Horseley Fields - N Gauge layout (was Dibben Junction)

Revolution Ben

Hi Ben, impressive as always. I'm curious about the operation of the layout - how many trains does the storage yard hold? I take it you store up a couple of trains in each line, then isolate once the lead one has left and so on in a shunting storage approach ?

Wondering how many different trains the punters get to see at a show.

David

Hi David

On the mainline, we can have upto 10 trains in the clockwise direction and 9 in the anti-clockwise direction, plus a couple of DMUs on the branch line.

Today at the March show, we generally kept the same stock running all day. At a two day show we might cahnage things around on the 2nd day, especially if we have different operators each day.

Hope that helps

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Hi David

In each direction we can run around 10 trains, plus there are two trains used for deliveries and shunting in the steel yard.

The outer loops (towards "Wolverhampton") can hold the longest trains.  We use DC with a switching system designed by John.  Once the points are set according to a switch matrix, flicking a switch one way sends the train out onto the scenic area; flicking the switch the other way then advances the next train forward and ready to be despatched, at the same time clearing the return part of the siding for the train that is in operation.

Because of siding lengths, the inner loops tend to have shorter DMUs or EMUs, while the outer loops have the longer freights and express passenger trains.

The only problems we have with this system are that some of the newer units (eg Farish Desiro) have the power vehicle in the second car, so the lead car tends to advance into the next section.  But with careful positioning of stock can overcome this easily enough.

cheers

Ben A.

Two new models: The rather nice Dapol Class 86901 and 902 pair in Network rail livery. What are these locos used for? Also, they haven't yet been weathered, and "brows" need to be fitted to the windscreens of 86901. What are these for?

attachicon.gif http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=core&module=attach§ion=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=254654]IMG_1847.JPG[/url]

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

I believe they are class 86 'Loadbank' locos. They were a replacement for the old 84 loadbank loco (or 82 I can't remember of the top off my head)

I think they are used for stuff to do with overhead line but I'm not sure...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37190-dalzell/8389558992/

EDIT: Just found a link of what they are on the Internet

http://www.traintesting.com/Loadbank.htm

Thanks

Hello Ben,

the modern industrial building at the back, is it kit or scratchbuild?

yours

Markus

Hallo Markus

As you will note my name is not Ben... but if you mean the steel warehouse, in answer to your question it was

scratchbuilt,..if you care to go to the first few postings on this thread you will be able to read all about it  ( Page 1 )

See also page 4,     item  #92

Cheers

John

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Thanks for the information about the NR Class 86s.  I guess on our layout they will be moving in a pair from one location to another, and not hauling any other test vehicles.  They still look very nice though!

cheers

Ben A.

• 1 month later...

Hello All

........ We  got back from Melksham yesterday at 20.45 after a very successful 2 day exhibition organized by the Bentley M

R Group who I would like to thank for their hospitality and very friendly and warm welcome they offered their Exhibitors We

were also loaned a couple of Shifters to help with, well ! the Shifting !   (The Dinner Party didn't go down too bad either !)

I would also like say a  special thank you to Chairman Neal who,due to the fact that we were short handed on the Sunday,

helped us  to  keep  the trains running for most of the day.    Apart from loosing one coupling spring and two points which 

seemed reluctant to pass the current on, in the fiddle yard everything worked a treat and  a good time was had by all.

Cheers

John

• RMweb Gold

Hello All

........ We  got back from Melksham yesterday at 20.45 after a very successful 2 day exhibition organized by the Bentley M

R Group who I would like to thank for their hospitality and very friendly and warm welcome they offered their Exhibitors We

were also loaned a couple of Shifters to help with, well ! the Shifting !   (The Dinner Party didn't go down too bad either !)

I would also like say a  special thank you to Chairman Neil who,due to the fact that we were short handed on the Sunday,

helped us  to  keep  the trains running for most of the day.    Apart from loosing one coupling spring and two points which 

seemed reluctant to pass the current on, in the fiddle yard everything worked a treat and  a good time was had by all.

Cheers

John

John

Glad it all went well. We have done the Trainwest show a number of times and its a good one to attend. Unfortunately we had another show on so couldnt come this year but will be back there in future years.

How did your coupling conversions perform?

Ian

Hello All

I would also like say a  special thank you to Chairman Neil who,due to the fact that we were short handed on the Sunday,

Cheers

John

John & Pete,

It was my pleasure to help out. I had a great day Sunday operating this layout and it gave us an idea of how to use call-on switches in the fiddle yard for our new 20' N Gauge layout Matworth,http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12681.0  which we have acquired.

I join the rest of these comments in saying, it is a great layout and I wouldn't hesitate to jump at the chance to operate it again if required.

Regards

Neal

Hi Ian

.........Yes very nice people down that part of the world.

We do not have any coupling conversions as such on HF because most of the shunting stock is quite new and has factory

fitted NEM compatable sockets, I lost a spring yesterday but otherwise the uncoupling works to perfection. The conversions

I did as posted on your thread are all on my own stay at home layout and they all work very well.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/68401-modifying-stock-to-take-Dapol-easy-shunt-magnetic-couplings/

Hi Satan's Goldfish

Thank you for your very kind words,your layout is not so dusty either,I managed to get a quick look on Saturday and was

very impressed by your container handling operations...looks just like the real thing.   All we have in that line is a Gantry 

Crane that just about manages a bit of lateral movement.  I didn't realize at the time that fellow East Anglians were present,

That was quite a trip from Norwich !  I don't know how you fared but Nick and I managed to get packed up and on the road

inside ¾ hour,of course we had as mentioned a bit of shifting help  but I did  think  we  would  have trouble getting the van

near the doors...yeah! very good weekend.

Neal...so sorry about the misspelling,thank's for posting.

Cheers

John

The Seagulls definately liked using some of the vans for target practice!

Fortunately i'm living the Swindon side of Oxford at the moment so it wasn't too far for me to travel. The rest of the guys however had a good slog over from Essex and Kent! Very worth it for a fantastic show like that though. Set up and take down is quite quick now, everyone knows the order and how it all goes together in the trolleys, I wasn't there until the very end of the take down but 30 min is normally about right.

Until the next show......

• RMweb Gold

The Seagulls definately liked using some of the vans for target practice!

Fortunately i'm living the Swindon side of Oxford at the moment so it wasn't too far for me to travel. The rest of the guys however had a good slog over from Essex and Kent! Very worth it for a fantastic show like that though. Set up and take down is quite quick now, everyone knows the order and how it all goes together in the trolleys, I wasn't there until the very end of the take down but 30 min is normally about right.

Until the next show......

Where is your next show?

ian

Neal...so sorry about the misspelling,thank's for posting.

Cheers

John

John,

That's not a problem, not as much as me getting Nicks name completely wrong in my post :blush:  :blush:

Please apologise to him for me.

Cheers

Neal.

John,

That's not a problem, not as much as me getting Nicks name completely wrong in my post :blush:  :blush:

Please apologise to him for me.

Cheers

Neal.

Neal.......He will no doubt see it for himself sooner or later....,there appears to be a lot of

it about today cos even Ben is at it now  !..:-D

Cheers

John

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

What an impressive layout.

I pass Wolves Steel Terminal daily on my way to work and its amazing how you've managed to capture the feel of the place...

I've noticed from various photos that a number of your Class 66s have been enhanced by the TPM detailing kits. I'm keen to do the same for a handful of my Farish 66s and wonder if you know where I can get my hands on some. They seem to be a bit thin on the ground these days.

Regards

John

• RMweb Gold

Hello John,

TPM is in a bit of a hiatus at the moment due to Bernard Taylor moving house.  I am not sure when the products will become available again - an email to him may provide an answer.  There are several suppliers of TPM products including BH Enterprises, N-tastic/County Rolling Stock,  Lytchett Manor models and of course the N Gauge Society shop.  All worth a try, I would suggest.

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks for coming back Ben.

Yes, they're all stockists I've tried. I just wondered if there were any I'd missed. I'll see if Bernard has some hidden away if and when he reopens. Otherwise one or two might pop up at a show - you never know.

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I received a samply Branor Systems HD N CamTruck to try out and review for Model Rail magazine.

At one of our regular group meetings yesterday, we decided to give it a run out on Horseley Fields.  The original footage is HD quality, and can be edited using Windows Movie Maker, which was pre-installed on my PC and I hadn't even realised!

I have compressed the file to below 2MB to upload it; the original is much larger and far higher quality.

Horseley Fields 20-05-13 compressed.wmv

The video seems to be an attachment, I don't know about uploading footage so I am not sure why this is.  Nonetheless, I assume it can be opened!

The sample wagon is to be returned, it we can manage another filming session we'll try to choreograph with additional trains and travelling down other lines...

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

That's brilliant! Really clear picture and gives a very realistic driver's-eye view. Shows off the attention to detail on the layout to good effect IMO...

One to consider if the price is right...!

As an aside, you can feel the g-force going round those curves into the fiddle yard; the loco crews must have F1 training... ;)

Great stuff

David

Archived