SRman

I'll try to take photos with the next one - I still have a Southern malachite LN to do, one I renumbered and renamed to 850, Lord Nelson, himself. That means I can run it as a preserved example too.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

"Falcon Junction" 2 miles 66 chains from Victoria, is an actual junction; a physical divergence of tracks, where the Up and Down Brighton Slow part company with the Up and Down West London serving, respectively, platforms 14 and 15, 16 and 17.  Pig Hill Sidings lie outside Victoria signalling centre (located at Clapham Junction) 0 miles 26 chains east of Falcon Junction the other end of the station.   "Clapham Junction" is the name of the station itself and as for not being much of a junction there is the ladder which permits moves from the Up Waterloo fast (platform loop), all the sidings and Windsor Lines to the Latchmere Reversible and the West London Line in addition to numerous individual crossovers.  

Interesting moves which are possible include Up Waterloo Fast to Victoria (via the Up Platform Loop, yard ladder, Up Ludgate, Longhedge Junction and the Battersea Reversible), up and down Windsor Fast Lines to Victoria via Ludgate Junction, Up or Down Ludgate, Longhedge Junction and the Battersea Reversible, and all up and down Brighton lines to and from Waterloo (via Pouparts Junction and the ladder crossovers there).

Not much of a junction then ;)

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 1

Hi Jeff,

Nice job. Is your link OK as I get this message   "Sorry, you don't have permission for that!" ?

I hope its not secret Blackburn stuff  :sungum:

Peter

Hi Peter.

Sorry, you were too quick. I posted the link before I had finished the blog entry. It should be up and working now.

• RMweb Premium

No worries Jeff, glad it was that easy.

Looking at your method, reminds me how quite a few years ago I converted all my Mainline locos (4x Standard Class 4's, 2 x Rebuilt Scots and a couple of others) and the only decoders that I could get then were Digitrax Z series to fit. Seeing your post reminded me, that now added to the list of things to do is upgrade those locos. Standard Class 4's are a favourite (not because they were built at Brighton in the early 50's, well, I am an LMS/BR person  :O ) but because my steamer is one (3/12 gauge) 

Peter

• Like 1

I just spent most of the afternoon doing a little track laying, made easier because I have been able to clear most of the stock off the upper level since buying the extra Ikea Alex unit. There is now a continuous flow from the fiddle yard right around the curve at the right-hand end of the layout.

The class 166 driving coaches are my spacing gauges - they are the widest and longest items of stock I possess, so are the ones I use to test clearances.

I also cut away a little of the church hill to allow for the future level crossing.

The curves look tight but are actually not too bad, being roughly equivalent to the set track 3rd and 4th radii or slightly larger.

09-01-15tracklayingright-endcurves-1_zps

09-01-15tracklayingright-endcurves-2_zps

09-01-15tracklayingright-endcurves-3_zps

Edited by SRman
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

That looks like several positive steps forward Jeff.

Those curves don't look so bad either.  I don't have a 466 (though toyed with the idea briefly) so my gauging is done using Heljan's Cargowaggons for length and overhang and Dapol's silver bullets which have ladders suspiciously wide to gauge when it comes to platform clearances.

The Cargowaggons come into their own when testing clearances with lineside objects. I can't use the silver bullets any more for this since I narrowed their ladder overhangs slightly, by around a millimetre on each side.

• RMweb Premium

I narrowed their ladder overhangs slightly, by around a millimetre on each side.

I found it necessary to do the same in order to avoid a complete platform rebuild.  But they are still wider than most other items overall.  Class 170 / 171 door steps are also wide but are also higher than platform surfaces.

Class 170 / 171 door steps are also wide but are also higher than platform surfaces.

Yes, I found that out on the old layout. Set all the clearances with mark 3 coaches and the 166 unit, then ran the 170 into the platform where it promptly 'beached' on the platform edges! I had to modify the platforms in a few places to clear those steps. :D

• RMweb Premium

My Southern 171 has very slightly shaved steps though the SWT 170 seems to be OK.  I believe the 12" : 1' scale railway encountered similar problems when they introduced wide-waist rolling stock with doors / steps at the ⅓ and ⅔ positions instead of the end corners.

Hi Peter.

I was going to comment on the ballast spreader in the pic, but forgot about it!

It is a Proses one I bought to try after I had completed most of the lower level ballasting, so it hasn't actually been used yet. I do intend trialling it on the upper level once I have adjusted and bedded in the tracks. I always run for some time with no ballast until I am sure everything runs properly.

I will certainly report back on its success or otherwise, once I have tried it out. That may be some months away, yet, considering my slow progress on the upper level.

• Like 1

Illustrating what I said before about the radii, I have posed a piece of set track 3rd radius track beside my freshly laid curves and you can see that mine are not quite to commercial radii but are somewhere between 3rd and 4th radius (inner) and 4th and 5th radius (outer), being a little closer to the second figure for each.

I also allow a little extra room for clearances between the tracks but close the spacing up a little along the straight or very gently curved stretches.

3rdradiusComparison-1_zps3bfbec0f.jpg

3rdradiusComparison-2_zpsc9058a25.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That looks good Jeff and I can't see you having a problem there.  The 2Bil /Hal units resent a really tight radius but go around anything from second.  I also find that using transition radii means the point of smallest radius can be close to first but everything goes around because it has a chance to ease in and out of the curve.

"Falcon Junction" 2 miles 66 chains from Victoria, is an actual junction; a physical divergence of tracks, where the Up and Down Brighton Slow part company with the Up and Down West London serving, respectively, platforms 14 and 15, 16 and 17.  Pig Hill Sidings lie outside Victoria signalling centre (located at Clapham Junction) 0 miles 26 chains east of Falcon Junction the other end of the station.   "Clapham Junction" is the name of the station itself and as for not being much of a junction there is the ladder which permits moves from the Up Waterloo fast (platform loop), all the sidings and Windsor Lines to the Latchmere Reversible and the West London Line in addition to numerous individual crossovers.  

Interesting moves which are possible include Up Waterloo Fast to Victoria (via the Up Platform Loop, yard ladder, Up Ludgate, Longhedge Junction and the Battersea Reversible), up and down Windsor Fast Lines to Victoria via Ludgate Junction, Up or Down Ludgate, Longhedge Junction and the Battersea Reversible, and all up and down Brighton lines to and from Waterloo (via Pouparts Junction and the ladder crossovers there).

Not much of a junction then ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4ZFi3Pcyy4

• Like 4

That looks like several positive steps forward Jeff.

Those curves don't look so bad either.  I don't have a 466 (though toyed with the idea briefly) so my gauging is done using Heljan's Cargowaggons for length and overhang and Dapol's silver bullets which have ladders suspiciously wide to gauge when it comes to platform clearances.

I thought it was only, me, who had that .......gauging hiccup.......... :drag:

Lovely bit of footage there, David. Lots of 4 SUBs and the odd 4 COR/RES. It also illustrates how much more visible the trains are even with just the small yellow panels.

Now, if only we had a time machine and a decent video camera to take back with us ...

• Like 1

While I was waiting for some downloads and updates to complete on the train room computer (it's an old Pentium D one cobbled together from left-over bits after upgrading the good desktops), I cut some thin card to form a template for the level crossing. This will be refined a bit before finalising it.

11-01-15LevelCrossingTemplate_zps97dd6ed

Edited by SRman
  • Like 7

I was planning to use the old fashioned style of gates on the level crossing, at least initially, with the possibility of leaving them as plug-in units so I could swap later to more modern image barriers, depending on what era I choose to run.

I do have some Peco gates, and the old Airfix level crossing kit had some half decent gates as well (now in the Dapol range).

In the meantime, I have been active again this afternoon, laying a little more third and fourth rail, with the usual swearing as chairs pinged off repeatedly into the distance! This is filling in a gap that I had previously left, between the tunnel mouth and the crossover on the inner track. I am trialling some code 55 rail with this lot.

I still have to add a ramp on the third rail ending just before the point at the crossover.

ThrdandFourthRailExtended-1_zps75f3c6b7.

ThrdandFourthRailExtended-2_zpsda1f4d98.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 4