Parkside Dundas LNER Horsebox

22 hours ago, AJCT said:

Does anyone have any info on where the toilet door was from the groom's compartment - centred or to one side, and if so which ?

Alasdair

Unfortunately none of the LNER built ones survive but a B.R. built one of almost identical design exists at Ribble Steam Railway.  The toilet (an LMS bowl!) was removed when it was at Steamport and ISTR that the door was to one side.  If one was in the groom's compartment with one's back to the horse's compartment bulkhead the toilet door would be in the opposite right hand corner - at least that's how I remember it.

Edit: Just checked in Tatlow's Historic Carriage Dwgs v3 NPCS p81 where there is an interior plan view of an LNER D5 and the arrangement is as I recall.

Ray.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Marshall5 said:

Unfortunately none of the LNER built ones survive but a B.R. built one of almost identical design exists at Ribble Steam Railway.  The toilet (an LMS bowl!) was removed when it was at Steamport and ISTR that the door was to one side.  If one was in the groom's compartment with one's back to the horse's compartment bulkhead the toilet door would be in the opposite right hand corner - at least that's how I remember it.

Edit: Just checked in Tatlow's Historic Carriage Dwgs v3 NPCS p81 where there is an interior plan view of an LNER D5 and the arrangement is as I recall.

Ray.

Great, thanks very much for that - unfortunately I don't have the Tatlow book, but while searching the internet I did come across a pic of the interior of a BR Std horsebox as preserved at Shildon, and that appeared to be the same configuration as you described.  But it doesn't do to assume that they were all like that !

Cheers -

Alasdair

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my essentially-completed horsebox with its opaque white toilet window.  I "glazed" this with a piece of white 20thou plasticard fitted into the rebate from behind, leaving a gap of 2mm at the top.  The vent is represented by a 2.5mm deep piece of white 30thou plasticard stuck in so it's flush at the top and projects out at the bottom.  Reference to photographs shows the edges of the "frame" are quite narrow (which is why I didn't like the one in the kit) and I achieved this by scribing lines to mark out the edges and painting them maroon with a very fine brush and a very steady hand... not one of my better efforts, perhaps, but you get the idea.

Alasdair

LNER HB Dia.5.jpg

Edited by AJCT
  • Like 8

On 14/01/2011 at 13:07, cctransuk said:

I will very shortly be adding this to my Parkside-dedicated transfer Sheet S1, and transfers for this horsebox are also on my transfer Sheet C64 - see http://www.cctrans.freeserve.co.uk/products.htm .

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers

Has anyone seen any LNER decals for the Parkside D5?

8 hours ago, EHertsGER said:

Has anyone seen any LNER decals for the Parkside D5?

I don't know about the situation since the Peco takeover but Parkside used to include transfers for both the B.R and LNER periods in the kit.

Ray.