Lancaster Green Ayre - The Barn Owls have returned.

jamie92208

Last Friday i forgot my camera so here are a few of what i did

a look up the slipway from the river. last friday i painted the underside of the arches

29624605454_2a19dd0b7e_z.jpg002 (2) by Sam, on Flickr

And from the road side, the side of the bridge was repainted and the slipway done so far was painted

29625607333_afa0907cc7_z.jpg003 (2) by Sam, on Flickr

And last night

the pavement and the wall around the goods yard also needed repainting

29624617174_9f75879993_z.jpg005 (2) by Sam, on Flickr

Before this area around the end of the goods shed was still bare green foam board. on Friday Jamie hydrocaled over it and around the end of the leanto shed. last night i sanded it down to start scribing but some of it was too thin so Jamie scraped that area down and applied a thicker coat.

29625615973_ca83f18563_z.jpg006 (2) by Sam, on Flickr

The other job with the Hydrocal was the bottom corner of the slipway

30140010482_bee00196cb_z.jpg004 (2) by Sam, on Flickr

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Yes Sam I agree fully.  There is however about 30' of seawall to be done this is what we need to reproduce.

213891607_Seawall1.jpg.d86f09c13691d6f32c971d1f93b2d472.jpg

234358436_seawall2.jpg.b1d50bd2525e31bcf8cbb63c30ecbcb1.jpg

Just a bit of work to do. I'll have to bring the removable viaduct down and the board that goes in the corner.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

its nice to see a detailed look at the colours

could you print out the second pic to have in the club room as a reference for the colours?

No problem, I'll bring a print in on Monday.

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

There has been some progress over the last couple of weeks. The fiddle yard has been set up in a former chicken shed and railway room at the other end of the village. This space has been kindly lent to me by the widow of a former team member. The aim was to label all the tracks and also commission the light engine shuttle unit. The tracks were duly labelled but the electronics wouldn't perform. This is probably due to hamfisted assembly on my part. Anyway a kind offer to repair the unit has been made and it will be posted south shortly.

At the clubroom Sam has made a great job of scribing setts on the slipway area under the viaduct and has also got base paint on a lot of the DAS work. Dave and I have been working on the turntable. A new motor unit was fitted last night and lo and behold it worked. Some odds and ends of work need to be done and hopefully on Monday we should have the deck installed and a loco being turned.

I've also seen the lovely river made out of toilet paper on the Remagen Bridge layout. As I've got some 2 square metres of river to do, the method appeals to me so Sam and I had a discussion about the way forward. On Monday I'll take the backscene support that goes next to the slipway, down to the club, so that we can sort out how the slipway joins the river. We are modelling the river at fairly low tide but want to get the surface effect correct.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Another good evenings work at the clubrooms.  Paul continued applying more of the plywood fascia to public facing parts of the boards.  These come slightly above the boards and protect the edge of the plaster work etc.     Dave and I worked on the turntable and got it working.  A Kirtley 0-6-0 was duly spun round and driven on and off the shed and approach roads.   I now need to fid the remaining detaiing parts for the turntable deck and get it finished.

I'd also taken one of the backscene support boards that has some river surface on it to the club.   This was duly attached to the castle branch and bottom of the slipway.  We then had a short design conference as to how to portray the mudbanks and the transition between the boards.   Sam then set to work carving foam and laying oieces along tbase of the sea wall.  These will then be covered with Hydrocal and morphed into the river surface.   At the end of the evening, Chris, a new member brought along some lovely buildings from his layut based on Portsmouth dockyard in 1944. Convesations turned to doing water surface and we ended up laying a trial section of river surface with three layers of toilet roll and some dilute pva.  Chris showed me how to use the brsh to create the small waves.  I've decided to model it in the start of the flood tide so there will be some V's appering round the bridge piers.  

I also got a good response on a Lancaster Historical site on facebook about what type of water craft were seen on that part of the river.  It looks as if I need to source several small dinghy's  etc. Does anyone know any source of waterline models of such things in 7mm.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Try your model boat part stockist, wherever that may be. Lifeboats & dinghies can be adapted to waterline. Or scratch build from card.

Example:

http://www.alwayshobbies.com/model-boats/model-boat-fittings/lifeboat-rings-$4-davits/amati-long-boat-$1-life-boat-with-interior-kit

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Try your model boat part stockist, wherever that may be. Lifeboats & dinghies can be adapted to waterline. Or scratch build from card.

Example:

http://www.alwayshobbies.com/model-boats/model-boat-fittings/lifeboat-rings-$4-davits/amati-long-boat-$1-life-boat-with-interior-kit

Dava

Thanks very much for that I'll see what I can find.  It seems like a good idea.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

The Lune Whammel boats have been aound a long time, and are still working today, though they are normally to be found a bit further towards the estuary at Glasson Dock and Sunderland Point.

A but more info here about this type of vessel.

https://thelunepilot.com/

Also, the Lancaster Maritime Museum down on the quay might be able to offer a lot more info (you might need to be prompt as it has been threatened with closure in the Council cuts).

http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/leisure-and-culture/museums/lancaster-maritime-museum.aspx

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to everyone for the replies, it's obvious that there will be rivet counters out there if I get the wrong type.  However some of the links have given me the info that I need to get a couple of small boats that I can use to create spaces on the river to moor some dinghy's.  I might even put a couple on the slipway.  A Lune longboat and a Lune whammel look like good projects in due course.

Last night Dave and I spent a good hour or so repairing on of the backscene supports.  It had got damaged at it's joint to the next one and a piece had broken off.  Much PVA and some bit of 2 by 1 were used and it's all been clamped up and left to dry out.   It will be reinforced with some decent length woodscrews on Friday.   The trial area of river surface was not fully dry but is looking good.  Hopefully by Friday we will be able to continue it.

Jamie

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

never tried making a boat before. it would have been convient if we still had the Dewsbury road model shop as they stocked all sorts of model ship parts

Yes it would have been but there is a big range of ships boats in 1:48.  Now I know some styles and lengths from Stewart's post I'll probably get a double ender and a transom stern  shorter one that we can convert to waterline models and use to create places for boats when we do the wave patterns.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Jamie

Try this company,

http://www.quaycraft.co.uk

I've bought from them in the past for some of the model boats I build and they make lovely models.

Thanks for that Brian,   I've just had a very good conversation with the lady from there, they also trade as Cornwall Model Boats.  She's got some 1:48 scale boats that look about right and is going to get back to me tomorrow.

The things you learn from RM Web members.  Until this morning I'd never heard of a Lune longboat, let alone a Lune Whammel.

Jamie

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just got back from a good evening at the club. John arrived with the Yates' Ale store which is now looking good. I took the requisite board on and we tried it in position.

161028-1.jpg.b9e7143a718c8dfc3ac3dfff0a04118e.jpg

After a little bit of fettling of the coal yard walls it fitted well. It looks rather nice.

The rear of the building also looks just like it's photos and is an odd shape.

161028-2.jpg.1869b10cef758cbfccecb0719c3de7f0.jpg

We've had to make the building less deep to allow for coal carts to get between the coal wagons and the building, there will also be a fenced yard to construct on this side of the building and then it will need detailing with stacks of barrels etc. Sam has turned up a map from the 1840's which show that the building was originally rail connected via a wagon turntable.

Dave rubbed down the foam that Sam had laid then covered it with Hydrocal which will be painted to look like mud. The toilet paper river surface has dried and hardened nicely. the little waves don't show up very well on the photo but they are there.

161028-3.jpg.5d1ccb7266ac2ff590a8c43bcc16d891.jpgWe'll get the rest of the mud laid before doing more river though.

This is how the slipway base area is starting to look.

161028-4.jpg.c4ea7c633706abc749d804886ab4843d.jpg

Sam then glued foam onto the next length of backscene support.

That will be ready to work on next week.

161028-5.jpg.f707eeca95343d6ed49f9626302d8a63.jpg

I've also been in touch with the boat supplier mentioned above and two designs of small craft are on their way from Cornwall. One is a 20' long double ended boat to represent a Lune Longboat and the other will become a Lune Whammel. They are resin mouldings and will be sliced off to make them waterline models.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 8

Hi Jamie,

Just caught up with this thread. Some great workmanship being displayed, but whatever happened to the chimneys on the yard office? They were straight. Is it a camera angle thingie?

Some News: Have just finished laying down the basic brick and mortar paint work on the chimney I'm building for the yard. I need to tidy up the mortar and brickwork on Saturday (long and tedious job :sorry:) then get to the metal work on Sunday. Slosh some grot onto it and (assuming I still have foamcore board build a carry case for it) pack for handover on the 11th

Cheers

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

More mud was sculpted last night as well as some fascia boarding was glued on.  Soon the whole frontage will have it's painted fascia which will also protect the edge of a lot of plasterwork.  Dave also did some work on the seawall.  

I'd finally finished sanding off three pack(other suppliers of laser cut wood are available)s of Poppy's Woodtech fencing and then couldn't find my assembly jig.  I then ordered another one and lo and behold it was waiting for me when I got home. Very efficient work from Poppy's. Tonight I set to work to build some fencing and after half an hour this was the result.

161105-4.jpg.99bbeb51eb494359981d78426815ea52.jpg

3 panels built up ready for joining together and awaiting the addition of the uprights.  I've only got another dozen panels to do.  The main run on the down platform is 1345mm, including the ramps, and then there are some bits round the station approach.  However it makes a much more rigid structure that the plastic fencing.

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Progress has continued with fences and mud.

First the fences.

Continuing from the post above.  The three panels seen at the top right were joined together along with the ramped section.  For this I drew the ramp out full size and made a drawing on it including the position and angle of all the pales then assembled the stringers and uprights, held things down with masking tape and then glued on the pales.   This produced one long section which had some missing sections at the joins between the panels.

161105-1.jpg.09b732a20e0575f30315114567dc0a5a.jpg

Then the jig was used with a piece of selotape across the back and two groups of 5 pales were produced just sticking to the selotape.

161105-2.jpg.59aede019792d35858990e671de3d3e8.jpg

The sections were then carefully lifted out and glued into position on the long length with the ends of the selotape holing them true.

161105-4.jpg.bb304527ccb6c659aafdae36b771752d.jpg

The selotape is hard to see but the excess PVA from fat fingers gives it away.

This section and the next one have now been trial fitted to board A5 and look good.

The river has proceeded.  The first job has been to reduce the resin mouldings to waterline models.  I did consider pencil marking and using a dremel and slitting disk by Dave suggested rubbing on a sheet of sandpaper.  This worked and here is the Lune longboat.   It's not fully down  to the waterline but if I went any further the floorboards would disintegrate. 

161109-1.jpg.4d4558e0a430418f157a2f2bd9e04318.jpg

Then another section of mudbank was created using Hydrocal over foam with some ballast to look like exposed gravel.

161109-2.jpg.acce0b67bfd8bc354ff781a505b52179.jpg

On Monday I'd tried my first major river section with the loo roll and dilute PVA.   I'd also sculpted round the first of the small boats to try and create a ash that would be produced on an anchored boat when the tide was flooding.

This had mainly dried so was ready for trimming off.

161109-3.jpg.f06300346ac7c735e6f0bbd8971405a1.jpg
161109-4.jpg.277e479c2c3e6cbb52554f9c00397191.jpg

This shows it with the boat in position.   The small ripples/waves don't show up very well but this is the best I could do.

Onwards and upwards as they say.

Jamie

161105-3.jpg

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 4

nothing done last night but i took pics of the work done last week on the slipway. the silt bank below the slipway that Jamie hydrcaled was painted over. i would have painted the other lengths of bank as shown above for now we've run out of the tan paint. the colour of the cobbles havent been darkened under the bridge as thats where the high tide goes up to. and on the wall on the right is not darkened by the smoke in the air asits constantly getting washed by the high tide such as if you you up this page to post #1079

25296881599_f1d9fea51d_z.jpg11-11-2016 (4) by Sam, on Flickr

30844210921_5103f657f8_z.jpg11-11-2016 (2) by Sam, on Flickr

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Evening all from after our show.   I've had a great weekend demonstrating loco building.  Chatted to lots of nice folks and even got some soldering done.  I took a couple of Ebay purchases with me one was a Gibson 4F which will be a Toton based loco that will carry my old police number, 3877, and the other was an unstarted Fourtrack 2F with George Norton etches.   The 4F was already part built so I made a start of the 2Fwhich will become Skipton based 3188.  This was the result by the end of today, a smooth running chassis with a Portescap and a body that is coming on.  All without instructions.

161120-1.jpg.6912f610ef011db25f3594e1c87a6d40.jpg

It should look good on Green Ayre.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 6

Last night I started painting the river surface that Jamie previously made and repainted the slipway in a much better mud colour

Here is Jamie having just put the DAS on this bit of wall, in relation to the layout the photo is looking from the north end of greyhound bridge across the river to the loco shed, the bridge board is to the left at the other side of the hatch board

30404181403_da46ba7c09_z.jpg23-11-2016 (2) by Sam, on Flickr

and after scribing

31097359151_034d0c73aa_z.jpg23-11-2016 (6) by Sam, on Flickr

the first bit of muddy river painted with bow wave ripples painted up where one of the boats will sit. havent painted the bank yet as theres some sanding to the edge of the toilet paper so it blends with the bank. this was my first attempt and the dark end is too dark and too close to the bank

30843914870_5d2f69a0dc_z.jpg23-11-2016 (1) by Sam, on Flickr

30404191733_5a760b84db_z.jpg23-11-2016 (9) by Sam, on Flickr

just like the real slipway, the mud goes up just past the other side of the arches to the high tide mark. the river surface wasnt painted as it still needed the toilet paper texturing, which was done last night after these photos and the walls seen here in white card were DASed and scribed

30390202694_98251c8c25_z.jpg23-11-2016 (3) by Sam, on Flickr

31097356351_9bbf390933_z.jpg23-11-2016 (4) by Sam, on Flickr

• Like 7