GRANBY JUNCTION - Shunting Siphons for the Up Parcels with a Manor!

john dew

• RMweb Premium

Good luck with the weather John.

That warehouse is going to look great when it's done. You have my sympathy about unfinished jobs, I have loads!

One day they will all be done eh!

Have a good evening, Neal.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Another interesting project John. Watching Granby Jct grow is like watching a real town develop - including the coming and going of construction sites and overshooting of deadlines!

Once or twice I have even felt a slight remorse when an old building or cameo disappeared or was rebuilt. Oh well, that's progress I suppose :)

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Another interesting project John. Watching Granby Jct grow is like watching a real town develop - including the coming and going of construction sites and overshooting of deadlines!

Once or twice I have even felt a slight remorse when an old building or cameo disappeared or was rebuilt. Oh well, that's progress I suppose :)

:D  Oh dear…..I guess I will have to carry out due diligence and make sure all the boxes are ticked in my planning application for the next project!

Best wishes

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

Good idea, and please do send it all out for public hearing and a vote first. I'm sure it won't take long to reach a consensus :D

Over the years, I've come to the conclusion that a consensus is when nobody in the room agrees with each other.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Good idea, and please do send it all out for public hearing and a vote first. I'm sure it won't take long to reach a consensus :D

Not sure about that. In Chateau Dew that would leave the dog with a casting vote and I know where his loyalties lie.

• Like 3
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • john dew changed the title to GRANBY JUNCTION - the last spike? Not quite-but almost
  • RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, john dew said:

The Last Wall

I cant really call this the last spike. There is still the Brewery to complete (dont ask) and perhaps a Castle around the pillar. However, other than that, this is the only major construction remaining

54" in length it will form the layout edge from the canal warehouse in the foreground to the green bus above the red throttle

280499482_1.1Finis.jpg.7ac45e9492a2a09b7aaf05c81921f735.jpg

The first section will contain a tunnel mouth for the branch line

2014653254_1Tunel.jpg.d25a50f72edd8006bbb8e80a650a727b.jpg

I have built plenty of walls on Granby over the last 14 years. I think the most successful have actually been Scalescene prints but I dont believe they will work here. So close to the viewer they will look too flat and have durability problems.

Lots of Wills sheets to paint:

1647865881_1.2Stock.jpg.bd2da0cf82e9e7250c04f6e27c36f300.jpg

The absolute master at modelling with Wills sheets was undoubtedly the late Alan Downes. Here is an example of his work with Wills Random Stone:

1233185100_1.5AlanDownes.jpg.c4a83d8bfc39a37c25656de976d4075d.jpg

This example is perhaps a bit too "Cotswoldy" for dark satanic Granby but is a superb example of his painting technique.
He claimed to use Wills sheets by the lorry load......check this link if you dont believe me:

He developed a very effective weathering technique:

"All the stonework used here was WILLS RANDOM STONE SHEETS (SMP 200) where I first brushed them over with COLRON LIGHT OAK WOOD DYE which acts both as a primer and the base colour to the plastic sheets.

Working a sheet at a time, lay it flat then aim a very light dust coat of ACRYLIC MATT BLACK up and under the stone courses but don't over do it.

When this has dried, rub talcum powder well into the joints then scrape off the surplus.

Using the COLRON ENGLISH LIGHT OAK again DAB, NOT BRUSH, this over the stonework with a large FLAT modelling brush where it will soak into the talcum powder and because the dye is corrosive, it will adhere the talc between the courses permanantly.

However, you can use different shades of wood dye if you wish but it MUST be COLRON as this is spirit based and not water based which will just run off the plastic. - oh, and the matt black MUST be acrylic as the dye will not attack it."

My plan to follow these instructions to the letter fell at the first hurdle. Colron Spirit based dye is unavailable in Canada! Furthermore the few examples of spirit based dye I could find were in unsuitable shades.....too dark

So here after much experimenting is the Dew Compromise (how very Canadian)

1990146255_3Trial.jpg.0cbbf949be68eb9fcc9f86b756e9f6c1.jpg

At the bottom a virgin sheet.  Next dirty white weathering powder rubbed vigorously into all the mortar courses. Surplus powder removed by a sharp tap with the sheet held vertically
Light dusting of matt black acrylic from rattle can held at an angle to sheet

Here is a close up

1355605936_4Sample.jpg.b092ca9519e3ba5a659a6b09f24b0d0b.jpg

Not a patch on Alans but I am not too unhappy as a start point. Once the various sub units are made I will apply some dilute washes.  I may brush highlights to individual stones.....not sure about that right now

So with the trials complete it was time for some mass painting in the garage :

1296381359_5Mass.jpg.f54ec19c618f7b883ecea3468a288be8.jpg

To be continued...........

In other news Ben Jones @61661 the Heljan Rep was able to find a spare buffer spring for the Diesel Railcar and mailed it to me in Vancouver......thats what I call service.........thank you again Ben.

I often finish with a comment on the weather......The little creek in our local park on Monday:

river.jpg.8b1e9a1ecac2d1d6d2f7d86a85b398af.jpg

The lower mainland has had the most horrendous non stop rain for almost a week. In just 2 days the rainfall exceeded the total for a normal November. Merrit (pop 17,000), a town threatened by forest fires in August, has been completely evacuated because all essential services have been cut by flooding. Sections of both the highway and railway connecting Vancouver with the rest of the province (and Canada!) have been completely washed away.

It kind of puts the absence of Colron Dye in perspective!

Hope the rains aren't affecting you too much, John. I saw some photos of a derailed train in, I think, Fraser Pass. I believe that nobody was hurt and no pollutants were released, fortunately.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Hope the rains aren't affecting you too much, John. I saw some photos of a derailed train in, I think, Fraser Pass. I believe that nobody was hurt and no pollutants were released, fortunately.

Thanks John. Its not too bad here we live about 600' up on the North Shore Mountains. 40 miles to the east, Abbotsford (150,00) is completely surrounded by floodwater.........its the centre of a big farming community. Its heart-rending watching the poor farmers trying to save their livestock by trying to tow them to safety with a rowboat- only the cows head above water- hundreds of animals have died. The economic impact will be long lasting I am afraid

Best wishes

• Friendly/supportive 7

Some thirty years ago I visited Merritt, en passant Jasper to Van.  It was high summer, and my recollections are “dry and dusty”.

It brings these thing home when you’ve been there.  It looks damn hard for the local population, and I guess it’s already near winter.

my sympathies.

Edited by Simond
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi John

Glad you are staying safe with all the wild weather.  You certainly seem to have the stone wall painting sorted, it looks great and the final wall should look the part.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • john dew changed the title to GRANBY JUNCTION - MERRY CHRISTMAS from VANCOUVER
4 minutes ago, john dew said:

A very Merry Christmas

from Vancouver

1941798535_xmas1.jpg.b5cff9bcaa82b6fd51393a673a37053e.jpg

Wishing all RMWeb members a very happy Christmas and a prosperous and healthy 2022. Special thanks to all who follow Granby. Your comments, advice and support throughout the year make my weekly (?) attempts to write something lighthearted and amusing feel really worthwhile.

In other news, here is a picture of Granby shed which you may not have seen before:

865888830_4.2PassageBW.jpg.d1d2fd2ed9b3be90e6de3e9f94d529e3.jpg

I occasionally post Black and White shots in the "How realistic are your Models?" thread. This has been selected to appear in the February edition of BRM to be published Dec 31. Its the first time a photo of Granby have ever appeared in a magazine, so I guess that quite a memorable start to 2022!

Merry Christmas from Manchester.
chris.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Personally I think it's about time that BRM took a trip across the Atlantic to do a photo shoot of Granby Jct.  There's material for several issues.  I suppose there are one or two slight obstacles such as money, pandemic and climate change - but needs must! 

Have a good christmas John :)

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Personally I think it's about time that BRM took a trip across the Atlantic to do a photo shoot of Granby Jct.  There's material for several issues.  I suppose there are one or two slight obstacles such as money, pandemic and climate change - but needs must! 

Have a good christmas John :)

Thanks Mikel........and a very happy Christmas to you!

Andy would be very welcome. Apart from the photography I have a couple of non performing point motors I cant quite reach! One can live in hope I guess.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

My annual visit to Granby Jctn to see what's happening.  Hi John, Merry Christmas!   Lookin' good as usual, I don't know where you find the time especially  at this time of year.  Not much 'training' for me as I fell and broke my hip.  Can't reach over the layout for a while as I'm still hobbling around.  Lot of snow your way and its supposed to come this way soon so I'm not venturing out - don't want to make it worse!  All the best for 2022!

Brian.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
On 25/12/2021 at 15:54, brianusa said:

My annual visit to Granby Jctn to see what's happening.  Hi John, Merry Christmas!   Lookin' good as usual, I don't know where you find the time especially  at this time of year.  Not much 'training' for me as I fell and broke my hip.  Can't reach over the layout for a while as I'm still hobbling around.  Lot of snow your way and its supposed to come this way soon so I'm not venturing out - don't want to make it worse!  All the best for 2022!

Brian.

Hi Brian

Good to hear from you. Sorry to learn that your hip is taking so long to heal. Lets hope your recovery will be complete early in 2022. You are absolutely right not to venture out in this weather. Quite apart from the snow, the temperature here is at an all time low. Inland -25o can be par for the course but not on the coast…..its really is b****y freezing.

Keep safe,  Best wishes

• Friendly/supportive 1