the right height for the bufferbeam mounted Microtrains buckeye on the coaching stock.

post-6899-0-90779000-1395613378_thumb.jpg

The plastic centreing spring is removed from the coupler and the top tongue and little amount from each side is removed from the inner NEM pocket. The pocket is padded out with plastic rod, with the coupler mounted on top of this. The mounting height is thus higher than the NEM centreline (like if I'd used a Dapol NEM buckeye) and is compatible with the prototypically mounted buckeyes on my mk3s. The next stage will be to spray the loco up in faded FGW green as 08644, hopefully finished in time for the RMweb day at Taunton.

I'll try to get some better photos when I do the second coupler now I know the 'prototype' version works.

jo

Edited by ewsjo
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments guys, glad to know it's appreciated!

I've done a little more work to the 08, adding some detail to the roof and blanking off the holes for the extra markers that they carried earlier in their life

Here's a picture of the roof of 08644

IMG_7257-08644-L.jpg

And my attempt at recreating it. The GSM-R aerial is tiny! It should stand out once painted light grey though and standing out from the rest of the roof

post-6899-0-30971800-1396527218_thumb.jpg

I'm starting to think this may not be completely finished by Taunton, but whatever state it's in I'll have it with me

jo

• Like 7

Thanks for that one, that's a bit brighter than 644! I do like a consistent corporate look across a scene, though the BR blue does look neater than the faded liveries carried previously, Not as fun to model though ;-)

jo

Thanks for that one, that's a bit brighter than 644! I do like a consistent corporate look across a scene, though the BR blue does look neater than the faded liveries carried previously, Not as fun to model though ;-)

jo

Yeah 1985 last time it carried this livery.

E

• Like 1

A small update tonight. The 08 is now green. This faded shade looks rather garish without a layer of grot and grime on top.

post-6899-0-41562200-1397087511_thumb.jpg

Additionally, the front of the layout has seen the addition of a Laira depot sticker that given to me at Plymouth exhibition last year. I sprayed the white patch with car paint. I was tempted to use yellow to give it a large logo 50 style application, but went with white to match the layout signage

post-6899-0-29740000-1397087519_thumb.jpg

jo

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

So, a little bit of progress in the run up to the Member's day in Taunton on Sunday, the 08 has gained wasp stripes and is starting to come together. It won't be finished by Sunday, but it will be nice to at last have a proper FGW Laira shunter on the layout. The loco will be unweathered and lacking numbers due to the fact these will be produced on a future custom transfer sheet. One side the loco has standard BR blue style numbers, but on the other side they are smaller and not particularly level!

post-6899-0-38778000-1398194155_thumb.jpg

The wasp stripes are from Fox, and I used copious amounts of Microsol to bed them in, particularly on the radiator end. Once a driver is fitted and the cab reglazed fully then I'll fit it. It is such a tight fit that I didn't want to damage it putting it on and off

jo

Edited by ewsjo
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Interesting. Where did you get the McHenry coupling from? Looking at the picture, it appears the attachment to the loco/stock is a small hole (for want of a better word!) which is exactly what I am looking for to fit some of my locos.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, the stripes definitely repay time and care spent in putting them on. I think there's at least 4 different shades of yellow on the model to get the look of the prototype

jo

The layout was loaded into the car last night ready for today at the members day.

I'll hopefully have some new photos to post from the day. Please do stop for a chat with Jack and myself if you are there today

jo

OK, this layout looked superb today! even better in the flesh as in the piccies, looking forward to seeing the class 50 piccies.

Also thanks for the advice about lining transfers, I have found the Replica orange lining pack onlone and ordered some.

Enjoy the 28xx, not sure how it fits in with this layout but...

Best wishes

Simon

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the kind words and bringing the 50s along, very much appreciated!

No problem with the cantrail stripes, let me know how you get on.

I've posted pics of the layout here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/83750-rmweb-members-day-at-taunton-2014-full-line-up-announced/?p=1432527

A quick taster:

post-6899-0-32537500-1398631963_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-41701800-1398631964_thumb.jpg

jo

• Like 11