dean forest railway

pacer lover

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Rob,

Thanks for the photos of the XP64 coaches, it was more just of interest to see how they're getting on. It's a shame that none of the preserved examples are currently in service, I believe the NYMR's pair is in a similar state. Is it possible to organise getting access to the pair at the DFR to take some measurements?

All the best,

Steve

Steve, im sure something can be arranged in the near future it would have to be on a weekend preferably a Saturday as we are running on Sundays only! i am aware that access in to the xp64 are not allowed i believe due to asbestos, let me know of a rough date you would like and i forward this onto my old man.

cheers Keirran

hey keirran

welcome on here :) how r things ?

thanks for the facebook link :)

regard

rob

hey rob, i aint to bad just been busy restoring Don Corbett the little black 0-4-0 that looked an eye sore at norchard so progress is being made also the wickham trolley is having a face lift, us younger ones at the railway have united and after these projects are done we are starting on wagons believe it or not! dog fish will be our first victims then possibly a tanker then a couple of open wagons if u wanna come down and lend a hand your more than welcome many hands make light work!!

cheers Keirran

Thanks Rob, only just remembered that i'd posted in here! Good luck with the signalling work, sounds like there's some interesting times for the FoD ahead of us!

Hows work progressing on 5541 by the way?

Looking forward to a few more pic's in the future!

Best Wishes

Paul

Paul 5541 is comming along slowly the wheels and frames are back together awaiting transportation to Pete Waterman's places to the boiler can be put back on and tests so when it gets back to us all we will have to do is just bolt on the tanks ans so on then she will be back in service once again.

ta keirran

hey keirran

it good to here that Don Corbett and the wickham trolley are being done :) have seen the pics on facebook

cwl, i would love to help in doing up wagons :) i started to doing up a little rail tolley down the juntion inbween helpping out on other jobs .

i like the sound of doing a tanker wagon up , just a quick idea it could used a moveable water tank for the railway :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

im up the railway on the weekend helpping with P-way and S & T hopfully seen u then

rob :)

Rob, many thanks for the Wickham Trolley picture! Looks like they're doing a nice job on the restoration/repair.

Keirran, likewise many thanks for your updates, especially with regards to 5541!

Steve, im sure something can be arranged in the near future it would have to be on a weekend preferably a Saturday as we are running on Sundays only! i am aware that access in to the xp64 are not allowed i believe due to asbestos, let me know of a rough date you would like and i forward this onto my old man.

cheers Keirran

Pix, I can think of an ideal weekend! DFR, beer in the evening and then playing trains on the Sunday! Sounds like a grand jolly boy's outing! Looks like Craig will be joining us too unless he's stopping off at Matlock first! ;) :D B)

Best Wishes

Paul

paul just let me know of a date and i wil ltry to be around cheers Keirran

Rob, many thanks for the Wickham Trolley picture! Looks like they're doing a nice job on the restoration/repair.

Keirran, likewise many thanks for your updates, especially with regards to 5541!

Pix, I can think of an ideal weekend! DFR, beer in the evening and then playing trains on the Sunday! Sounds like a grand jolly boy's outing! Looks like Craig will be joining us too unless he's stopping off at Matlock first! ;) :D B)

Best Wishes

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

just though i add a few photos of the lasts going on at the railway. 5521 is leaveing the railway for bit and 'Sapper' is now there .

post-1639-0-68585800-1300730931_thumb.jpg

'Sapper'

post-1639-0-86529700-1300730618_thumb.jpg

the lorry 'Sapper' came in on

post-1639-0-27421700-1300731351_thumb.jpg

backing 5521 up

post-1639-0-64601000-1300731519_thumb.jpg

slowy does it

post-1639-0-06072700-1300731713_thumb.jpg

done :)

regards

rob

• 2 months later...

all-right chaps,

just to keep you informed we are now currently building whitecroft platform!!! witch means another station close to another pub!! and its 1 of my favourites!! :-) when i have a chance and not fireing! i will sling some pics up on here! but keep an eye on the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=122634064424125 i should hopefully be starting on some wagons in the next couple of months! hope things are all good with you chaps!

take it easy

Keirran

• 2 weeks later...

hi all

just though i would add a photo of the now working singal, to compare with the frist photos i put up. :)

post-1639-0-18970800-1307042649_thumb.jpg

as Keirran said early, whitcoft station is been build at the mo, hopefully opening in the autumn

photo of the new station platform

post-1639-0-59919300-1307043080_thumb.jpg

also just to let u all know this weekend is a Thomas weekend, its just not on model railways that thomas runs :)

regards

rob

plus i had a good hit on D9555 just awaiting a crane driver to lift the exhauster and heat exchanger back on and then we are close to starting the beast once again when we do i will get a video of all the lovely clag that comes from it!!

plus i had a good hit on D9555 just awaiting a crane driver to lift the exhauster and heat exchanger back on and then we are close to starting the beast once again when we do i will get a video of all the lovely clag that comes from it!!

Talking of the 14s I put an initial list of drawings that are held in the NRM for them here:

http://petebriddon.railnuts.com/2011/04/25/of-a-long-weekend-1/#comments

Some of the guys at Peak Rail were interested for engine possibilities to fit to D9500.

Let us know what wagon you decide to start with and i'll see if I can find you the livery info.. There were some lovely items down those sidings :).

Sounds like Paul wants to spend the night in the wagon too if he's off on a beer crawl through the forest ;) :P.

Hope you don't mind me asking any news on the Taff vale tank am interested in it because of the Lambton railway connection and havent heard anything on it for quite a while Ithink work started on it the stopped again? cheers-Simon

Hope you don't mind me asking any news on the Taff vale tank am interested in it because of the Lambton railway connection and havent heard anything on it for quite a while Ithink work started on it the stopped again? cheers-Simon

Simon, i believe it has gone to the llangothlen railway for restoration ( i think not 100% sure) but when it done we get so many steamings a year

cheers Keirran

• 3 weeks later...

hi all

just though i post that this come weekend is a gala weekend at the dfr :)

there will be 3 trains runing including the auto tank and a goods train plus some double head.

for the goods train this year there are some different wagons being used including a tanker wagon.

pics to follow

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks - just to remind you that we've now started a Forest of Dean group area on RMWeb, which can be found here.

You've posted some brilliant shots on here, Rob and Kierran particularly, if you feel like posting on the new FoD forum as well sometime, that would be excellent!

hi all

just though i posted this , here a pic taked during the week of 5521 getting the goods train ready for today and tomo gala :)

post-1639-0-56656500-1309618006_thumb.jpg

sadly i cant be there today but im there tomo so will put up so pics then :) hope to get a good shot of the 1450 working with 2 auto coaches :)

hi Captain ta for starting the FoD group will post in there soon . the FoD is rich with railway history and pesent :)

regards

rob

• 2 weeks later...

I had a quick nose around Norchard on Saturday afternoon, principally to avoid arriving too early for tea with friends in Redwick near Magor (just down the road from the chemistry set where Stella Artois is made). Although it was safely out of harm's way I was able to admire from afar the newly redecorated auto trailer "Chaffinch". Then I saw two suitable cases for treatment - a vertically planked Siphon G and a GW C67 corridor second. Both look very careworn but neither is so far gone that there is no hope. Do any of our Dean Forest inmates know the identity of either of these vehicles, please?

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

hi chris

sorry for taking so long for a reply

not sure on the history of the Siphon G , will ask next time im there, however a quick look on Vintage Carriages Trustweb site which try to give status and history of coachs and wagons that are still around saids

its GWR 2790 'Siphon G' bogie gangwayed milk van built 1936 and onverted 1939 for CasEvac Train, and to Ambulance Train 33 in 1943. Generator Van for 1st WR Control Train in 1957-80.

if u are on about the GW coach by the toilet block, that is now the Society coach where members sleep if staying on site. as far as the history of it , i know that part of a 4 coach set used for telephone exchange train in the 50s n 60s , there more in the museum about it .

the Carriages Trustweb site said it is GWR 5863 Collett Full Corridor Third built 1934. In second WR Control Train, as part of emergency telephone exchange. P 1980, converted to volunteers' dormitory/mess in 1991.

another coach from the train is GWR 5813 Collett Full Corridor Third built 1934 which now used 9681 shop on platform 2 at Norchard. it history is Damaged by enemy action 1941 and rebuilt with new body for Control Train use - one of the four making up telephone exchange. P 1980, sold to Forest Pannier Tank Fund c. 1985. Interior now contains office and shop accommodation.

also in the train was

GWR 5848 Collett Full Corridor Third built in 1934 which now down the Lydney Junction i think.

also i thnk there was 4 coach in the train but not sure what happen to it will try and find out

if any of this wrong sure someone put me rigth ,

hope this helps

Archived