DLT's SR Locos - Lord Nelson Craftsman Kit

DLT

There's a Paddlebox for sale on Ebay at the moment - ( 171752257421 ) description suggests its built from the Falcon etched kit, looks to be quite a good build.

Would certainly like a T14 myself, just hope that Falcon get round to bringing this back to production in time.

But they have left the hard bit.

But all his sales are the same. Do the frames first and when the body is done you have a working loco.

Edited by N15class

• RMweb Premium

Test running the 700 on the SWAG Modular layout at Taunton today showed a couple of issues that need addressing; more weight is needed in the tender (knew that); and a bit more flexibility in the tender drawbar, but that's nothing a file can't fix.  

More worryingly its developed a nasty screeching noise and erratic running which I think is a duff motor.  I will have to investigate, and luckily a I have another motor to try.

Cheers, Dave.

Test running the 700 on the SWAG Modular layout at Taunton today showed a couple of issues that need addressing; more weight is needed in the tender (knew that); and a bit more flexibility in the tender drawbar, but that's nothing a file can't fix.  

More worryingly its developed a nasty screeching noise and erratic running which I think is a duff motor.  I will have to investigate, and luckily a I have another motor to try.

Cheers, Dave.

Screeching to me sounds like a dry bearing. Does it need a little oil, it may be that causing a little overheating.

• RMweb Premium

The screeching was definitely from the motor, so I've swapped it over and seen a definite improvement.  Still not great though, and investigations (fiddling) are continuing.

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Seems to be running ok now, but still noisier that I would like; maybe I'm being too critical.

Time to move on anyway, more body detailing under way.

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Dave, I had a DJH C2X that I built and painted (unusual for me to actually almost finish a loco kit) was 'noisy', not screechy. I literally 'soundproofed' the boiler as much as possible with material lining the inside. It helped and I felt it was OK.

I no longer have that loco; it went to someone on RMWeb and so I can not confirm that it has haulage capacity or if it runs quietly.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

I just had a new Mashima go all 'screechy' on my yesterday. A dodgy batch perhaps? Will have to replace it even though it is super smooth under 10mph!

Fabulous work on the 700 Dave. 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave 

Maybe after she has had a good few runs on my rolling road and layout she my quieten down a bit.

Your doing a grand job on her.

Maybe you're right, its certainly better now I've eased some of the coupling rod holes.  

Perhaps I'm expecting too much of that little motor and gearbox combination.

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ok, getting somewhere again!  

The quartering was ever so slightly "out" on the driven axle (which would explain it running better one way than the other) and the coupling rod centres were (again,ever so slightly) out.  

With these apparently corrected everything seems to be ok.  

I've never had problems like these before, but thinking about it; that fact that this is a very long fixed wheelbase may be an issue, especially in combination with the drive at one end.  

I think it that putting the drive on the centre axle would make life a lot easier for the motor and gearbox.  

All the previous six-coupled locos I've built, be they mainline 4-6-0s, or 7mm narrow gauge jobs, have had a much shorter coupled wheelbase.

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Moving on...  I couldn't find a reversing rod in the kit so I've built one out of odd bits of brass.  While I was about it i thought I could do something about the yawning gap visible below the boiler, so I've built the cross-shaft for the reversing gear.  Its not absolutely to scale but it helps to fill in the gap and suggest that theres more in there.

Its just a piece of 1.6mm brass, with bits of spare etch for the lifting arms and the counterweight, drilled 1.5mm, reamed to be a tight fit on the bar, and soldered in place.

The photographs should explain it.

post-5825-0-92674700-1520553749_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-38748400-1520553765_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-68229600-1520553796_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-03708800-1520553857_thumb.jpg

Edited by DLT
  • Like 13

That looks very good Dave. I am experimenting with working motion for when I do my 7mm one.

There should be two counter balance weights and the are a little nearer the middle Probably a third of the shaft in from each side.

• RMweb Premium

Not sure about that Peter.  As far as I can see from the various photos and drawings there's only one counterweight, and its quite prominent on the right hand side.

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

That looks stunning what you have achieved there  with the reversing rods, really adds to the look under the boiler.

She coming on now and looking fantastic!

Darren

Thanks Darren, it really does alter the under-boiler appearance, although I'm NOT intending to do full inside valve-gear!  Just need to make sure the reversing rod doesn't interfere with the injector pipework.

Haven't done anything for a couple of days.  Next jobs are soldering on the lamp-irons and adding balance weights to the wheels (from black plasticard) and then its pretty much ready for painting. .

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 1

Not sure about that Peter.  As far as I can see from the various photos and drawings there's only one counterweight, and its quite prominent on the right hand side.

Cheers, Dave.

I stand corrected. Have just looked at my Bradley. There is only one. It is unusual for the south Western just to have one with stevensons gear. Or am I building too many from Adams.