Heljan 7mm Deltic

brian daniels

I have to agree with everyone, this certainly looks to be a superb model of the Deltic.

As for short trains for it to haul I remember staying in the north for a few days as a child and a green Deltic came by every day with two pullman cars and possibly a full brake; on its way to Harrogate maybe?

Just pre ordered mine from Tower Models. Well happy :D

Thanks for the extra photos Brian, very good. There does seem to be room to add a few things in there. Thinking of fan driven smoke units but this is a new area for me so need to research it to get some idea of physical size of the units and power requirements.

Could end up with multiple decoders just to run the smoke side of things and possible twin, independent start up sound, engine running. Synchronising it all will be interesting.

Thanks again.

Andy Jack

Looking at the photos again, I like the way they've gone about the cantrail grilles with the angled 'inset' part in the roofline and put etched grilles on top - there might be scope for adding more detail here. The more I look at this loco the more I want one! I had intended to buy their 47 a while back but funds didn't allow at the time... this could well turn out ot be my first r-t-r 7mm loco purchase ;)

Nidge

Resistance is futile Nidge:( more rest days required! The green roof grills are a soft plastic glued at the bottom then curved over and glued at the top. Now i am spraying this blue I hope I don't get too much blue in the grill as I can't paint "inside" them with a dark colour later.

I just did this little thing on Photoshop which I will admitt I am not worlds best user of but managed to overlay a model picture on 55014 and to me the profile round the windows and nose looks spot on (mind you that's if I have done it right as the 2 pictures are not quite the same angle but close)

post-6766-068619200 1283876821_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nice photoshop work there Brian, i wasn't too sure if the vertical part of the nose captured the gentle slant of the real thing (being all in grey didn't help). Seeing it overlaid on a pic of a real 55 assures me Heljan have got it pretty damn close! What do you make of the body profile above the solebar? Due to the "works" grey I can't tell if they've captured the compound curves, especially where the bodyside profile changes as it gets near the buffer shanks.

Good bit of pictorial skullduuggery there Brian, my resistance is rapidly breaking down mate! Side on, it looks like the Danes have captured the bulbous nature of the 55s very nicely. I was reminded of the sheer size of them at York a few months back, standing right next to 55 002 in late 70s blue condition in the old TMD part of the museum.... it brought a lot of happy memories flooding back just standing there gawping up at it, it was just like being a 12 year old oik all over again. If the model can do the same thing then it'll be a winner.

Nidge ;)

Quick edit...! I'm just going to dive into your piccie site, not had a look for ages, I fear I may be gone for some time....B)

Bluex5 the whole profile looks good to me you can see the slight tapper in from the rear of the cab to the nose, it all looks good. It has a big yellow nose now so should be blue by tomorrow night:) It is going to be 9014, got a set of Shawplan plates on order. I said that this is a pre-production sample and as such the ETH was wrong but it is being corrected so until they are available and they send some spare spues it won't have any ETH:( I could put some "scale" ETH boxes on it but this has to remain faithfull to the Heljan model, not a kit bashed model.

I said that this is a pre-production sample and as such the ETH was wrong but it is being corrected so until they are available and they send some spare spues it won't have any ETH:

Brian,

I notice from your photos that there is a small hole in the front of the model which is, I assume, for the purchaser to fit a separately supplied ETH socket from a sprue. Does this mean the if someone is modelling a pre-ETH loco (i.e Green or early blue) they will have to run the model with the hole exposed or is this something that Heljan are addressing ?

Brian,

I notice from your photos that there is a small hole in the front of the model which is, I assume, for the purchaser to fit a separately supplied ETH socket from a sprue. Does this mean the if someone is modelling a pre-ETH loco (i.e Green or early blue) they will have to run the model with the hole exposed or is this something that Heljan are addressing ?

The hole should not be there it's a boo-boo on the Chinese part not the Danes. It is being filled so, as you say, a green un can run steam heat only and a blue un will have an ETH cable that plugs into the bufferbeam and due to it being a stiff Delrin/plastic affair it will be in the correct position on the body. You could stick the ETH onto the body with a bit of pva glue I guess so it would come off later should you want to remove the body. I have filled the hole on this sample.

Long wait to get one isn't it, who's going to start the bidding for this one:D

It looks very impressive to me (actually so do all the Heljan 7mm scale diesels), I'm going to have a think about how to do a conversion to the Ice Cream Cart with sound, smoke and whirly fans before I put my order in.

No doubt there's someone hereabouts already eyeing up a DP2 conversion...?

Brian, do you known if it will be available undecorated?

Steph

Bluex5 the whole profile looks good to me you can see the slight tapper in from the rear of the cab to the nose, it all looks good. It has a big yellow nose now so should be blue by tomorrow night:) It is going to be 9014, got a set of Shawplan plates on order. I said that this is a pre-production sample and as such the ETH was wrong but it is being corrected so until they are available and they send some spare spues it won't have any ETH:( I could put some "scale" ETH boxes on it but this has to remain faithfull to the Heljan model, not a kit bashed model.

I can't wait to see it painted then! I'm looking for excuses not to buy one but as my favourite locomotive class one will have to be purchased at some point!

Just noticed that there are no fans fitted. The guy on Tower models said that all four fans worked. Devalued already so lower bid coming your way now. :(

How long is it from buffer face to buffer face please. Not after prototype to scale comparison, more layout consideration, practical purposes. Thanks.

Looking forward to seeing it painted.

• RMweb Premium

Brian, thanks for the interesting piccies, it appears Heljan have this time really designed the loco for specific sound fitment, looks like that fuel tank was built to take the ESU 40mm round sealed speaker, I wonder if the spacing of the PCB lugs are the same as the fitment holes on the ESU XL sound board as well? Tha would make it a doddle to fit....but I still think there is plenty of room there for a big speaker in that fuel tank/body area, just a bit of machining of the chassis required and you have a 40x70mm speaker humming away....mmmm

My Uncle was top link at KX for a very long time and I well remember trips in and around Finsbury Park amongst these huge beasts, there is no way I can not buy one of those but the only problem will be which one will it be?

Thank you Heljan....thank you. :wub:

Well done! Just found this and been bowled over with the photos of the test model. WOW!!!!!

Like others think I will have to save up and find a reason of a 7mm model amongst a 4mm collection! (Probably don't need one with a model of that quality!)

Excellent

Off the top of my head (ie: I can't find the right Deltic book at the moment!) I think the ETH conversions were done in 1971, by which time all 22 U-Boats had been painted blue for about two years or so... thus you can run them in pre-tops blue with or without the ETH gubbins.

HTH

Nidge (staring at his wallet and getting a bit twitchy) ;)

They were indeed quite early trialled on freight, but by this time BR was beginning to be run as a business, and it did not take long for the accountants to realise that they ate most of the profit in freight service. The only justification for this expensive to obtain and maintain unit, was for the delivery of a high speed passenger service; for which premium rates could be charged and which with high utilisation earned enough dosh to make them pay their way.

Accountants aside, I can imagine Gerry Fiennes being a much more formidable obstacle to freight use after the fight he'd had to get them at alllaugh.gif

There are odd published pics of them on freight (although not short ones); I can recall a GSY one on fitted vans in 'Traction' and a blue one taking a Freightliner over Welwyn viaduct in 'Modern Railways'. As for short passenger trains, the early morning Doncaster to Hull mail was regular working during the period that they powered the Hull Pullman

Acording to "The Book of the Deltics" from Irwell Press 9014 was duel braked in 6/6/68 and ETH fitted 23/7/71 and blue 18/11/69 so this is going to modelled from 11/69 until 7/71 until I get the ETH then it will be as running from 7/71 until 1/74 when it had proper TOP's numbers fitted:P

Judging by the reaction on this thread had we better tell Heljan to do a big run as it seems to be getting quite a few people into the slippery slope of 7mm.

Off the top of my head (ie: I can't find the right Deltic book at the moment!) I think the ETH conversions were done in 1971, by which time all 22 U-Boats had been painted blue for about two years or so... thus you can run them in pre-tops blue with or without the ETH gubbins.

Found my copy of Brian Webb's bbok. First Deltic converted to ETH as experiment was D9007 in late 1966. However fleet fitment did not start until September/October 1970 with conversion of the complete fleet complete by Summer 1971. So suspect all were blue by this time. Fitting was done in a bit of panic by all accounts as Mark IID stock was planned to be introduced in September 1970 and needed ETH locos to work properly.

Hope that helps.

Richard