dean forest railway

pacer lover

Thank you very much for the research, Rob! I was curious about the Siphon because I am working [very slowly!] on an upgrade of a Lima one. Yes I did mean the corridor second by the toilet block - so that's the Norchard Hilton.

A word of warning to any volunteer sleeping in a compartment - be very careful that your small change does not go down between the seat back and the cushion that you sit/lie on! I was significantly poorer after a night at Mangapps ...

Chris

i stay in that awful coach a fair bit, we have taken out all the seating and made up several bunk beds, there are 6 rooms in total not the nicest place to sleep but hey after a day on the engine and a few beers you dont care where you put your head down!

cheers Keirran

Thank you very much for the research, Rob! I was curious about the Siphon because I am working [very slowly!] on an upgrade of a Lima one. Yes I did mean the corridor second by the toilet block - so that's the Norchard Hilton.

Chris

If you ever feel like upgrading a full-size one, I know where there's one that needs a lot of work doing on it!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hi all

frist of all, just like to post a photo of how the new station building at whitecroft is coming along :) its near there but i think its due to open early next year at the mo

post-1639-0-26466300-1316531406_thumb.jpg

secondly this coming weekend is a 1940s weekend at the DFR, all are welcome, should be fun :) will hopefully get some photos for you all .

thirdly also this weekend i hear it is the lydney and dean forest model club model show at Whitecross School, Church Road, Lydney,

as its not far from the DFR i been taking a look :)

regards

rob :)

Wow!! that Station building looks to be a very close replica of the original - even to the 'angled' chimney! And it looks to be right on the original spot, too!! Also the fencing is just as it used to be. Now that's attention to detail! Given a bit of time it'll seem as if the station was never closed or demolished at all!! Thanks for posting the picture!

It looks like the foreground track is still in place (there's been a point there for years) are there plans to restore the loop & sidings at all, or just leave Whitecroft as a single line for the foreseeable future?

hi F-Unitmad

it no problem in posting the photo, it is hard to think that the station close there in 1929 , that long time between trains lol

yes there is track in the foreground which has a connection to the main line at the nochard end , it used as a siding for works trains at the mo . think there is a long team plan to restore the loop, the second platform and a signal box there :)

regards

... it is hard to think that the station close there in 1929 , that long time between trains...

Yes, IIRC, when Parkend re-opened, they offered free travel to anyone with an un-used return ticket from 1929 or before. ;D

I don't think there were any takers? 75 or more years is a heck of a wait for the next train..... :O

• 1 month later...

hey all

it been a busy week at the DFR the S&T team have been hard at work with some new signals between Whitecroft and Parkend, a up fixed distant for whitecroft , a outer down home for Parkend and

a new Parkend Down Starting (see below ) sadly it's not working for time being.

post-1639-0-94388800-1319912671_thumb.jpg

I must admit that S&T baffles me - the shear amount of signals required for a small branchline is incredible!

I don't suppose being a fan of US outline helps, as US practices regarding train control tended to be rather simpler, designed as they were to cover greater distances, of course, with less frequent trains.

It does make UK S&T a fascinating subject though, and can often show up a distinct lack of signalling on model layouts (my own included!!)

GWR LQ on lattice post? Not unknown, but certainly rare/unusual. Was its predecsssor loke that, or else any particualr reason for choosing that form?

Some pure speculation: maybe they are trying to evoke a suitably "joint line" feeling? Parkend already has what I assume is a Midland LQ - see Parkend, Dean Forest Railway and Lydney Junction signalbox is a BR (LMR) one. A possibly more likely answer, though, is "it's what they had available".

hi all

it is great westen lattice post, a very rare things (just 2 left i think ) it been place at parkend to show it off then been hided in the forest as lot of hard work as gone in to it . as forestpine said it was a joint line so can have mix of both westesn and midland along it.

regards

• 3 weeks later...

Chaps,

The idea behind Parkend is to have a selection of signals to create different photo chances, also the railway has got all different types of signal going!! a bit of variety never hurt anybody, plus it may seem we have a lot in now but we are planning for the future, also with the signals means we can have a more intense gala time table and so on!! we still have Whitecroft to do yet. Lydney town signal box is going in at some point when the funds become available.

a quick question for those wagon lovers and people who know what we have got at the DFR, im taking it upon my self and a few others to start the long process of restoring wagons, just out of interest what would you like to see done up and use in a demonstration goods train on a gala?? i have so much to choose from i just get confused, and if you dont know what at the DFR i suggest you come down and take a look at whats on offer, never know you may want to give me a hand doing wagons up!!

Cheers Keirran

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hi all

just a quick update

yestday whitecroft station had it a offical opening

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rshire-18203477

more photos on the railway facebook page

http://www.facebook....anforestrailway

it not open to public as yet as waiting on paper work but will be soon

also over the winter there have been track relaying , wilbert is now back in runing , the dmu center car is nealy ready plus lots of other works

post-1639-0-20055600-1338021657_thumb.png

here a good u tube video of a Great Western Branch line Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8nLbQ-eTNM&feature=share

hope you all like

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi

I am a member of the GWR 813 Fund and have recently re vamped the Fund's website.

We have two wagons based on the DFR:

GWR 806460 ballast wagon

GWR 60828 bogie bolster wagon.

We also own GWR 2988 Siphon.

We do not have any recent photos of this stock.Would it be possible for you to supply us with a photo of the above?

We will credit you on the website which should be live with in the next two weeks

Many Thanks

Nick Baxter

Archived