Waverley Route Stations

DaveArkley

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The junction I'd planned for my fictional Cruikglen layout has been nagging at me. It just looks wrong.

So I started looking through various resources for a junction layout which looked more 'WR', and found one which is almost exactly what I want. It's called errr, Riddings Junction.

So now Cruickglen Junction will be modelled on Riddings, rotated 180 degrees to fit, and with an extra spur to my totally ficticous shed:

Cruikglen Junction V21

So does anyone have or can suggest a source of scale drawings for the station buildings, signal box, shelter, bridge etc?

Cheers

Dave

P.S. The image is there, just click on it above, and then again in the gallery to see the new plan.

That's a funny one ... as I've delved through all manner of plans, drawings, records etc at West Register House and online, and enquired on numerous occasions with fantastic resonse from NAS personnel, but not once did I think of asking about the stations south of the Border!

That's a funny one ... as I've delved through all manner of plans, drawings, records etc at West Register House and online, and enquired on numerous occasions with fantastic resonse from NAS personnel, but not once did I think of asking about the stations south of the Border!

It works the other way round as well Matt.

I have found documents at Kew from London Midland Region that cover areas well norh of the border.

In some cases the informatiom seems to be split between the two archives which can be frustrating.

Bernard

• 5 months later...

A lovely grab-shot entering Gala. Caption details are great, but the before and after aspect really brings home how much land-take there has been from the railway at this point, and how confined its new course into Gala will be.

http://www.railbrit....te.php?id=39339

The next shot of Galashiels on that film (which should appear on Railscot sometime soon) will reinforce 'Chard's point - the railway infrastructure which appears in it has been obliterated down to the last brick!

Bill

the before and after aspect really brings home how much land-take there has been from the railway at this point, and how confined its new course into Gala will be.

Can't quote chapter and verse as I am not at home, but the local authority was very keen to purchase any available railway property as soon as closure was announced.

Their haste might come back to haunt them.

Bernard

Can't quote chapter and verse as I am not at home, but the local authority was very keen to purchase any available railway property as soon as closure was announced.

Their haste might come back to haunt them.

Bernard

I think Bernard is essentially correct - the particular problem here is how keen Borders Regional Council was to sell bits of it on to Asda.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Saturdays Only? V2 at Citadel with the Waverley - Leeds Class 1.

http://www.railbrit....te.php?id=39505

The LMR 1959 Summer Passenger Train Marshalling Book [Central Lines] (obtained from the BR coaching stock Yahoo group) shows a Saturdays only train at the same time from Waverley running through to Sheffield via Leeds. Was the train cut back to Leeds in the 1960s or is it just a minor inaccuracy in the Caption? Note: 14th August 1965 [the date of the photo] does seem to have been a Saturday.

9.50am (SO) Edinburgh (Waverley) to Sheffield

12.42pm from Carlisle

Reverses at Leeds

Runs 27nd June to 22th Aug Incl.

BSK (24).........)

2 SK (42)........)

2 CK (18/24)...) Sheffield

2 SK (42)........)

BSK (24).........)

8/248

I understand the numbers after each coach type are the number of seat in each class. I assume the final figure is the number of vehicles and tonnage.

Jeremy

The caption given on Railscot is as supplied by the photographer - he is usually fastidious and I would be surprised if the destination of the train is incorrect. The nearest summer timetable I have is for 1966 (NER edition) and there is no sign of the train in it, so 1965 was obviously the last year of operation.

Bill

The LMR 1959 Summer Passenger Train Marshalling Book [Central Lines] (obtained from the BR coaching stock Yahoo group) shows a Saturdays only train at the same time from Waverley running through to Sheffield via Leeds. Was the train cut back to Leeds in the 1960s or is it just a minor inaccuracy in the Caption? Note: 14th August 1965 [the date of the photo] does seem to have been a Saturday.

9.50am (SO) Edinburgh (Waverley) to Sheffield

12.42pm from Carlisle

Reverses at Leeds

Runs 27nd June to 22th Aug Incl.

BSK (24).........)

2 SK (42)........)

2 CK (18/24)...) Sheffield

2 SK (42)........)

BSK (24).........)

8/248

I understand the numbers after each coach type are the number of seat in each class. I assume the final figure is the number of vehicles and tonnage.

Jeremy

Correct Jeremy, those are the seating, consist and tonnage totals. I'm slightly chuffed (groan) that my casual, throwaway sleuthing assumptions were on the money.

I had encountered the Edinburgh - White Rose County working previously, but only ever referred to as a Leeds finisher. I concur with Bill that the caption's a good'un and I fully expect the Sheffield leg was cut back (off!) in the early sixties. I'm sure someone will be able to tell us in due course!

Archived