GRANBY JUNCTION - Shunting Siphons for the Up Parcels with a Manor!

john dew

• RMweb Gold
On 26/12/2021 at 00:35, trw1089 said:

Hope you had a good Christmas John and you are staying safe. Looking forward to more shots of Granby in the New Year, as long as there are not too many panniers ;-)

cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony……nice to hear from you. Hope you had a good Christmas.

Cant make any promises about panniers……..they have a tendency to creep into the scene without me noticing.

All the best for 2022

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

1045676277_1Open.thumb.jpg.901805d7b3a8c89d59ef7fb0b3b3f9ca.jpg

Arrived just in time for Christmas........the Dapol Large Prairie.

Its shown here in virtually out of the box condition. The loco number has been changed to 5174 (Chester Shed 1947) with engraved plates. The buffer beam numbers will be changed when I weather her.

Visually its very attractive with an abundance of neat accurate detail. The brass safety valve cap is a delightful moulding but the highly polished finished would, perhaps, be more suited for a Horse Guard's helmet than a hard working loco. A touch of dullcote should solve that.

In the opening shot you can see that the slide bars have been splayed for clearance purposes. Its not proto-typical and it does jar somewhat. However its not that obvious when running so I can live with it.

As with the Dapol Mogul, decoder fitting is innovative. Ease out the push fit smoke box door with the provided tool, pull out the PCB, plug in the Next 18 decoder and replace.....job done.

There were reports of poor running with frequent stalling over point work. Happily that does not seem to be the case with my model. Neither is haulage an an issue. At 300gm its 50% heavier than the Hornby Prairie which needed packing with lead before it would look at 4 coaches. However RR&Co is very demanding. There is a suggestion of hes itation below speed step 4. I may need to file the rear pony truck axle slots down a little 

I mentioned detail and innovation......the cab roof slides off:

249721347_3Roof.jpg.2370d9256994ca64379854ec81ac39fe.jpg

The rear cab windows are individually glazed and just look at the protective bars

The back head detail is astonishing:

971964786_2Backhead.jpg.5f9c42af7ca32def37b58ab71ca7bb1a.jpg

Not sure how much will be seen, but its nice to know its there. It will definitely make it much easier to add crew.

The coal load is quite realistic but it is removeable and the bunker is fully modelled

Here is a comparison shot with the Hornby Prairie. Its bit unfair with a pristine 5124 and a more realistic workstained 4129

1254263685_4Prairies.thumb.jpg.e67696709f2218a8ad20c26b5e1e78a4.jpg

I have been running the Hornby Prairies for a year now. Initially they were very disappointing. After all the remedial work particularly hard wiring Stay Alive Capacitors, they are now solid reliable performers. Although my heart is still beating a bit too fast when they approach some of my point work. The Dapol prairie is much more sure footed.

To finish...... a three company colour comparison...........which is the authentic GWR green?

674186118_6Trio2.thumb.jpg.2edc0080968775e8fbf5fb46f2b34355.jpg

To my mind the Dapol Prairie is pretty close to the Bacjmann 94xx. Even allowing for the heavier weathering, the Hornby green looks a bit washed out.

All a bit subjective......we have had a load more snow here and that may have reflected into the light in the Train Room.

Best wishes from a very cold (23o F) Vancouver

4.5 Dapol Hornby.jpg

Edited by john dew
Replace photos
  • Like 18

• john dew changed the title to GRANBY JUNCTION - HAPPY NEW YEAR from VANCOUVER
  • RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, john dew said:

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

1240080914_1Open.jpg.a038b2874d8ebe827599be31534c22e9.jpg

Arrived just in time for Christmas........the Dapol Large Prairie.

Its shown here in virtually out of the box condition. The loco number has been changed to 5174 (Chester Shed 1947) with engraved plates. The buffer beam numbers will be changed when I weather her.

Visually its very attractive with an abundance of neat accurate detail. The brass safety valve cap is a delightful moulding but the highly polished finished would, perhaps, be more suited for a Horse Guard's helmet than a hard working loco. A touch of dullcote should solve that.

In the opening shot you can see that the slide bars have been splayed for clearance purposes. Its not proto-typical and it does jar somewhat. However its not that obvious when running so I can live with it.

As with the Dapol Mogul, decoder fitting is innovative. Ease out the push fit smoke box door with the provided tool, pull out the PCB, plug in the Next 18 decoder and replace.....job done.

There were reports of poor running with frequent stalling over point work. Happily that does not seem to be the case with my model. Neither is haulage an an issue. At 300gm its 50% heavier than the Hornby Prairie which needed packing with lead before it would look at 4 coaches. However RR&Co is very demanding. There is a suggestion of hes itation below speed step 4. I may need to file the rear pony truck axle slots down a little 

I mentioned detail and innovation......the cab roof slides off:

19840196_3Roof.jpg.476f74ec09d9248dadb428f972dfe5fa.jpg

The rear cab windows are individually glazed and just look at the protective bars

The back head detail is astonishing:

118200868_2Backhead.jpg.c20ca577b0c4f8f48f52d435a5a4a26e.jpg

Not sure how much will be seen, but its nice to know its there. It will definitely make it much easier to add crew.

The coal load is quite realistic but it is removeable and the bunker is fully modelled

Here is a comparison shot with the Hornby Prairie. Its bit unfair with a pristine 5124 and a more realistic workstained 4129

332272229_4Prairies.jpg.e769ee41d5e72ab7ec9f6e8213755a63.jpg

I have been running the Hornby Prairies for a year now. Initially they were very disappointing. After all the remedial work particularly hard wiring Stay Alive Capacitors, they are now solid reliable performers. Although my heart is still beating a bit too fast when they approach some of my point work. The Dapol prairie is much more sure footed.

To finish...... a three company colour comparison...........which is the authentic GWR green?

591641665_6Trio2.jpg.e78822e1ec45c7f6ae38e743e0a9eaf1.jpg

Trio.jpg.7d9a9ba690274422529861c6d17c945e.jpg

To my mind the Dapol Prairie is pretty close to the Bacjmann 94xx. Even allowing for the heavier weathering, the Hornby green looks a bit washed out.

All a bit subjective......we have had a load more snow here and that may have reflected into the light in the Train Room.

Best wishes from a very cold (23o F) Vancouver

Interesting to compare the chimneys in that last shot John. They look hugely different.

All the best for the New Year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi John and another lovely post,

The group photos are really good and I like the way small variances between the two Prairies add to the realism of the scene, since with service progressing, differences will become even more evident. I hadn’t realised that the chimneys were so different, as spotted by Neal. They look most different in the last photo where the light background roof deceives the eye slightly, but will probably look more settled when weathered.

The Liverpool retailer confirmed to me yesterday that they were inspecting my Dapol shirt button model, which is now on its way to France, so I’m hopeful of a good result when it arrives. Which Zimo decoder have you used as I need to order some more?

Remarkably warm and sunny here today with our new outdoor cat fast asleep on top of the cold frame.

Best,

Bill

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 31/12/2021 at 09:14, john dew said:

I will try and take close ups of the two chimneys later today. Why didnt I spot that?  Cant see the wood for the trees!

I think the Dapol chimney (foreground) is, perhaps, fractionally taller and wider than the Hornby example.

The difference is exaggerated because the "copper" caps are different. The Dapol version is clearly deeper and the emerging chimney is "copper". I suspect the difference will be less obvious when the cap is weathered and the chimney portion painted black

Chimneys.jpg.7b99b126f6a98e4906022c3230b7ba10.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

It'll be fine John with some smoky black weathering.

Hopfully mine will arrive next week. I've order a couple of Zimo MX618 DCC Next18 MX618N18  decoders from a Paris model shop and trust it's the right one!

Looking forward to seeing your next joint comparrison with the Hornby when weathering, ets is complete.

Best,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, longchap said:

Hopfully mine will arrive next week. I've order a couple of Zimo MX618 DCC Next18 MX618N18  decoders from a Paris model shop and trust it's the right one!

Looking forward to seeing your next joint comparrison with the Hornby when weathering, ets is complete.

Best,

Bill

A couple?   Two prairies? ……You can never have too  many prairies

ps they are the correct decoders for the Dapol prairie or mogul

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, longchap said:

Best,

Bill

Hope the Prairies get through ok Bill. (Transit / customs / Brexit etc)

I hear that from 1st Jan imports to the UK are going to have additional checks at customs…. That’ll be as chaotic as our imports have been since July - Brexit, the gift that keeps giving!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, john dew said:

A couple?   Two prairies? ……You can never have too  many prairies

ps they are the correct decoders for the Dapol prairie or mogul

Thanks for the confirmation John. Only a single Prairie, the other is for one of the two Moguls!

11 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Hope the Prairies get through ok Bill. (Transit / customs / Brexit etc)

I hear that from 1st Jan imports to the UK are going to have additional checks at customs…. That’ll be as chaotic as our imports have been since July - Brexit, the gift that keeps giving!

Thanks Neal, it was due to the several issues aired on RMWeb with the Prairie, that I thought I'd better call it off from my Hattons' trunk before they sold all their stock, so if it needs to go back, it wouldn't be such an issue. Fortunately, they confirmed my request to inspect the running plate / tank joint for on mine prior to shipping.

Due to almost all UK deliveries now costing me more through unfathomable Brexit charges, I'm sourcing as much as I can from EU states, hence the decoders from Paris. In the meantime, I have a stash of various goodies waiting for me at a good chum's workshop, where I was due to collect from this month. Not sure when it will be safe and practical to travel now. Cup still half full though :whistle:

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, longchap said:

Thanks for the confirmation John. Only a single Prairie, the other is for one of the two Moguls!

Thanks Neal, it was due to the several issues aired on RMWeb with the Prairie, that I thought I'd better call it off from my Hattons' trunk before they sold all their stock, so if it needs to go back, it wouldn't be such an issue. Fortunately, they confirmed my request to inspect the running plate / tank joint for on mine prior to shipping.

Due to almost all UK deliveries now costing me more through unfathomable Brexit charges, I'm sourcing as much as I can from EU states, hence the decoders from Paris. In the meantime, I have a stash of various goodies waiting for me at a good chum's workshop, where I was due to collect from this month. Not sure when it will be safe and practical to travel now. Cup still half full though :whistle:

It’s a case of balancing everything and getting everything when we fly in.

I can see the motorhome in the summer will be very full with railway items!

• Friendly/supportive 3

On 31/12/2021 at 01:40, john dew said:

That's interesting to hear. My Hornby Prairie's never run well, poor pick up and jerky running if track not spotless. I've just fitted Zimo tanatlum stay alive (1400uF) onto the MX600R decoder and I can't say it's made any improvement so I'm rather disappointed. (Compounded by knocking off and losing one of the sandboxes in taking it apart:angry:) If I regain my composure I may try another decoder and stay alive just in case I've messed up with the Zimo one. But the Dapol loco is looking tempting...

Wishing you all the best for the new year

Jon

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, The Great Bear said:

That's interesting to hear. My Hornby Prairie's never run well, poor pick up and jerky running if track not spotless. I've just fitted Zimo tanatlum stay alive (1400uF) onto the MX600R decoder and I can't say it's made any improvement so I'm rather disappointed. (Compounded by knocking off and losing one of the sandboxes in taking it apart:angry:) If I regain my composure I may try another decoder and stay alive just in case I've messed up with the Zimo one. But the Dapol loco is looking tempting...

Wishing you all the best for the new year

Jon

Hi Jon

I removed the PCB and filed down the screw mounts. This provides sufficient space to hardwire a Zimo MX617 and Supercap (6700uF)

Have you done any of the modifications listed in the Hornby Prairie thread?

I added almost 100gm of lead, eased the body screws and filed down the front pony truck mount. I would recommend all of these!

Happy New Year

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 03/01/2022 at 18:32, john dew said:

Hi Jon

I removed the PCB and filed down the screw mounts. This provides sufficient space to hardwire a Zimo MX617 and Supercap (6700uF)

Have you done any of the modifications listed in the Hornby Prairie thread?

I added almost 100gm of lead, eased the body screws and filed down the front pony truck mount. I would recommend all of these!

Happy New Year

That's worked a treat - runs so much better, thank you, John

Jon

• Thanks 1

Surely this is not the same thing that has plagued OO models over the years.  In spite of all the improvements in electronics, it never seems to go away in OO trains and really having to do it yourself to improve running is certainly off!  It was bad enough at early prices but not so when todays are more expensive.

Brian

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• john dew changed the title to GRANBY JUNCTION - Muck and grime on the GWR 1947-8
  • RMweb Premium

Excellent narrative John thank you.

Given you’ve changed the title to “muck and Grime”…. I’m trying to work out whose who… is the fella by the street lamp…. Muck or Grime? :yahoo_mini:

Edited by Neal Ball
Typo
  • Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well populated John and with skill in the painting and placement department. Granby has so many nooks and crannies which continue to provide scope for more great cameos, even in plain sight on busy thoroughfares, but I shed a sigh of frustration for the owner of the Austin 7, under the scrutiny of the beat bobby writing out a ticket!

Oh and well done modelling the pedestrian crossing without the “zebra” markings.

Best,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bill @longchap

Thanks for the nice comments. There is so much dust on the Austin 7 its hardly surprising it got a ticket. I guess that cameo is a bit of a cliche but I couldnt resist it!

Great to hear from you........hopefully everything is all sorted.......it sounded like a very persistent and unpleasant bug you had. I suspect, being poorly,  you were not able to read my post of Feb 9- there was a bit in there that was intended to cheer you up :D

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1