Edge

Newly-built L&B Manning Wardle Lyd was outshopped in BR lined black on 12/12/10. given the number 30190, and an early BR crest.

I think it looks an awful lot better than that plain black she has been carrying for a while. It's also nice to see that us freelancers get a bit of a say in the real world too :D

Lyd_AT30-12-10black20at20BL.jpg

Lyd_AT2-1-11BF20with20Taliesin.jpg

I cannot take any credit for the pictures, they were taken by Andrew Thomas and another (unknown) photographer.

I don't like it........................................................................................I LOVE IT...:good_mini:

Camera fodder of the first water so whenever it makes its next run, I'd like to know...:D

Larry G.

word is that Lyd may well be runnign trains onto the rebuilt WHR until it is repainted. Owing to the bypass works in the area, the FR is closed until march, so no luck there.

Probably your best bet to find out when and where it will be is on My link

Far better than a whole fleet of Tornadoes, IMHO.

Have you ever seen a whole squadron of them fly over in formation? :P Truly awesome! :lol:

(And yes, I know you really meant 60163 :P )

Narrow gauge isn't my thing, but what coldhearted enthusiast could look at Lyd and not fall in love with its classic Manning Wardle shape and lines? :wub:

Not sure on the BR paint myself, but the locomotive is a credit to her builders, every inch the L&B type recreated.

• RMweb Premium

Newly-built L&B Manning Wardle Lyd was outshopped in BR lined black on 12/12/10. given the number 30190, and an early BR crest.

I think it looks an awful lot better than that plain black she has been carrying for a while. It's also nice to see that us freelancers get a bit of a say in the real world too :D

Any idea why the number 30190 was chosen?

That would have been the number of an O2 (W25) if it had stayed on the mainland.

Keith

LEW was number 188 and I cannot remember what was number 189, but the next available number would apparently have been 190. In the BR renumbering 30000 was added, so there you have 30190. Racking my brains now to think what was 189 in BR days. The O2 class were in that number range although 189 was scrapped in 1933.

Geoff.

• RMweb Premium

LEW was number 188 and I cannot remember what was number 189, but the next available number would apparently have been 190. In the BR renumbering 30000 was added, so there you have 30190. Racking my brains now to think what was 189 in BR days. The O2 class were in that number range although 189 was scrapped in 1933.

Geoff.

Confusing!

No number 189 (30189) by BR days but 188 was also an O2 which became W23 in 1925 according to the info I have.

The other L&B (original) engines were numbered E759-E762, all were sold, along with E188 in 1935.

It's a pity the Southern didn't have a more logical numbering system like the other "Big 4" then an obvious number would have been available, such as with "Tornado"

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Confusing!

No number 189 (30189) by BR days but 188 was also an O2 which became W23 in 1925 according to the info I have.

The other L&B (original) engines were numbered E759-E762, all were sold, along with E188 in 1935.

It's a pity the Southern didn't have a more logical numbering system like the other "Big 4" then an obvious number would have been available, such as with "Tornado"

Keith

The Southern had a very logical numbering system - an excellent early example being 'C1'wink.gif

as far as I can establish, the VoR and W&LLR locos carried their GWR numbers into BR days with no renumbering ( since they were unique classes unsuited to any other duties, and the original numbers were far outside the BR series ). I don't know about the Corrisn locos, although their BR careers were brief so they were probably never painted or numbered in BR colours - unless anyone knows otherwise? There are photos also showing one of the W&LLR locos carrying the number 2 on its buffer beam in BR days. I remember seeing them in the Ian Allan loco number books of the day - the pocket-sized ones that WH Smith used to sell on station bookstalls.

So, the assumption must be that Lyd - or any other surviving minor line loco - would have carried its original pre-nationalisation number until withdrawn from service

• RMweb Gold

as far as I can establish, the VoR and W&LLR locos carried their GWR numbers into BR days with no renumbering ( since they were unique classes unsuited to any other duties, and the original numbers were far outside the BR series ). I don't know about the Corrisn locos, although their BR careers were brief so they were probably never painted or numbered in BR colours - unless anyone knows otherwise? There are photos also showing one of the W&LLR locos carrying the number 2 on its buffer beam in BR days. I remember seeing them in the Ian Allan loco number books of the day - the pocket-sized ones that WH Smith used to sell on station bookstalls.

So, the assumption must be that Lyd - or any other surviving minor line loco - would have carried its original pre-nationalisation number until withdrawn from service

The reason the VoR and W&LR locos carried on with their existing numbers was simple - ex GWR locos were not renumbered as a consequence of nationalisation. Locos belonging to other Companies were renumbered into the respect x0,000 groupings - 30,000 being added to ex Southern Railway locos hence a number in that series series being used in this instance.

• RMweb Premium

The reason the VoR and W&LR locos carried on with their existing numbers was simple - ex GWR locos were not renumbered as a consequence of nationalisation. Locos belonging to other Companies were renumbered into the respect x0,000 groupings - 30,000 being added to ex Southern Railway locos hence a number in that series series being used in this instance.

One ex GWR diesel shunter was renumbered from No.2 to 15100. As it was not a steam loco it was put in the new list for diesel & electric (and gas turbine!) traction (10000-29999)

Edit: I think the smokebox plate on 30190 is too small, it would be better if it was more like the size of the other NG locos on BR.

Nice colour scheme though.

Keith

If they have given Lyd 30190 as a BR number I think that we will see the SR green as 190.

Going backwards how about the markings when in L&B livery (assuming that it was delivered prior to L&B becoming SR).

Yes!

She looks good like that but wheres the nameplate?:O

Cheers,

John E.

I couldn't really fit the nameplate in, and it would have just looked too fussy (thinking of 69023 "Joem" with all embelishments).

Yes, ideal for my projected Barnstaple Town layout set in the 50's/60's. I have to say that I had not thought of black, my assumption being that BR would have done the same as they did to the VoR loco's and used lined green.

Presumably the line would have started under SR control and later transferred to WR?

Ed

• RMweb Premium

Yes, ideal for my projected Barnstaple Town layout set in the 50's/60's. I have to say that I had not thought of black, my assumption being that BR would have done the same as they did to the VoR loco's and used lined green.

Presumably the line would have started under SR control and later transferred to WR?

Ed

Does it not depend whether they were considered to be mixed traffic or primarily passenger locos?

Keith

Does it not depend whether they were considered to be mixed traffic or primarily passenger locos?

Keith

The L & B was mixed traffic in the truest sense I suppose. There were no goods-only trains. Any goods traffic was added to the passenger trains and detached at the appropriate station along the line. This was partly to blame for the laggardly timetable, which in turn caused potential passengers to desert to the omnibus services that sprang up following road improvements. (Partly funded by taxation on the railway companies).

Geoff.

Keith

I thought it did, but with the added complication of under a certain wheel diameter - can't remember which but wasn't there a livery change because of this? And what about locos like ER B12, passenger engines if ever there was any, and in blsck, fits the wheel diameter rule too.

Archived