Horseley Fields - N Gauge layout (was Dibben Junction)

Revolution Ben

I love those mesh sides for the OBAs Ben, definitely something I'd get a few of if they were available. They are becoming reasonably common on engineering trains these days. The mesh side OAAs would be good too, but I'm not sure how well the Farish OAA stands up alongside the newer OBA.

jo

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jo,

TBH I did rather dismiss the OAA but I think I may have one somewhere tucked away so I will have another look and see if it's worth considering.  Checking a couple of photos it will mean new etches because the OAAs have three doors not four.

cheers

Ben A.

I feel these kind of aftermarket detailing/conversion items are actually a godsend to the older stock as the parts that are lacking with the models as they come can be somewhat improved by fitting the new parts.

As for doing the etches, its only about £20 at PPD for the set up costs of a photoetch tool and then its just material costs for each etch made after that. Ben, how are you getting your drawings for the tools done? Are you doing them yourself? I do mine using AutoCAD.

That would include the set up cost though. If you ordered the same etch again it would be at material cost. I had a set of window frames for a building in brass and a set of hst window frames for 7 coaches in stainless done last month and got both etches in a single batch for £56 with delivery. However he said any reorders of either etch now would be £10 each plus vat.

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

There are 3 OBA frames on the existing photo tool. There were some other items too which I will test in due course. It may be that between them it does make sense to produce another etch, but if I was only doing the OBA, and given that the mesh is an additional etch item, we'd be looking at around £8 per set, which is probably too much for the market....

Cheers

Ben A.

Maybe so. Those etches are very small though so Im sure the unit price can be made low enough, of course there would have to be enough demand to warrant a large quantity to be made. Always an issue with items like this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Morning all,

We're up and running at the DEMU showcase. Some glitches - especially with couplers , making us wonder if we're on a slope! - but things looking ok now.

One new train is an MoD rake comprising Farish VGAs, 3D printed KFAs by Vonzack carrying PGModels/C-Rail containers and NGS warwells with PG models armoured vehicles.

post-420-0-61424900-1401526281_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-05344700-1401526300_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-26373800-1401526319_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-96484900-1401526351_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-31294700-1401526376_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hello again,

A couple of other new arrivals...

IHA covered steel carriers. These are the 1:160 scale models by Modelbahnunion repainted, fitted with ATM 1:148 bogies and etched end platforms. They are a bit if a compromise but because they represent a larger continental prototype they scale out about right for us.

post-420-0-38712900-1401539946_thumb.jpg

Also I've fitted Thrall bogies from a Farish HTA hopper to a BAA as has been done to some, more for a bit of variety than anything else...

post-420-0-86000100-1401540129_thumb.jpg

And a couple of Oxford Diecast Network Rail vans - I've fitted a roof rack and ladder to one just to make it a little different...

post-420-0-05230600-1401540254_thumb.jpg

I'll try to post a couple more shots later. We've been have some problems with couplers and suspect the floor isn't quite level!!

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Matt,

I found the only way to get the mesh fine enough was to have it photo etched to my own design by PPD, in 2 thou stainless. The outer frames are similarly etched in 10 thou.

In a way it's kind of cheating - designing my own details, rather than just scratch building - but sometimes I've found that's the best way to the desired result.

Now I've proved the concept if there's interest I don't mind making the etches available to others, though I have no idea how much they'd be - probably quite expensive in such small quantities I'm afraid!

Cheers

Ben

Hi Ben

Does this mean that the mesh sections run the entire length of the wagon, sort of like this (where black = metal) and the frames are overlaid onto the solid bits?

post-263-0-50019800-1401541423.gif

I've been thinking about this as a way of using some of my old Farish freightliner wagons, turning them into module carriers (although they'd still be a bit of a fudge, on account of being too wide).

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jim,

Yes, that's pretty much it. The frames are etched in 5 thou brass with a complete chequer plate floor, and the mesh in 2 thou stainless panels. The mesh glues to the back of the frames while it's all flat (I used Klear) and then is sprayed, then the sides are folded up through 90 degrees and the whole thing is stuck to the wagon..

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nigel,

The roof rack is another etch experiment. It's one of the other items that was on the etch with the OBA frames. The IHA end platforms were on the same sheet.

As Ian spotted, the etch also includes roof vents, spotlights and wing mirrors.

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Saw the layout at DEMU 2014 yesterday and was really impressed with the layout and it's operation. Thank you

Here are two videos I took of the layout. I'll post some pics later once I've had chance to edit them to upload to RMWeb.

Hi Westie,

I'm not sure if you're planning to visit the DEMU showcase but N-train is there with stocks of ATM bogies.

Cheers

Ben A.

Thanks Ben,

But unfortunately work has me firmly welded north of Aberdeen for the next god knows how long

Will check out his ebay

Rgds

Mark

Just a quick thank you to all those who came to DEMU and said hello!!

It was a very enjoyable weekend with some super layouts and very knowledgeable people. Has also given myself and Ben a headache now, as for the first time ever we were asked how Bens beautifully etched Network Rail van would drive to where it was.....so next time you see us out, watch out for a new crossing and gate to ensure no more red faces ;)

Paul.

Stopped by and chatted whilst at DEMU today. Two of you were very friendly and informative (sorry names now escape me  :blush: ). Very impressed with the layout in the flesh. Love the weathering and the water especially in the far left corner, and seriously impressed by a whole host of little details. Thought the printed off platform tops looked as though someone had spent days if not weeks doing them. Lovel little details which made the layout well worth a good long hard look at. Took some photos to have a good look at later :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jaz,

It was nice to meet you too - I know who you are as you mentioned Arboretum Valley!  It was Roger at the end who (I think) explained how the plaforms were done - we used Scalescenes printed sheets for these; Scalescenes have also been used for the viaduct walls and on some of the other structures.

Thanks for your kind words about the layout - it's always nice to hear that someone enjoyed looking at it! If there's anything else you're curious about - or anything in the photos of interest - feel free to ask and I am sure one of us will try to answer!

cheers

Ben A.

Archived