DLT's SR Locos - Lord Nelson Craftsman Kit

DLT

Thanks Dave. 

I had forgotten this article.  It will be useful when I get round to building a Black Motor for my projected layout, which is also Torrington, in P4 and set in about 1910, complete with the North Devon Clay 3-foot gauge line.  I am (slowly) building stock for it while awaiting space for a layout, but taking precedence at the moment is stock and buildings for a layout/dioramas on the metre-gauge Tramways of the Correze lines in France.

Mick

Now that does sound interesting - the addition of the 3' gauge operations would make for a captivating layout, especially given the unusual nature of the locomotives on that line, and the LSWR in the early years of the 20th century seems such an attractive railway. What scale are the French tramways in?

Adam

I don't have a thread yet, as I don't have much to show and progress is very slow. 

I have been slowly building some coaches, though nothing is really completed yet and certainly not painted.  I have several Roxey coach and some Finney loco kits to build - only the M7 has been started and I am building two versions from the single kit.  I enjoy plasticard scratchbuilding and have a Silhouette Portrait cutting machine to help with cutting the panelling, but haven't yet used it for LSWR coaches.  Some examples of the kits which the cutter has produced for the Tramways of the Correze (TC) are shown in the cutter thread here and here.  I am currently using the cutter for making the roof framing for the engine shed and the sides, springs and axleboxes for the bogie coaches of the TC.  The technique can be seen in this thread, but I am using Bill Beford sprung bogies.

I am hoping that I will be able to get the chassis for the Clay Co. locos from Brian Madge.  I have made the individual sections for the main Torrington trestle viaduct, but have yet to put them together.  The only thing which I have really completed is a travelling crane, which is actually an LBSCR one, but it was the only one for which I could find a photo - I was lucky enough to win a scratchbuilding prize at Scaleforum a couple of years ago.

post-17300-0-09245800-1420494769_thumb.jpg

For the TC, I am modelling this in 1:55 scale using P4 track, as I have the various gauges, etc.  It does mean, though, that almost everything has to be scratchbuilt, or adapted from something else.  Being narrow gauge, they are not much bigger than 4mm scale vehicles.  Here are a couple of photos of progress so far.

post-17300-0-75388000-1420494999_thumb.jpgpost-17300-0-37917000-1420495379_thumb.jpg

Perhaps to avoid hijacking your thread, I should start my own.

Mick

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps to avoid hijacking your thread, I should start my own.

Please do Mick, its fascinating modelling, and I must investigate the cutter thread.

Thanks for sharing it,

Dave.

Edited by DLT

• RMweb Premium

Getting back to the 700, I'm shoe-horning the drive into it. 

A Mashima 1420 will sit vertically in the firebox, driving the rear axle via a Roadrunner Plus gearbox from Highlevel.

Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Main part of the chassis is built, and I'm returning toi the bodywork.  Splashers and cab are being fitted to the footplate, and all are fitting beautifully together.

Photos will follow in due course.

Dave.

• Like 2

.... some Finney loco kits to build - only the M7 has been started and I am building two versions from the single kit.  ...

Is that possible? I looked at my M7 sample kit, and it didn't look like you could squeeze two engines out of the one kit, in the way that you could with the Dean Goods or possibly the T9.

One will be complete as per the kit, but the other will have a fair bit of scratchbuilding, though many parts can be made using the kit parts as templates.  Seemed a good way to get into scratchbuilding.

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Loco superstructure is well and truly underway, cab and splasher etches all fit beautifully, with minimum cleaning up of the etch cusp.    The splasher-tops need to be curved to shape and initially I bent them round a piece of brass bar and then shaped the ends with fine pliers.  Time and care taken to get everything fitted is well repaid.

post-5825-0-46490400-1520542849_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-97070800-1520542862_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-05725600-1520542876_thumb.jpg

As the kit was designed for an open frame motor and Romford gears on the rear axle the cab interior is affected.  However the Highlevel gearbox fits under the cab floor so I can model the interior correctly.  

So far I havent come accross a photo of the cab interior, but I assume it will be similar to the T9 with box splashers over the wheels.  Unless anyone know differently?

post-5825-0-41419200-1520542890.jpg

post-5825-0-98425000-1520542907_thumb.jpg

Thats all for now,

Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

I want to hit more likes! she is coming on very well now, love the way the motor is placed.

Well done Sir!.

Thanks Darren, we need to have a chat about a couple of matters. I will email you.

Separate guard irons I see. That's pleasing since it's a particular 'thing' I have (silly much of the time I grant you, but where you can see them it's worth it).

Adam

Quite agree Adam, the join is fairly prominent.  The supplied etch didnt have any boltheads so I added thiem with my rivit press.  Didnt get them in a straight line though

Wow, the chassis topline doesn't give much room if you want to install hornblock guides for springs or compensation.....!

No not a lot, but there is room for reinforcement if you want  I assume the actual frames would be curved up above the axleboxes.

Cheers, Dave.

Hi Dave,

I've just joined this site after working through this thread and wanted to say what awesome levels of craftsmanship you've demonstrated. Not being skilled enough to emulate you and not being a rivet counter, I'm happy to watch my r-t-r models circulate.

Being an ex pat Brit living in the US and modeling the Southern, however poorly, life can be difficult, the only other British outline modeler, living in the US died last week and left me nothing in his will!

Anyway, my main point is, having followed the recent posts, is that before I left Blighty, I purchased boxes of Jidenco, (later Falcon Brass) etched brass loco kits of Southern prototypes. One happens to be a Maunsell modified Paddlebox kit, so if you or any of your co-modelers are interested, I'm sure something could be worked out. I could provide pics and a list of what I have, I know I also have an H2 Atlantic, a Wainwright H, an Adams radial, a couple of N15's, a U class and many others. I must have been delusional thinking that I could ever do these kits justice and it seems a waste to leave them in my basement, I will never ever do anything with them now.

Cheers Roland.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Roland,

Thank you for your kind remarks abut my modelling; I'm helped by having (most of the time!) high quality kits to work with, and the 700 is no exception.

I'm sure you will find takers for your stock of kits here,  Jidenco/Falcon kits are pretty hard to find.   I have no experience of them myself, although others on RMweb have.  

Do you happen to have an Adams 0395 class?  A friend of mine wants one built for him.  I would be very interested to see the full list.

All the best,

Dave.

Hi Roland,

Thank you for your kind remarks abut my modelling; I'm helped by having (most of the time!) high quality kits to work with, and the 700 is no exception.

I'm sure you will find takers for your stock of kits here,  Jidenco/Falcon kits are pretty hard to find.   I have no experience of them myself, although others on RMweb have.  

Do you happen to have an Adams 0395 class?  A friend of mine wants one built for him.  I would be very interested to see the full list.

All the best,

Dave.

Hi Dave, sorry, no Adams 0395, but a pretty loco anyway.

I have the following Jidenco/Falcon kits:

Falcon Brass Wainwright H class- this has a Mike Sharman wheel/axle set and an Anchoridge D11 5 pole motor and motor mount.

Jidenco kits for Adams 0415 Radial tank and Adams T1 tank, Maunsell modified Paddlebox, Maunsell U1, W and Z. 2 x N15, one as a Urie N15 with Urie and/or watercart tender, the other Maunsell with Maunsell tender, Drummond T9, M7, (short frame I think) and D15.

I also have a Nu-Cast white metal kit for an N15x Rememberance class which I'd forgotten about.

I can provide pics if there's any interest and hope this helps.

Cheers, Roland.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

At last some tangible progress to report.  I think I've finished soldering bits to the chassis, the short tubes sticking out are for mounting the brakegear.  A rod passes right through the tube abnd the brakehangers, which butt against the tube end, thus keeping it in the correct position laterally.

post-5825-0-79488600-1520543299_thumb.jpg

Chassis components ready for assembly.  Wheels are Gibson 5ft diameter, 16 spoke, 3.6mm throw.  Throw should be 3mm, but as long as the rods don't clout the footplate I'm sure we wont notice a little extra.

post-5825-0-24969800-1520543266_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-44777700-1520543281_thumb.jpg

Cleaning, blackening and painting next.

Cheers,

Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 6