Catcott Burtle

Chris Nevard

I must admit next time Catcott does a two day show I'm temted to do a morning or afternoon in late 60's early 70's mode with plain blue bubble cars, Class 31's, Hymeks, Class 22's & Westerns etc. Lots of milk tanks and short wheelbase covered vans etc.

Music to my ears! cant wait to see the pics!tongue.gif

even better, make the Bubble car blue and grey with a clapped out Hymek with a couple of blue/grey mark 1's!!

Here's another BR blue, this time a shot of W55033. This one was made up in the early 1980's from 2 Lima units before they did a bubble car. The chassis is a little bent, hence the gap above the buffer beam (a little glue will sort that out). A couple of years ago I flushglazed it and added a Black Beetle so it's a really sweet runner.

I admit to adding faux clag in Photoshop and lit lights from a pic of a full sized one. Cheeting? Of course!!

gallery_6681_139_118401.jpg

Here's another BR blue, this time a shot of W55033. This one was made up in the early 1980's from 2 Lima units before they did a bubble car. The chassis is a little bent, hence the gap above the buffer beam (a little glue will sort that out). A couple of years ago I flushglazed it and added a Black Beetle so it's a really sweet runner.

I admit to adding faux clag in Photoshop and lit lights from a pic of a full sized one. Cheeting? Of course!!

gallery_6681_139_118401.jpg

It's that driver again! Looks like he is passed on everything from steam to PSVs, must be a good bloke :D

Hurrah! A thread, I too am finding the blogs too much like hard work to follow. Beautiful work as ever. I'm constantly amazed at how you are able to transform models that most of us could find but through careful reworking and delicate painting turn them into something, that when photographed, looks quite real. When seeing your work I can't help but wonder if the extra effort EM et al involves if one wouldn't be better using the time elsewhere for greater overall realism??¦ just a thought I mull over in my mind as I play with my toys.

Cheers!! :lol: :D

For me it's 00 - if I had to rechassis all my steam locos (my main interest over diesel) I'd never have time to enjoy scenic modelling which is my passion. EM/P4 would be nice but it's not for me - I've only after 30 years modelling worked out which way around to hold a soldering iron (the wrong end is hot I found out t'other day) :icon_e_confused:

The baloney....

58086 slows for Catcott with an afternoon service from Templecombe in August 1956.

Actually..... the real reason for this shot is to show off the topped up static grass using a Noch Grasmaster. The grass on the embankment was a little short, we all know that in real life that rough wild grass can grow to in access of 4 feet in the summer months. The joy of static grass is that to gain extra height all one has to do is build up another layer on top of what's aleady there. The trick is to use paler more straw like tones for the top layer so as to depict the dead feathery tops.

That's the Mrs in shot shrunk down so she could check out the running of the LMS sub.

post-6681-12598301692697_thumb.jpg

Hello Chris

Silly question but how do you get it to stick to the grass thats already there ? do you use hairspray or dilute pva ? I would have thought if I put glue on the existing static grass it would have flattened it down.

Any info gratefully received

thanks

Chris R 40

Hello Chris

Silly question but how do you get it to stick to the grass thats already there ? do you use hairspray or dilute pva ? I would have thought if I put glue on the existing static grass it would have flattened it down.

Any info gratefully received

thanks

Chris R 40

I thought that too - but no, the new layer is so light is doesn't flatten what's already there (what's there is quite springy, don't do this until the first layer has set). I spray on diluted PVA (50/50) using a toothbrush dipped into glue if you're only reapplying to a small area (run your thumb over the toothbrush head to get a spray/splatter), an airbrush or artist's diffuser. I've never found hairspary too effective as an adhesive - though that might be because the one I 'borrow' is too posh.

post-6681-12598337639819_thumb.jpg

Hi Chris, I've been following the development of Catcott with much interest here and on your website. It's inspired me to have a go with the foamboard base method which you seem to have employed here with such success. I was wondering if you had any particular tips or suggestions based on your experiences, or an update on how things are (literally) holding together so far?

Thanks

Andy

Hi Chris, I've been following the development of Catcott with much interest here and on your website. It's inspired me to have a go with the foamboard base method which you seem to have employed here with such success. I was wondering if you had any particular tips or suggestions based on your experiences, or an update on how things are (literally) holding together so far?

Thanks

Andy

No problems at all - the layout is only 50% foamboard. All outer surfaces and ends are plywood. Foamboard is no good for an out surface because it dents too easily

So from the point of view of baseboard joins etc, its essentially a plywood baseboard? Also, how do the two materials take to being glued(?) together?

As an aside, having spent the first few years of my life in the Bridgewater area its nice to see something representing "home" territory, even if it predates me by a few years (with the exception of your corporate-bluest period). My earliest railway memory is seeing Hymek 7017 stood with milk tankers from my Dad's Morris Minor parked across a small river...took literally decades before I worked out I'd been at Bason Bridge :-) Similarly, I recall a good few Glastonbury festivals trudging along the central "track" woozily thinking "must have been some Great Western along here...man". Geography was never my strongpoint. Must be great to have an education ;-)

Thanks

Andy

So from the point of view of baseboard joins etc, its essentially a plywood baseboard? Also, how do the two materials take to being glued(?) together? <<SNIP>>

Andy

I use PVA and use masking tape to hold everything together whilst it sets - the baseboard is essentially a foamboard inner box with ply for the backscene, sides and ends.

gallery_6681_139_65958.jpg

yptmzh.jpg

---------Below - today's pic!-----------

Bath's Black 5 No. 45440 was normally limited to the 'Mainline', but on this rare occasion in the late summer of 1956 it was caught dropping off a bogie bolster wagon at Catcott Burtle.

I've had problem with this renumbered Hornby Black 5 never running that well. A few months ago I took the chassis apart to sort out the pickups. The result being that it stopped running completely - the pick-ups being held in place a very odd way. Anyway, to cut a long story short and with my new reading glasses to actually see what I'm doing I had another go which was successful. 3 hours running in on a circle or track later (dodging the cat who kept trying to knock the loco off) and we have a very sweet runner indeed! Result! There's scope for further weathering in due course - jobs like that are best never rushed.

gallery_6681_139_181384.jpg

I wasn't totally happy with the look of the foliage on the two major trees on Catcott - it was a little heavy, lifeless and a tad matted. So, a couple of days ago I removed the trees and further teezed the foliage (Woodland Scenics scatter on their Polyfiber) apart to make it very see-through. A fresh coat of Woodland Scenics 'mid green course turf' and Sylvia wood based scatter a French make picked up at RailExpo '07 in Paris were both applied to diluted PVA. Further light colour adjustment was with aerosol (Racing green amd some 1970's Ford beige) and a diluted bespoke acrylic/pva mix to reduce the playgroup green of commercial scatters. I find diluted PVA far better than the more common hairspay for fixing such into place. Cheaper too!

post-6681-12601108218258_thumb.jpg

post-6681-12601108563243_thumb.jpg

The baloney....

58086 slows for Catcott with an afternoon service from Templecombe in August 1956.

Actually..... the real reason for this shot is to show off the topped up static grass using a Noch Grasmaster. The grass on the embankment was a little short, we all know that in real life that rough wild grass can grow to in access of 4 feet in the summer months. The joy of static grass is that to gain extra height all one has to do is build up another layer on top of what's aleady there. The trick is to use paler more straw like tones for the top layer so as to depict the dead feathery tops.

That's the Mrs in shot shrunk down so she could check out the running of the LMS sub.

Chris,

I've long admired your scenic work and note you mention the Noch Static grass system. Have you used this method throughout your recently published layouts? It's expensive but if it can produce such convincing grass I may well have to invest in one for the next layout which will have a lot more countryside, after all, it's not much more than a new Bachmann or Hornby Pacific which I know I don't really need.

Dave

Just noticed the driver [ or guard ] in the Bubble car photo on 1st Dec, another cheat ? or are you that realistic at painting 4mm people ? Great touch

Very much a cheat - I hate messing about with fine detail believe it or not! The figure is in fact a well known magazine editor but I won't embarrass him by saying who :lol: (he does have a copy though).

Below, just another pic of my recently rebuilt 25 year old Airfix 4F (new fully compensated Comet chassis). Errm, yup, I have yet to add a crew ('cos I hate painting them) so you have me on the footplate instead. Spot the cat......

post-6681-12606098220036_thumb.jpg

Archived