dean forest railway

pacer lover

hi all

last summer i join the dean forest railway as memeber, so have take up some of my free time away from modeling.

i have join and help out the p- way and s&t groups on the railway and have take a number of photos as we go about the work. hope u enjoy.

the frist 3 are of the s&t team putting up some new singals last autumn. ( the line was under possession )

post-1639-0-43855000-1295460442_thumb.jpg

the posts

post-1639-0-81894300-1295460458_thumb.jpg

a singal kit 1:1 scale

post-1639-0-24759900-1295460482_thumb.jpg

up at last :)

here is one of the yard at norchard , as u can see a lot of stock there

post-1639-0-22991700-1295460534_thumb.jpg

this week the railway is having rail grinder in to work on the track , i hope to get some photos of it soon.

will hopefully keep u all update with what going on railway

the railway have alot to do and is allway on the look out for new members

the dean forest railway website is http://www.deanforestrailway.co.uk/

regards

rob :)

hey all

went up the railway today to help out but mostly ended take photo of the stock and the rail grinder

here a few pics

post-1639-0-89531300-1295551372_thumb.jpg

here the grinder at work ( maybe oneday someone do a model of on tho these )

after went down lydney ,here a photo of the yard as the fog rolling from the river seven

post-1639-0-02858900-1295551647_thumb.jpg

as u can see the railway has a lot of stock on it that it cant alway run just layouts ;)

i have more photo of the stock is anyone would like to look just ask

regard

Excellent pic's Rob, thanks for sharing!

A few questions and a requst though......

What is the plan regarding signalling? I assume it's to enable 2 train operation? Looks like that new signal is being sited near Tufts Junction. Any ideas what the plans are for this location and Whitecroft?

And for the request............do you have any pic's of Wickham Trolley's by any chance? I believe the forest has a few?

Many thanks!

Paul

Nice photos Rob!

Is there any chance of some snaps of the XP64 coaches that the DFR has hidden away? I think they're hidden down at Lydney in the storage area, looking rather unloved. There's serious Pixie points at stake if you can. ;)

Pix

hi paul (Kempenfi) & Pixi

paul yup the singals are to help with 2 train operation tho they are not work yet. they are stop singals for norchard high level. not sure what the plan is for tufts that to keep the line runing , as for Whitecroft the plan is for a station with a passing loop in time.

there are few Wickham Trolley's there and u rigth the forest has had one or two lol if we keep try cut it bk we may even find a loco or two in it lol ;)

i did have a pic of one but cant find it now :( will take more when next up there

pixil yep the XP64 coaches are there rigth down the end of the yard, will try get some pics next time im down there for u

regard

rob

Thanks Rob, only just remembered that i'd posted in here! Good luck with the signalling work, sounds like there's some interesting times for the FoD ahead of us!

Hows work progressing on 5541 by the way?

Looking forward to a few more pic's in the future!

Best Wishes

Paul

Hi guys-R.E two train running,had a fine day out back last summer when City of Truro was visiting-The form seemed to be :-train A deps Lydney,once that is clear of Norchard, train B deps Lydney to Norchard and is held until train A is locked into Parkend,then follows it up.

Engines then swapped trains at P/end and worked the same system back down.

It was a delightfully surreal experience to be sat in an immaculate Auto-trailer coupled behind a 31 in full EWS panoply-but nothing to match the City at a crisp bark through the curves above Norchard....

Lovely day out

Lovely line

Lovely people...Wish them all the best

Regards

Nick

hey guys

5541 is coming along ok as fare as i know , the wheel are on and it been shunted around the yard, think the boiler is way being done but will check next time im there. a small thing call work stop me get as much as i like lol

Nick yep that how 2 train operation at the mo , the new singals will help with this.

here a pic of City of Truro at the railway

post-1639-0-14307400-1295976610_thumb.jpg

regard

rob

hi all again

just though i best explan what going on in the photo of City of Truro (CoT).

having arrive at Parkend CoT wasnt aloud to run around over teh crossing at northen end of the line. so to let CoT to get to the other end of it train , 'charlle' ( the class 08 at dfr ) was station pliot there . CoT was uncouple from the train , charlle would coupled up at shunt the train down the line so that CoT could cross over to the other line at the points by the singal . once CoT was on the other line charller would bring the train back to where it was as CoT takes on water. then charlle would uncouple, run down the line abit then points was change and Cot would run down behide charlle to clear the points then back on to the train. Charlle would run in to the other line to clear the line so CoT can depart down the line with the train.

must have took a few goes in planing before they try it lol

all this happened once the second train had left Parkend . here a pic of it leaveing as charlle couples up to CoT train

post-1639-0-88978500-1295978884_thumb.jpg

regards

Nice to have some updates from one of my favourite Railway lines... :)

What was stopping City of Truro from using the whole of the loop at Parkend? It can't be loading gauge issues surely? Beyond the Yorkley Road crossing there's nothing there? When they had a Manor at Parkend for the Royal Visit/Opening ceremony there wasn't a problem like this with the Loco?

Still, it makes for some interesting shunting moves, I suppose!!! :D

Just one minor thing, pacer lover; you couldn't try and type in plain English, could you, instead of slipping into "text speak"?? It's a bit easier to read... cheers ;)

• RMweb Gold

hey all

went up the railway today to help out but mostly ended take photo of the stock and the rail grinder

here the grinder at work ( maybe oneday someone do a model of on tho these )

Ah, our lovely new EU spec Grinder, note it does not say Network Rail on the sides, it's ours I tell you all ours! Now, who's that doing a merry jig in front of the machine .....

As soon as the powers that be agree to release some drawings a well known producer of etched lovliness will be producing a kit (in OO) :D

Nice to have some updates from one of my favourite Railway lines... :)

What was stopping City of Truro from using the whole of the loop at Parkend? It can't be loading gauge issues surely? Beyond the Yorkley Road crossing there's nothing there? When they had a Manor at Parkend for the Royal Visit/Opening ceremony there wasn't a problem like this with the Loco?

Still, it makes for some interesting shunting moves, I suppose!!! :D

When my Dad last visited the line they did have to release the Manor as it couldn't run around itself. I'd assumed it was due to the radii at that end of the loop but maybe its an operations thing and they got dispensation for the Royal visit? Not sure.

hey all

F-Unitmad,i not sure of the exact reason why City of Truro was not run a round by using the point past the crossing however i do know that the railway had a list of things they was not aloud to do with City of Truro when it was at the railway. if i remember some of it was to due with loading gauge but also the tigthness of the curves. will find out more if u like ?

also sorry for going in to text speak will try not to, tho my plan english is no so good too as im have dyslexia.

sadly i was not there for royal vist but would love to see a manor up there again :) i will try and find out for u all about what happen then, mostly the same in shunting.

Redgatemodel, was it u in front of it ? did u enjoy your time at the dfr?

a small up date

the class 421 at the railway is be repainted in to BR green , hope to show u all photos when it done

regard

• RMweb Gold

Redgatemodel, was it u in front of it ? did u enjoy your time at the dfr?

sadly not, I only found out EU1 was at the DFR yesterday. Think it's our esteemed grinder expert from Scotland appropriatly doing maybe the highland fling in the pic :D :D

also sorry for going in to text speak will try not to, tho my plan english is no so good too as im have dyslexia.

Hey no worries; I didn't mean to make a big thing of it. ;)

I know the Manor was the biggest Steam loco they've had on the line; it must be curve radius that's the issue as there's only the platforms at Parkend that would affect the Loading Gauge?, and I assume that both Bradley Manor and City of Truro were able to put their coaches next to the platform!!!

• 2 weeks later...

hi all

i got the time on sudnay to get back up to the railway, to help down at Lydney Junction. work on the s&t compound is going well and we have a few more singal posts in there ready to be worked on :)

sorry Kempenfi i didnt get chance to go up to Norchard to where the Wickham Trolley's are , will try get some photos for u next time.

F-UnitMad no worry about it and yep Bradley Manor and City of Truro did get their coaches next to the platform at parkend :)there are curve radius issue with the line which means some loco types cant used the line :(

RedgateModels hope he enjoy his time there :)as far i know the grinder is stay is the railway untill it next contract, so mite u down at some point ?

pixil here is a photo of XP64 coaches , not sure what u wanted, i got more thou if u wanted them.

Sadly the coaches are very bad way, the years in open , the plant life and Vandalism had left there mark on them :(

we try our best but it seem a losing battle with plant life down that end of the yard :(

post-1639-0-43121200-1297091649_thumb.jpg

now some good news :)

here the photo show that the painting of the class 421 in to green going well

post-1639-0-51802700-1297091849_thumb.jpg

regards

• RMweb Gold

RedgateModels hope he enjoy his time there :)as far i know the grinder is stay is the railway untill it next contract, so mite u down at some point ?

Maybe, I do have to do a couple of unannounced inspections, so if it's still there when I decide to see it ..

Hey,

im Keirran a current executive committee member and fireman at the Dean Forest railway this is my first post and just like to say hello! To those of you that face facebook please type in dean forest railway society and feel free to look around there plenty of pictures of the railway and feel free to upload your own.

Cheers Keirran

RedgateModels hope he enjoy his time there :)as far i know the grinder is stay is the railway untill it next contract

I assumed Grinders would be in constant use in the way the National Tamping contract works with OTM it covers - is this not the case?

Hey Rob,

Thanks for the photos of the XP64 coaches, it was more just of interest to see how they're getting on. It's a shame that none of the preserved examples are currently in service, I believe the NYMR's pair is in a similar state. Is it possible to organise getting access to the pair at the DFR to take some measurements?

All the best,

Steve

Archived