Tim's painting and weathering workbench

Thanks to the institution that is this forum, I've been able to learn a few more techniques on the art of weathering. There's still a lot to learn mind, so I've decided to put up a handful here to see what else can be done to them, just in case I've missed anything!

First up is one of Mold Junction's finest - 44800. This loco was delivered new to 6B and only left when the shed closed in 1966. This one is the first of my heavily modified Hornby models to get finished off, save for a few final tweaks here and there. It's probably not so easy to tell much from the pics due to the lighting, but if it's decent enough weather over the next day or two, I'll see what the big light in the sky can do.

post-6712-0-19328300-1298948247_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-23278500-1298948278_thumb.jpg

I've discovered what I think is a nice little way of getting that metallic look on the (new) cylinder valve covers. A mix of Humbrol Metalcote dull aluminium and gunmetal with some matt leather thrown in for good measure as required. The water streaks were acrylic white dragged down with a cotton bud. Tricky to get right due to how quickly the paint dries once on the model.

The other one that's finished now is one of my Fairburn 2-6-4Ts. Chester shed had almost a dozen of these at one point, so I felt it worth my while getting the first of my three finished off. As with all my stock, both of these are EM gauge. The same techniques described above were used.

post-6712-0-46336800-1298948134_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-91773900-1298948219_thumb.jpg

More to come once I've got round to finishing off another Black 5 and then an 8F. The latter is destined to be pretty filthy, as per a photograph taken by a friend of mine during the period modelled (summer 1961).

I'll try to give more detail as to what I've done on these (and others) if anyone wishes to know more. However, any thoughts on what I may have missed on these or not? smile.gif

Cheers,

Edited by Tim
  • Like 18

-8<----

More to come once I've got round to finishing off another Black 5 and then an 8F. The latter is destined to be pretty filthy, as per a photograph taken by a friend of mine during the period modelled (summer 1961).

I'll try to give more detail as to what I've done on these (and others) if anyone wishes to know more. However, any thoughts on what I may have missed on these or not? :)

Cheers,

Hi Tim

some great looking weathering. Looking forward to seeing your 8F.

Yes I'd be interested in more detail to the modifications you made

Regards

Tim, both locos are looking nice and well-used… the thinned edges of the Black 5's tender looking particularly effective ;) and I'm very much looking forward to seeing the 'pretty filthy' 8F. What mods did you do to the Fairburn?

Guest LNER Tom

What a difference a proper photograph makes to a web cam :lol: I can very much see the details that were not showing up to clear last night!

That metalcote, aluminium mix on the cylinder ends is something I'm certainly going to try!

Great Work Tim, both are looking the business :)

Hi Tim

some great looking weathering. Looking forward to seeing your 8F.

Yes I'd be interested in more detail to the modifications you made

Regards

Hi Chris,

The 8F used to look like this pic below, but I've since rewheeled it to EM and sorted out the tender emblem trouble I had.

post-6712-0-90256700-1300021262_thumb.jpg

This was taken about 6/7 years ago, so it was well in line for being given some extra detailing. The AWS battery box has been replaced since with a spare Bachmann one with additional detailing in that area.

Tim, both locos are looking nice and well-used… the thinned edges of the Black 5's tender looking particularly effective ;) and I'm very much looking forward to seeing the 'pretty filthy' 8F. What mods did you do to the Fairburn?

Thanks! The 8F above is going to be under way soonish. As for the Fairburn, the only mods to it have been a new smokebox door dart and a pair of front steps from the bits box. It's out of the box otherwise, wheelsets excepting. Refreshing to see a model that does pretty well from the word go. Does make life a bit easier for sure.

Incidentally, this loco wasn't quite so happy, having had a much earlier weathering "attempt" which wasn't altogether successful.

post-6712-0-08113000-1298989300_thumb.jpg

As you can see, it was a bit *too* dirty and the cleaning up on the bunker sides around the number hadn't been too clever either. There is a saviour in the form of Microsol, which removes the paint, but doesn't damage the original paintwork or lining, not to mention the HMRS numbers. Suffice it to say, I'm surprised it's not more widely known about insofar as to what it can also do. Being an ammyl-acetate, it does make sense, in a way!

To get the effect in the first post, a quick wash of mucky grey-ish brown was all it needed to make it look about right.

Cheers,

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tim, both locos are looking good, especially the Fairburn :) . Was interested in your use of cotton buds which seems to have done the job well. I now use Tamiya Weathering Master palettes which have a white shade, the applicator is like a makeup brush thingy-brush one end and sponge the other and gives a similar effect. The application of water lime stains is an area where I would also break out the artists watercolours (acrylic) and apply thinned white with a very finebrush. I have used this method for yellow rust streaks on my 08 shown in my post 'aerosols vs airbrush' below this post. Keep up the good work cheers Phil

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Phil. I must admit, I've tried the Tamiya palettes before and generally didn't get on with them.

One thing I do like using are Artists' Gouache.

http://www.rmweb.co....ime-for-a-beer/ shows the wagon I've worked on recently, which was a bit of a new discovery for me. I love this stuff..... cool.gif

I wasn;t sure about these at first but my first outing got me hooked (see my 9F on my 'aerosol vs airbrush' thread) they are very subtle and need to be be built up gradually. This was pre airbrush days and I now use Tamiya stuff for highlighting etc. I havn't tried artists gouache but looking at your van has got me thinking!

Cheers Phil.

I wasn;t sure about these at first but my first outing got me hooked (see my 9F on my 'aerosol vs airbrush' thread) they are very subtle and need to be be built up gradually. This was pre airbrush days and I now use Tamiya stuff for highlighting etc. I havn't tried artists gouache but looking at your van has got me thinking!

Cheers Phil.

They're just a bit good aren't they :). Depending on the subject, I use anything from wet/dry brushing to powders. The gouache is just another string to the bow IMHO. There's a "how to" elsewhere on both this forum and the previous version. A quick search should rootle them all out :)

Cheers,

Okay, as I said in my original post, I was hoping I'd get some sunlight to be able to get some shots taken outside. My wish happened today, so here goes....

Same subjects as previous, plus the addition of one of my two Britannias and my completed Caprotti 5MT conversion (also features here).

It's a little "picture heavy" but there's a lot that decent light can indeed do for models. laugh.gif

I think the boiler on this one could probably do with a bit more sootyness nearer the smokebox - doesn't seem to have been as effective as I thought....

post-6712-0-60346300-1299082880_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-27267300-1299082940_thumb.jpg

Couple of close-ups of the loco half, which might help for doing wheels.

post-6712-0-77726200-1299083049_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-49695400-1299083102_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty satisfied with how this one has come out now, given I've seen it at last in proper sunlight. Just needs a decoder and it's ready to go! cool.gif

post-6712-0-71708100-1299082692_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-25474500-1299082734_thumb.jpg

I think this one needs a bit more dulling down, particularly the tender frames. Still needs the valve gear giving my special mix of gunk.

post-6712-0-69558000-1299082521_thumb.jpg

This next one is 70017 Arrow. Now, its not been touched for a couple of years and there are a few things I'd like to change on it, not to mention get the other side finished off! I've worked from a Colour-Rail photograph, so I won't be able to upload the image here. For those that want to get a copy of it themselves, the reference is BRM1891. Dated April 1961, it shows a loco that would appear to have undergone a light overhaul, so the presence of an early BR emblem can be justified nicely. From what I can gather, this was taken when the loco was transferred to Willesden.

The running plate seems to have lost some of the original weathering due to handling.... dry.gif

post-6712-0-26316800-1299082437_thumb.jpg

Lastly (phew!), my Caprotti 5MT. I've got two more of these do deal with soon, so I'll see about documenting the progress in the Kitbuilding/Scratchbuilding area, time permitting of course!

post-6712-0-39696400-1299083729_thumb.jpg

Time to get on with a few more......

• Like 5

Guest LNER Tom

Tim, they really are a sight to behold!

Personally 45275 looks the business regardless of your mods you want to do...I know I'd be happy :)

The Brit, looks different than maybe what I would have expected, seen as it's based on a particular picture, I think I will have to have a gander at that ;) easy to forget weathering doesn't always look hoe one expects :lol:

Whats this gunk mix your mention that you make up for the valve gear?

Thumb Up from me ;)

• Like 1

Tim, they really are a sight to behold!

Personally 45275 looks the business regardless of your mods you want to do...I know I'd be happy :)

Ta! Still going to give it some more dustiness and see what goes. May end up using some MIG Europe Dust instead...... unsure.gif

The Brit, looks different than maybe what I would have expected, seen as it's based on a particular picture, I think I will have to have a gander at that ;) easy to forget weathering doesn't always look hoe one expects :lol:

Very true, though it's probably because it's the first green loco I've posted up laugh.gif. I'd like to see a shot taken during summer 1961 personally, though the one I mention above will do!

What's this gunk mix your mention that you make up for the valve gear?

This method here, snipped from above :)

A mix of Humbrol Metalcote dull aluminium and gunmetal with some matt leather thrown in for good measure as required.

My finishing touch for it is giving the then-polished motion a mucky wash with a satin instead of matt black as the active colour. Seems to work anyway!

Cheers,

42061 looks rather nice :) Actually looks like your hands would get dirty if you touched it!

Thanks James - they take 3-4 days to get to "touch dry" anyway! I think what it boils down to is having what looks like a "working loco" that just gets on with the job in hand. Each paintjob teaches me new things as the mix is rarely identical. :)

Cheers,

• Like 1

Each paintjob teaches me new things as the mix is rarely identical. :)

The key thing is consistency - use the same pallette throughout and even with variations here and there (which all add to it too!) eventhing will work in harmony, regardless of the exact methods used.

PS As per text, I hope you're now happy! ;)

I told you it was the dogs doodahs! ;)

Nice kettles, BTW B) B) B)

Thanks mate! Your showing me how to work properly with the gouache last year helped immensely. cool.gif

I'm wondering whether the white gouache would work better for water staining..... Thoughts?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tim just avin a gander at your sunshine pics, all good but I still like the Fairburn! I know that feeling when you look at photos of your models and see stuff that still needs to be done, believe me weathering is really never done just like on the real thing, you can tinker about with it til the cows come home but I've found that you reach a stage where you instinctively know when (for you) it's done. Remember as long as you like it it's OK! ;) Phil

I'm wondering whether the white gouache would work better for water staining..... Thoughts?

Yes, definitely:

post-6668-0-27232900-1299102334_thumb.jpg

You can more easily feather the streaks, it's what gouache is best for IMO.

• Like 6

Yes, definitely:

post-6668-0-27232900-1299102334_thumb.jpg

You can more easily feather the streaks, it's what gouache is best for IMO.

Martin, you're a star - off in the morning to the local art shop I go then! cool.gif

Remind me again, how did you get that extra texture on the driving wheels of your dad's 9F? I remember you telling me, but can't for the life of me remember - it's a couple of years ago now! blink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

By way of an update, I've finally managed to finish my Ivatt 'Duchess' 46256. Up 'til this week, it had only been finished on the right-hand side, though still fully painted. It now has a full compliment of lining and numbers, plus a completion of the weathering job given to it last autumn.

post-6712-0-45488100-1299951318_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-49544200-1299951340_thumb.jpg

I've also added the missing details in the form of the vacuum pipe along the front portion of the frames and the pair of vacuum relief valves next to the cylinders on both sides. It certainly makes a huge difference to that otherwise empty space.

post-6712-0-25950600-1299951380_thumb.jpg

Weathering on this one is a simple one of dirty washes here and there plus a few powders to meld things together. There's very little weathering paint left on it, which is what I was after. In other words, it's clean-ish, but still a working loco. The scrubbed nature of the smoke deflectors seems to have come out better than I expected, given I couldn't remember what mix I used for the other side!

I'd love to sort the front numberplate out with white numbers some time or other. I've seen a method elsewhere on the forum that sounds worth going for, but it's a "do I, don't I?" dilemma.....

Addition of loco crew and cylinder steam cocks aside, this one is pretty much done. cool.gif

• Like 9

Guest LNER Tom

Tim, every time I have seen a picture of this loco of yours, I've been amazed at her! Now you have finished her (bet many didn't realise you hadn't done the other side ;) ), she looks

simply stunning.

And to think, not an airbrush in site either!The maroon livery weathered just looks so very right, can't explain why.

The Next big question is, when you going to re gauge her to EM.

Well done mate, regardless of lucking the Dogs! It also gives the rest of us something to aim for! :)

• Like 1

Tim, every time I have seen a picture of this loco of yours, I've been amazed at her! Now you have finished her (bet many didn't realise you hadn't done the other side ;) ), she looks

simply stunning.

Why thankyou kind sir. :) It's not often I'm satisfied with a weathering job, but I think this one is one of them. One down, two more 'red uns' to go!

Incidentally, I'd already mentioned in my gallery posting here that it still needed doing, so you see how long it's been waiting to be finished....... blink.gif

And to think, not an airbrush in site either!The maroon livery weathered just looks so very right, can't explain why.

I must admit that I'm still happy for the moment NOT to use the airbrush for anything other than main paintjobs these days. That might change, however, based on the results you're getting.

The Next big question is, when you going to re gauge her to EM?

When I've finished doing other locos far higher up in the queue ;). This one still gets occasional use on Llandudno Junction, at Chris' request! In short, not just yet.

Well done mate, regardless of lucking the Dogs! It also gives the rest of us something to aim for! :)

blush_mini.gif I'm still aiming further as I go in this lark. We're all here to help each other of course! Thanks :)

Cheers,