Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Double pug

Hi everyone I have two pugs, a Hornby and a Dapol model which i am very fond of. I am currently building a shunting layout and intend to use both of them on the layout but as all the points are insul frog they will not be able to cope with the track work due to the loss of current when tralleving over the points frogs. I plan to do this so this is no jerking when going over points. What I planned to do is a sort of pug double fairle. Has this ever been done and will it work?

I plan to cut the buffer blocks off, remove the cab backplate somehow run the wires from both motors so that it in effect becomes a singuler locomotive and singuler motor so that the current can go thought both sets of wheels and not loss current going over the points then make a fake bolier cover and extend the cab roof and add a crew!

I will try and add some pictures as soon as i start.

(What have i left myself into :( :angry: <_< :rolleyes: )

Thanks Tommy

I did think of that but then i also thought because of the short lenght headshunts i need all the space i can get!

Iam now just getting the messurements off the Hornby website so i can work out the over all lenght then the amount of trucks i will be able to use with it!. Does anyone know the size of the Dapol model or is it the same as the Hornby one!?

Thanks Tommy

• RMweb Premium

I did think of that but then i also thought because of the short lenght headshunts i need all the space i can get!

Iam now just getting the messurements off the Hornby website so i can work out the over all lenght then the amount of trucks i will be able to use with it!.

I might be missing something but if you don't have room in your headshunts for a Pug and shunters wagon how do you expect to squeeze in a twin-Pug?

I'd go for a shunters wagon or the "tender" wagon many used.

Some pugs were coupled to wagons that were used for storing more coal, accessibly through the door at the rear of the cab - Pugs weren't known for their coal carrying capacity.

The best option is to switch to electro-frog points though...

Happy modelling,

Steven B.

• RMweb Gold

I'm afraid the OPs' proposed course of action sounds Fairlie Unusual! It reminds me of some of the oddball locos RMWebbers point out on ebay from time to time. Don't forget that unless you articulate the two chassis, you will end up with a Fairlie long fixed wheelbase, which, if you have typical tight yard and siding curves, may prove troublesome. I think the shunter's truck idea sounds heaps better - and Smudge's video gives you an idea of how it might look, too.

Sorry what i meant be the headshunt is that there is actually room for a about a loco(0-6-0 or 0-4-0) and three wagons at a time with a bit of room to spare!. I think it will be able to fit with 2 large wagons or three vans. I have a rough idea of how it will work in my head but as i havent been able to get back home yet today then i have been unable to start it. I hope to get there by the end of the day and start it tonight more then likly.

I understand about that articulate chassis will be better but the track is again luckily not to sharpe. I do have a shunters wagon spare so if it all gos wrong i can resort so plan b! Thanks Tommy

I honestly don't think it's worth spoiling two perfectly good Pugs for - if you fix the two models together and do a good job with the roof and cab sides, the chassis will be fairly long and I'd be worried about it being rigid - I expect you'd need some articulation which would entail a gap in the footplate, the cab roof and hinged cab sides.

The match truck sounds much much easier to me - or just keep the Pugs and go for a larger locomotive...

Or even better switch your points for electrofrogs!

Well despite my fears i have started as someone called it the "abomination" :D all seems fine so far! ive cut the running plate back and will soon be putting the two halfs together. Would two extra wires going from each of the motors were the wires go from the pickups turn it into a 8 well pickup or short it out!?

• RMweb Gold

Well despite my fears i have started as someone called it the "abomination" :D all seems fine so far! ive cut the running plate back and will soon be putting the two halfs together. Would two extra wires going from each of the motors were the wires go from the pickups turn it into a 8 well pickup or short it out!?

Wiring the motors in parallel is fine, and will provide 8-wheel pickup - but do make sure you get the polarities right, as you want the two motors to be synchronised, otherwise you may get your two locos separating again!

Well ive done it! It lifes!. Its not taken to long todo only hour and a half! It seems fine on the track work of the layout and goes round fine. I have weathered it using powders and will add some lamps later. Will add some pictures later when i get the bloody sd card working!!

Ok heres the goings so far, finding out that the cog on the Dapol motor had been worn down from age. I used the wires from the Dapol motor solderd them to the Hornby motor and have a 8 wheel pick up which helps it run very slowly! It seems ok so far, I am taking the loco to the corris so tomorrow to give a good proper test/run. Will update with pictures i hope soon. Thanks Tommy

Well at the Corris railway model show the pug got a test run, and went round some surprisingly tight cerves! Sorry i havent posted any pictures but as i said before the camaras playing up! Overall i think the loco has been a good modeling project! Now i just need to crack on with the shunting layout its intended for!

• 4 years later...
Guest johnny45

What wagon for a base 10 ton 5 plank. This picture from 2mmmark looks like the back of loco removed and buffers from both

loco and wagon and 3 link fitted good photo for reference. I have two, smokey joe with missing chimney and pristine club model

and methanol tank pack ,all for small dcc layout on peco 100 track.

I'm afraid the OPs' proposed course of action sounds Fairlie Unusual! It reminds me of some of the oddball locos RMWebbers point out on ebay from time to time.

I seem to recall seeing an article about doing this with the old Airfix/Dapol kit. It may have been in an old Airfix magazine.

Adrian

I too remember someone building a Pug Fairlie, 009 or 00n12 think. It would have been from the Airfix kit or possibly even Kitmaster but as I've never read Airfix magazine I suspect it was in Railway Modeller.

I don't think it was Paul 'Half a Shay' Towers but at about the same period as he was writing and the Aire Valley articles

Archived