Kyle of Lochalsh

Modernist

The track layout was certainly intact at the station until well into the diesel era, and there are plenty pictures of van traffic using the quayside sidings.But if you are thinking about altering any track, why not incorporate the track that ran along the west(end) of the pier? there is a view of the inset track about halfway down on the Railscot site of Kyle of Lochalsh, and there was a photo of the wagon turntable on another Kyle topic recently. It's something I left off my layout, and have regretted it since.

Richard

I'd not seen the Railscot site before; a superb set of photographs. Especially the one of Car No 13 having arrived from Inverness; good details. I wonder if there are any more?

Dave's archives also has a section on the road to Kyle- perhaps you already know about it though.

Richard

Thanks Richard. Some of those pics look familiar, others not so much. I have a growing library of Kyle reference pics on my iPad!

Quick update, I've now reduced the length of the platfom by about 3cms. There's 7cms from the end of the platform ramp to the harbour wall now, around 35 feet in scale.

cheers

Darren

• 2 weeks later...

I've revised my layout plan with the extra scenic area and new fiddleyard, creating an l-shape, as can be seen below. I have also included the wagon turntables as I see them fitting in, if included. Not decided yet.

kyleplan3.jpg

On the actual layout, as well as reducing the length of the platform, I've started work on the first bridge, incorporated the cattle dock and ballast siding. This is an aerial shot of the layout as it currently is, with track being laid on the west side of the platform.

kyleaerial1.jpg

I've also had a go at weathering my first loco. I've used a dark wash from MIG applied with brush and I've sprayed a buff coloured glaze with my Paasche airbrush to portray grime. Here is a pic. It's not completed yet.

weathered24.jpg

I'm waiting for some rock moulds and hydrocal to arrive to have a go at the scenic areas - rocks seem to dominate the cuttings around Kyle - and I've started ballasting using play sand. It looks the correct grittiness to me. Will post a pic soon.

Cheers

Darren

• RMweb Gold

Hi Darren,

It looks better in this version.....

I still think that the distance between the bridge and the end of your platforms is too short!

My own recollections and calcualtions fro mphotos give the distance between these two point as about 1 and a half MK1 coaches (about 90ft)

This is why I think the distance is too compressed. (going by your photos with no stock)

But - if it works for you and meets your space constraints - then go for it!

Thanks

Hi Darren,

It looks better in this version.....

I still think that the distance between the bridge and the end of your platforms is too short!

My own recollections and calcualtions fro mphotos give the distance between these two point as about 1 and a half MK1 coaches (about 90ft)

This is why I think the distance is too compressed. (going by your photos with no stock)

But - if it works for you and meets your space constraints - then go for it!

Thanks

post-4979-065296900 1290295725_thumb.jpg

The attached 1902 map shows that the layout is considerably compressed (for comparison the length of the loco shed is exactly 120 feet). This does not detract atall from the layout, which even now evokes the spirit of the place (and I would certainly recognise it!). Incidentally this is one of a number of places which I have visited much more often by sea than by rail.

If you can, I recommend getting a hold of "Rails to Kyle of Lochalsh" by David McConnell, pub The Oakwood Press 1997. It is, I think the best history of the line and has many pictures of Kyle from opening to present day, including many I have not seen published elsewhere.

Allan F

• RMweb Premium

The revised track plan looks nice. How are you going to make the wagon turn tables? I assume that these are going to be cosmetic. If they are not maybe some from of magnet moving under the board to move a wagon up and down the track.

Langley have a wagon turntable moulding on their dockside sheet. Its cosmetic but looks the part. I actually had one on an earlier harbour version of my layout, but changed it without taking any photographs :( . I don't think these were used much in BR days, so a non-working model would be quite prototypical.

Richard

Hi Darren

Thanks for posting your updates, I hope you continue to do so as I enjoyed reading about this exciting project.

Expanding on the original plan is something that I can well relate to, just make sure you know when to say enough is enough (this is something that I have a problem with :lol: )

Full respect is deserved for tackling such an iconic location.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the comments!

Yes, I think a non-working turntable would be my choice if I incorporate one, as it's an early 60s layout.

Thanks the_cuckoo(?) I probably didn't realise how iconic Kyle was when I chose it, or how expertly modelled it was already! Ignorance is bliss ;) I see you're modelling Marsden, my neck of the woods. I know Marsden station well. It has an incredible backdrop. I used the area as inspiration when I was doing my art degree at Manchester. And I used to pass through it on my way from Huddersfield to Manchester regularly on the train. Great journey. I'll keep a watch for progress on your layout. I know what you mean about keeping fiddling with the layout plan, but I'm pretty settled now. And what I've done so far is staying in place I think.

cheers

darren

Where i live there was quite a few wagon works and they had the wagon turn tables and they were used alot. I live in Long Eaton, Nottingham! Being opposite Toton Sidings helps for inspiration. Further down the mainline there was a alot of factories and they had wagon turntables as frieght was moved by rail then and they were in need when they past through the factories when they were loaded up. Maybe frieght should be put back on the rails (sorry if i have offened any truckers who read this)!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all, thanks for the continued interest. I've been busy on and off since I last posted. I've especially made progress on the rocks and scenery. I've also added the other part of the layout so it is now an l-shape. As you can see here

kyleaerial2.jpg

Try to ignore the areas around the track, that needs a lot of work. As I say, I've been more involved in the scenery and rocks -

kylerocks1.jpg

I used Noch hydrocal and weathered with Mig wash and acrylic paint.

As well as needing to work on the permanent way I now need to start making some buildings. I've held off so far because they're probably going to be mainly scratchbuilt and kitbashed. There's not much available that seems suitable. Also, I intend painting a backscene, mainly sky with a bit of landscape. What would be the best support considering I want to curve it slightly?

On another note, I need to think about what other locos to run besides the Class 24 and Black 5. Is there anything else suitable available in n gauge? I wouldn't mind building one if necessary, although I don't know anything about making a loco DDC compatible and I;m technically deficient :unsure:

Happy New Year

Darren

• RMweb Gold

Hello Darren,

nice shoes B)

Your progress looks good.. From It's N gauge you could get the body shell for a class 27 which you could use on a Farish Class 33 chassis. Maybe in the near future Dapol will produce the Class 26.

Markus

• RMweb Premium

You've made a massive amount of progress here Darren, the overhead shot looks very nice. You could go down the lines of a class 37 but that may well be to late for you.

• RMweb Gold

IIRC, class 27's never made it to Kyle.

I found that out last year from researching for my boxfile layout on Kyle...I guess it depends how much 'sticking with the prototype' v 'modellers licence' you want to exercise.

Your track plan was based upon an actual time period I recall so I would be tempted to stick with the prototype and hang out a bit longer for a Dapol 26...that's my plan anyway ;)

• RMweb Premium

Any idea how long we're likely to hae to wait for Dapol's 26?

No idea's but Dapol will only confirm timing just before release, but it was part of the magnificent 7 so there is hope that it will be sooner rather than later.

• RMweb Gold

No idea's but Dapol will only confirm timing just before release, but it was part of the magnificent 7 so there is hope that it will be sooner rather than later.

as Kris says, we can only hope its soon...I have a TPM 26 body awaiting spraying before it sits on a 33 chassis but I need to 'break in' my air brush first so its whether Dapol beat me to that or not.

I hope this new policy of Dapols (which I sort of understand) means that if there are any glaring errors (i.e. the BR logo on the 58 of recent) they get a chance to tweak before release.

Mind you...not much can go wrong with a 26, can it?...

• RMweb Gold

IIRC, class 27's never made it to Kyle.

They did there is a pic of 27007 at Garve, I have a copy of it ...somewhere! The Kyle and far northlines weren't as stringent on axle loadings as the West Highland, there are also pics of a 40 and a 47 on the line on railtours/excursions.

TPM did a class 26 body kit to fit the N gauge 33 chassis, but dont know if its still available?

Ooop's (edit) the beginnings of the scenery are looking good and of course compliments of the season!

Archived