"Exeter Memories" Exmouth Junction Fireman

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Recently out and published by Noodle Books @ £14.95. 64 Pages - mixture of colour and B&W images but mostly colour. ISBN 978-1-906419-40-0

post-6675-058200000 1285250305_thumb.jpg

Some may have gathered that I like the Southern's railways west of Exeter on the old 'Withered Arm'. It should come as no surprise then that i ended up buying this book - after all 72A provided and maintained many of the locos seen over the Withered Arm.

The big plus point is that the book was written by Richard Parkinson who worked at 'the junction' from 1959, first as a messenger before working through the ranks to driver. Little likelihood then of errors of the sort generated by commercial writers with no experience of what they are writing about.

The book starts with an overview of Richard's career, which has a smattering of memories along the way. Then follows a selection of full page colour images of locos on shed at 72A. Then 8 pages of 'monochrome memories', followed by more colour shots of Exmouth locos around the area between Okehampton and St James Park. The personal story continues with description of being a fireman on the main line, including taking part in engine rescue in the winter of 1963. A drop down to St David's is next - all in colour. Followed by 6 pages of Peter's thoughts on the job and the changes that crept in as WR took over and the shed edged towards closure. An interloper page on 60532's Exeter visit in 1966 next, then on to close with 9 pages of B&W photos heaped with personal memories.

Most of the images in the book are new to me and the vast majority are good quality and are well printed. There's a few that appear to be over dark but are included because of their content. Unlike some recent books all the photos are relevant to the title and clearly have links to the author's activities at the time. All the way through the captions are informative and, where relevant, include personal recollections. I really enjoyed reading through this book and, for me, it was a great nostalgia trip.

My only real criticism is that there should be more of it! I'm sure that Peter had plenty more to tell and it would have been great to have been entertained further.

In summary, a great addition to the 2ManySpams Southern Library. 9/10.

• RMweb Premium

Recently out and published by Noodle Books @ £14.95. 64 Pages - mixture of colour and B&W images but mostly colour. ISBN 978-1-906419-40-0

post-6675-058200000 1285250305_thumb.jpg

And now he provides the info to MAKE me spend more money on a book!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

36E (ex 72A)

Sorry :D

Archived