Bachmann 37 425 Pride of the Valleys

tractor_37260

Well here is some news for you regarding the real loco, Its still at Toton. on the 27th Jan DB Shenker has moved 2 class 37's with a shunter to the refuelling point! 1 being the repainted Class 37 411 (I THINK!) and a triple grey class 37! (couldn't see the number!) But i thought they was just moving them out the way to get to Class 37425 but i was wrong! I wonder where they were taking them 2 to?

Anyway thought i'd let you know!

• RMweb Premium

Well here is some news for you regarding the real loco, Its still at Toton. on the 27th Jan DB Shenker has moved 2 class 37's with a shunter to the refuelling point! 1 being the repainted Class 37 411 (I THINK!) and a triple grey class 37! (couldn't see the number!) But i thought they was just moving them out the way to get to Class 37425 but i was wrong! I wonder where they were taking them 2 to?

I suspect you will find they were moved to the fuelling point for the fuel on board to be drained prior to sale, rather than being fuelled for further use.

Hi JamesB 34067,

thanks for posting the pictures of your 37425 (Post #32) - much appreciated. I did see them earlier but haven't been on long enough to reply until now. It certainly looks like they did a good job!

I had never seen photos of a 37 with horns on its nose before, until reading about them on here. The photos of the one by Holland Park look impressive, when compared with photos on a well known photo sight ;)

Aside, I wonder if Bachmann/ViTrains will consider a 37 with a nose-mounted headlight? I guess it's easy to add :D ...I shouldn't be so lazy!

Thanks again,

Ixion.

Cheers Ixion they did do a good job though when I 1st used it one off the directional lighting was not working though the cab light was on still , they seem to be working ok at the moment just hope it stays that way other they said send it back,

When you say nose-mounted headlight do you mean like what eurostar did to there 37/6s ?

Hi JamesB 34067,

I actually meant the 37s with the 'Wales' headlight. Examples are37183 and 37177. Though, I was thinking more like 37183 (on a Large Logo 37). That said, the Eurostar 37s are of interest to me and are a whole group of their own.

I'm not sure if 37425 ever had one of these lights attached... though happy to be told, if so...?

Cheers,

Ixion.

Eurostar aka EPS added the multiple running gear to thier 37/6 fleet to enable them to run with the ill fated "nightstar" services back in the early 90s, if was basically a load of multiple working cables with a socket to connect up to the mark 3s. When DRS brought some of them, they retained the runnnig gear and it was eventually removed. The last examples of the old EPS fleet were 37601, 603 and 604 before eventually DRS brought them as well but they still have the Nightstar running gear on them. I *think* thats really the only difference

NL

AFAIK 37411 caerphilly Castle is stored at Eastleigh and hasn't been moved up to Toton unless ive missed it, WNXX has some recent updates on the toton stored Tractors which include: 37402,405,419,422,425 and 669. I believe most if not all of these have been De-fuelled and readied for removal by road over the last few days. 37401 and 670 are at Crewe EMD, whilst 37411,416 and 417 are at Eastleigh. The only oddball is 37410 which is stabled in the headshunt at Stoke Marcroft, Last I heard about this machine was that it was only stored with lack of OTMR not an engine fault. 37427 is/was dumped in Tyne yard along with some scrap bound tractors .

Apparently looks like DRS have brought the remaining 37/4s from DBs wonder what ones they keep and use as spares.

If DRS are to take them on my money is on 401, 410 and 425 simply because they aren't stored with any 'known' major engine faults and havn't been out of traffic as long as the others.

If DRS are to take them on my money is on 401, 410 and 425 simply because they aren't stored with any 'known' major engine faults and havn't been out of traffic as long as the others.

Yeah I was thinking 401 & 425 dont know about the rest but if you say about 410 is true then that may get the DRS treatment,

I'd be surprised if DRS take anymore locos, they seem to be loosing a lot of traffic..

Have they first I heard off this :blink:

• 7 years later...

I've got one of these locos, I bought it some time ago as I wanted a late 80's large logo 37. Since then I realised that it is a model of a more recent loco and was wndering what I'd have to do to backdate it? The only thing I can obviously see are the electrification warning symbols which are a newer design, is there anything else hat needs to be done?

Steve.

I renumbered mine to another Welsh 37/4, changed the headcone panel from black to yellow and moved some of the orange strioe. I replaced the warning flashes too.

Thanks for the reply, what did you use to remove the lining and flashes?

Steve.

Most of the orange lining on the main bodyside will come off using the edge of a blade used VERY gently.  A little T-Cut or Brasso on a cotton bud will remove anything else.  If your back dating it to the 80's,  the numbers will also need changing to the BR typeface. 

Thanks Ken, I was planning on renumbering it. Do you happen to know when the orange lining appeared on the class 37's?

Steve.

There's no fixed date as such, but most received them around the mid-late 80's. Best idea is to decide which loco your changing it to, and then check various photos of it on Flickr, most will have dates/locations etc.. 

• RMweb Gold

I kept most of the orange stripe. It came off easily enough. I think I used cocktail sticks. If you look at photos of 37426 to 37431 in the 80s you will see that the orange stripe is in a different position. I also had the Bachmann 37 427 to use as a guide. I ended up with all 6 in the end ;)

Steve in Railtec does the council logo for the nose ends of 37431 if that is one you are going for.

There's no fixed date as such, but most received them around the mid-late 80's. Best idea is to decide which loco your changing it to, and then check various photos of it on Flickr, most will have dates/locations etc..

Thanks Ken, i want a loco that was, if poss, Stratford or at least Southern end of the Eastern region based, so I'll have to do a bit of research.

Steve.

Archived