Kyle of Lochalsh

Modernist

• RMweb Premium

Well, yes, if the alternative is to have 40+ rapido couplings on view that might well be the case!

What ever you do don't do what I did and leave yourself with a nice rake of wagons and vans but have nothing to pull them withblush.gif

The bridge has undergone another transformation in the last few years. I do have shots taken from the railway so I will have a look to see if the whole of the bridge has changed or just the road deck

Oddly enough some pictures just came up on my google search that I haven't seen previously. A couple show the bridge as it was in 1963! Very convenient :)

29925.jpg

Some great images

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/location.php?loc=Kyle%20of%20Lochalsh

29925.jpg

The main road formerly went from Balmacara to Erbusaig and then parallel with the railway into Kyle. Thus the bridge in the background of this view was the main road. In the mid 1970's (I think) the road along the coast was formed and the main road thus run across this bridge. This necessitated its rebuilding as this is not a particularly substantial structure (note the one in the background already has been rebuilt in this view - it was formerly also lattice). When the Skye Bridge was built, the bridge was again rebuilt and widened.

Nice view you have found - thanks for that!

The main road formerly went from Balmacara to Erbusaig and then parallel with the railway into Kyle. Thus the bridge in the background of this view was the main road. In the mid 1970's (I think) the road along the coast was formed and the main road thus run across this bridge. This necessitated its rebuilding as this is not a particularly substantial structure (note the one in the background already has been rebuilt in this view - it was formerly also lattice). When the Skye Bridge was built, the bridge was again rebuilt and widened.

Nice view you have found - thanks for that!

And thanks for that bit of information! Looking at that photo I thought the bridge seemed narrower than the current one, but doubted it would be if it was a main road. The fact it actually became a different road in the '70s, and the subsequent link to Skye, explains that.

On another note, I see another scratch building project looming.

And thanks for that bit of information! Looking at that photo I thought the bridge seemed narrower than the current one, but doubted it would be if it was a main road. The fact it actually became a different road in the '70s, and the subsequent link to Skye, explains that.

On another note, I see another scratch building project looming.

Of course, one has to bear in mind that all, including main, roads were single track around that area in those days. The superb photograph really reawakens my boyhood memories of Kyle. The milk van behind the loco would be detached when the train reached Dingwall.

A photograph of the layout with the ramp from the road (not yet built) down to the station in the process of being built.

kyleramp1.jpg

I built it with cardboard supports, balsa place on top for the road and sheets of slaters stone glued onto balsa for the walls. I topped it with 2mm square plastic rods (on one wall in the pic) but decided it was too thick so cut strips from a plastic sheet instead.

The bridge will run from immediately behind the ramp.

• RMweb Premium

I haven't constructed anything that complex but I would suggest that if you are comfortable with a soldering iron then building this out of brass would provide better results, that would be more robust when it came to cleaning.

However you end up building it jigs will be your friend.

Alistair Wright(5522 models) at one stage did an etch of a lattice bridge panel, in 4mm at least. I soldered up one as a trial for my layout, but when I realised that I would need to do approx. 22 of these I retreated to plan B., and used Wills panels instead. Its now a maybe someday job. Lochgorm Models has this range of kits, and AFAIK it is not in production just now, but it may be worth contacting Andy Copp to find out if it might be made available sometime.

Richard

Alistair Wright(5522 models) at one stage did an etch of a lattice bridge panel, in 4mm at least. ......................................................but it may be worth contacting Andy Copp to find out if it might be made available sometime.

The artwork has been lost. However, Andy is contemplating redoing the artwork (and do it a little bit better than the original that made a couple of compromises).

If people did want an etch for the latticework (bearing in mind it need not just be for Kyle or the Highland) then it might provoke him to take the plunge.

Thanks everyone for the info on the Alaistar Wright lattice bridge. I've also been given the name, which I wrote down but don't have on me right now, of someone else who might have lattice bridge frets I could use. Will update. Trying to create it myself, when I'm already scratchbuilding the station building and other areas, might be biting off more than I can chew!

I finally started laying track today. I'm using the PVA and double sided sticky tape technique as can be seen in the following pictures:

layingtrack1.jpg

layingtrack2.jpg

layingtrack3.jpg

Pieces of double sided tape at regular intervals to hold the track in place with dabs of PVA in between. Hopefully that will hold it firm. I'll see how it cures. I wanted to avoided track pins!

cheers

Darren

Bad day at Kyle. After getting some track down, which I wasn't totally happy with at the joins between points and flexitrack, I decided to get some leccy to the thing. This meant soldering, which ended up with a lot of melted sleepers, two foot scale solder joints and a pretty grumpy me.

Anyway, I connected the droppers to the bus by wrapping the wire around for now, having done enough soldering for one day. I wanted to test my two locos, which haven't been run yet - oh yes, sorry for not having a dc layout to run it on first, farish, new to this you know, (told you I was grumpy) The good news is that the class 24 runs smoothly, even at snail slow pace. The bad news, apart from that already conveyed, is that the black 5 stutters at every track join, soldering join and any other place it fancies. Just better at pointing out the deficiencies in the track or faulty?

Think my future modelling might lay in dioramas!

Cheers

Darren, from a gloomy Kyle

• RMweb Premium

the black 5 stutters at every track join, soldering join and any other place it fancies. Just better at pointing out the deficiencies in the track or faulty?

Do your two loco's have different manufactures chips in? I ask as I have this problem with one of my loco's yet others work fine - It almost appears to me that the signal is to strong at these points. The other possibility is dirty wheels.

Archived