Bradfield, Gloucester Square BR 1962 ish

TheLaird

?!? How the heck did you paint that so quickly...? :blink:

I'm gob-smacked. The appearance is absolutely fabulous and completely captures the atmosphere. I started to watch this thread when I first saw your detailed valance on the overhead lighting strip (I hope you don't mind if I steal that idea :D ) and have thoroughly enjoyed all of your posts ever since.

Please keep up the fantastic work and keep the photos coming.

Hello

May I ask what adhesive you use for the internal bracing of the foam board ? Also what adhesive do you use to stick the brick sheets to the front foam board ?

Thank you

Hi Chris, I do not use foam board. The building shell is 40thou(1mm) plasticard with 20thou and embossed sheet laminated to the front face. 40thou is also used for the internal bracing. I use solvent adhesive to weld the plastic together, cellulose thinners actually.

John E.

In your own time, because you are getting ready for an exhibition, but how did you do the insides of the letters such as D and A? I understand the rest of the explanation. Fiddly and slow perhaps, but certainly very stylish once finished. My third baseboard will feature an urban scene and this technique lends itself quite nicely to some of the buildings I want to put into it.

Ta.

BTW - this layout just keeps getting better. Right up there with the best on this forum. biggrin.gif

In your own time, because you are getting ready for an exhibition, but how did you do the insides of the letters such as D and A? I understand the rest of the explanation. Fiddly and slow perhaps, but certainly very stylish once finished. My third baseboard will feature an urban scene and this technique lends itself quite nicely to some of the buildings I want to put into it.

Ta.

BTW - this layout just keeps getting better. Right up there with the best on this forum. biggrin.gif

I cut out the inside shapes as well (you can see them on the cutting pad in the photo I posted on 19th Feb) and hold them in position with the blunt end of a pencil or other similar implement which may be at hand. It sometimes helps to dampen the paper template slightly as it then hugs the surface better. Alternatively, if you use a marker pen that is thick enough you can get away with doing it free hand using the outer stencil as your guide. If you want to do light letters on a dark surface you will need to use paint, dabbing it on sparingly with a small fine sponge or cloth. You do not need to get it perfect especially if you are weathering it as the letters do fade with time and parts wear away with the elements.

Thanks also for the nice comments and from all the other contributors, it certainly helps with the motivation!!

regards John E

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, we're back! Two weeks soaking up the Florida sunshine and now, Jetlag! What an undignified way to travel, couped up in a confined space for so long, horrible. Anyway, back to 1962 and deepest darkest Yorkshire. It has been difficult motivating the builders but what better way than building a pub. I still had to promise free Ale all round on the opening night to get them going. They are really cracking on now as the picture shows. This is based on the Ring O Bells in Bradford, a stone construction like the other buildings on the layout but at some time the brewery has tried to tart it up a bit by rendering the front and side faces.

post-10660-0-33180800-1300469237_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly opening time at the Pub! Just need the sign now. Not only have the builders cracked on with the pub, but Bradfield Corporation have been busy laying roads and pavements!!. The eagle eyed among you may also notice that the landscape gardeners have payed a visit too, Bickerdykes Mill is no longer suspended in mid air.

post-10660-0-91421800-1301340718_thumb.jpg

I have had a few complaints recently from the passengers about the cleanliness of the carriages and the disgusting state of the new diesels. I have to agree with them but the trouble is we just can't get the cleaners any more. Since the catalogue company opened its HQ in town the carriage cleaners have all left as they offer better wages and conditions. Its the same in Leeds, the station master there has the same problem and the Loco shed have been short of cleaners for ages. Some of the new diesels are less than twelve months old but look more like twelve years. I think the drivers are not to keen on them either.

post-10660-0-37683200-1301765296_thumb.jpg

I have taken a break from buildings and decided to do a spot of weathering on the loco's and stock. A few photo's of trains makes a nice change and thought I would introduce the current fleet available at Bradfield.

post-10660-0-20357500-1301765304_thumb.jpg

The Nottingham parcels.

post-10660-0-54333000-1301765288_thumb.jpg

post-10660-0-43071700-1301765291_thumb.jpg

post-10660-0-88231500-1301765298_thumb.jpg

post-10660-0-73390900-1301765309_thumb.jpg

The 108 in platform 2 used to be blue and has had a repaint. The others are standard Hornby and Bachmann.

All Loco's and DMU's have pickups on all wheels and the DMU's are wired through to aid reliability. All are fitted with sound decoders.

HOORAY! - at long last, the steelwork for the station roof is begining to arrive on site!!

post-10660-0-22426000-1302200851_thumb.jpg

Soon the long suffering passengers may have some shelter from the Pennine rain. ( What passengers??)

post-10660-0-66566800-1302200856_thumb.jpg

Five more trusses to go and then the glazing, guttering etc., and only four weeks to the exhibition - no pressure here then!!

What about signals did someone say?

• Sat 7th - Sun 8th May 2011
  • Cossington Railway Society on Behalf of Leicester Model Railway Group - Cossrail Leicester Model Railway Hobby Show
  • Humphrey Perkins High School, Cotes Road, Barrow-upon-soar, Leicestershire LE12 8JU
    OPENING TIMES: SAT 10am-4pm, SUN 10am-4pm
    ADMISSION: Adults £3.00 Concessions £2.00 Children £2.00 Family £8.00

Someone else who gets a real kick out the fumes of plastic weld!!!! Looking the usual fantastic standard that the rest of this layout has in spades.

Are you doing an overall glass roof like Ron is on his Manchester layout?

Love watching how people can make strips of plastic look like the real thing. I have ten 1:1 scale thumbs which makes working to that standard in a small scale difficult. biggrin.gif

Are you doing an overall glass roof like Ron is on his Manchester layout?

Simple question but not a simple answer!! This roof is very different to the one on Mancheter Central and will not be to the same meticulous engineering standards that Ron employs. However, it was originally an overall glass roof but because of wartime hostilities a lot of stations had all their glass removed and not all of it was replaced afterwards. This roof will only be glazed where it affords protection to the passengers ie over the platforms, a common practice on the real thing.

This picture shows the type of roof I am trying to recreate, it is at Leicester Midland and covers the concourse area in front of the station. It is obviously difficult to get shots from above but gives the general idea i hope. It is a common design employed by the Midland Railway at a lot of its station built towards the end of the 19th Century.

post-10660-0-21570800-1302248349_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Having just read this thread from the start I can only echo what's already been said and if I said any more than 'fantastic' I would run out of superlatives! :D . All those lovely Peaks remind me of days on Sheffield Midland and the weathering is suberb, just the right amount of muck. Real inspiration for my future 'big' layout. The trackwork has also sealed a decision for me I already use similar standards ie SMP copperclad points etc. so I'm sticking with it ;), just going to up my game. More loco photos please, cheers Phil.

Progress report from from deepest darkest Yorkshire - Trusses Done! With hindsight that was the easy bit. The problem is that the roof needs to be removable for track cleaning, repairs etc.so the trusses can,t be fixed in position. I am having to build the roof in situ to maintain the correct spacing of trusses so that they will slot back into the cut outs in the wall. It is suprisingly strong now that everything is bonded together.

post-10660-0-98605900-1302636421_thumb.jpg

post-10660-0-65582100-1302636427_thumb.jpg

I have just read through the thread from start to finish and have to say what a superb layout. The buildings, track, stock, it all makes for a truly atmospheric layout. Excellent modelling.

It was really good to see how it has all come together especially seeing how the buildings were made and then finished and weathered.

Lovely collection of Peaks too!

Some nice metalwork on the roof!

Archived