CSX Palmetto Spur

Alcanman

Hi,

Here we see a couple of 57' Mech Reefers at the food processor.

post-7898-0-63038800-1300021790_thumb.jpg

On the left is an old Athearn 'blue box' car and for comparison a new Intermountain car with loads of superb seperate detail parts,

most notably the fine mesh grills and fine ladders and stirrups. The latter car also comes equipped with a #78 scale coupler.

However, I found that scale and normal couplers don't work particularly well together. They are just not as smooth coupling and

uncoupling manually. I decided to replace the #78 with a good 'ol #5, which required a bit of minor surgery, but now works well.

Another downside is that the detail parts on new models are very delicate and I lost both uncoupling levers and one the middle stirrups,

although I managed to superglue it back on.

As the Intermountain model is more that twice the price of a new RTR Athearn model, which looks like it has upgraded tooling,

I think a might buy an Athearn.

Happy modelling,

Mal

Hi,

Here are some pics of Palmetto showing typical switching action.

Firstly, GP40-2 #6351 arrives with an all CSX consist.

post-7898-0-96218800-1300131654_thumb.jpg

Next, with switching completed #6351 is ready to depart Palmetto

post-7898-0-55199500-1300131815_thumb.jpg

With the departure of the local, Palmeto returns to it's usual tranquility.

post-7898-0-53256200-1300132241_thumb.jpg

Guest jonte

Hi,

Here are some pics of Palmetto showing typical switching action.

Firstly, GP40-2 #6351 arrives with an all CSX consist.

post-7898-0-96218800-1300131654_thumb.jpg

Next, with switching completed #6351 is ready to depart Palmetto

post-7898-0-55199500-1300131815_thumb.jpg

With the departure of the local, Palmeto returns to it's usual tranquility.

post-7898-0-53256200-1300132241_thumb.jpg

Love to see this on video Mal

Jonte

Hi,

Thanks to all for the encouraging comments, this is really appreciated. :rolleyes:

Despite the lack of suitable building kits, I have now started on the right hand side of the layout which represents the single track open storage/main line

sandwiched between non-rail served buildings. I had one small Pikestuff kit and then I found some Wills corrugated box steel sheets which I've used to

build another small warehouse - this is a very cheap way to build structures!

This is how it looks so far, eventually the foreground will also have buildings.

post-7898-0-53036300-1300287512_thumb.jpg

regards,

Mal

Guest jonte

This is how it looks so far, eventually the foreground will also have buildings.

Looking good Mal, but if you place buildings in the foreground, won't that block the view of the structures already in place? I know from another forum that replicating alleyways and industrial spurs such as this are a real quandary for that reason.

This is what I wanted to achieve http://www.bobsgardenpath.com/Patch2.html, but don't consider it possible as I want the layout raised to maximum height so I'm looking into it rather than down on it. Although the prospect of snapshots between buildings and open warehouse doors is an option, I still can't help feeling that in time, a restricted view as described would inevitably prove frustrating :angry:

Jonte :)

... if you place buildings in the foreground, won't that block the view of the structures already in place?...

Not trying to pre-empt the OP here, but I sort of got the impression that that's the idea here - to create a "Hidden Siding" without it actually being a Hidden Siding.. if I make sense... :unsure:

Guest jonte

Not trying to pre-empt the OP here, but I sort of got the impression that that's the idea here - to create a "Hidden Siding" without it actually being a Hidden Siding.. if I make sense... :unsure:

Aah. I see. Need to read it again. :huh:

Apologies

Jonte

Yeah, that's the idea.

The buildings in the foreground will be only 1 storey and probably no more than 3 ins tall. As the layout height is waist height I'm usually looking down, so no visual problems.

With regard to the ballast, it's Woodlands Scenics fine light grey and buff mixed with a splash of brown.

cheers,

Mal

Jonte - a suggestion about the aisle-side buildings

Add a clear plexiglass "wall" along the aisle, which will

also prevent any accidental "gravity switching". Vist a motor accessories shop

and buy a roll of window tint film. Cut out the shapes of the buildings,

including any windows and doorways and stick the film to the inner surface. Iff

the effect isn't pronounced enough, add a second layer You will then have see

through "shadow" buildings with clear doors and windows and the eye will accept

that there is a building there, whilst allowing you to see the position of the

stock for positioning and uncoupling. It may help to outline the windoframes and doors, and possibly the window frames, with a permanent "Sharpie" marker, making it a little more obvious why they have been left clear. Hope it helps

Jack

Guest jonte

Jonte - a suggestion about the aisle-side buildings

Add a clear plexiglass "wall" along the aisle, which will

also prevent any accidental "gravity switching". Vist a motor accessories shop

and buy a roll of window tint film. Cut out the shapes of the buildings,

including any windows and doorways and stick the film to the inner surface. Iff

the effect isn't pronounced enough, add a second layer You will then have see

through "shadow" buildings with clear doors and windows and the eye will accept

that there is a building there, whilst allowing you to see the position of the

stock for positioning and uncoupling. It may help to outline the windoframes and doors, and possibly the window frames, with a permanent "Sharpie" marker, making it a little more obvious why they have been left clear. Hope it helps

Jack

Hi Jack

This is a great idea I know you've proffered before and to which I've given much consideration. However, I think that with regard to the three crossings which are now laid, a location somewhere in the vicinity of the A1 Novelty building on Industrial Street would strike a better balance than the alley way, and using modellers licence I could open it up with some sort of yard on the viewing side (something like on the left of this picture

or this
plus it would present me with a wonderful opportunity to have a bash at making a fire escape or two (I have some offcuts of rail and thin brass wire in mind for the purpose ;) ).

I appreciate your input, Jack. Please feel free to keep them coming.

Jonte

The buildings in the foreground will be only 1 storey and probably no more than 3 ins tall. As the layout height is waist height I'm usually looking down, so no visual problems.

Here's a pic to show how it will look

:post-7898-0-96979300-1300443636_thumb.jpg

When completed the buildings will extend approx 3ft, thus 'hiding' the staged loco and 3 cars, when viewed at layout height.

cheers,

Mal

Guest jonte

Oh Mal you tease, curiosity is already killing me :angry:

See what I mean? ;)

Oh well, each to their own.

By the way, this is like something from Lance's site - quality !

Jonte :)

I haven't checked recently but I think the Ford F150 is Ford's bestselling vehicle in the World (certainly seems so in New Jersey and North Carolina). No wonder they are so protective of the name (see row with Ferrari).

Best, Pete.

Pete,

It's good to hear that I've made the right choice as clearly a Ford F150 won't look out of place in Palmetto.:rolleyes:

I'm off to the Pub now to impress my friends by telling them I've just bought an F150, but somehow at 1:87 scale, I don't think they will be impressed!:(

At the price I paid for the F150 here in the UK, I could have bought a 1:1 scale motor a few years ago. One of my mates has just bought a Merc SLK drop-top 1:1 scale

this week, so he'll be getting all the plaudits.

cheers,

Mal

At the price I paid for the F150 here in the UK, I could have bought a 1:1 scale motor a few years ago. One of my mates has just bought a Merc SLK drop-top 1:1 scale

this week, so he'll be getting all the plaudits.

I bet his depreciates rather faster & worse than yours, though..... :D ;) :P

Hi,

Today, with a lull in modeling activity, I thought I'd post a couple of pics to show how Palmetto fits against a small bedroom wall, 9ft in length.

I think it's a good idea to have a nice tidy arrangement, so that the layout becomes 'part of the furniture', this has the added benefit of, hopefully, promoting

domestic harmony.:rolleyes:

post-7898-0-50392900-1300636380_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-73659900-1300636448_thumb.jpg

The layout sits on some IKEA units. The baseboard is conventional enough, being two 3ins x 1ins timber frames topped with 12mm MDF.

However, a problem with this sort of arrangement is that the bedroom floor in unlikely to be level, and with today's

free running rolling stock is likely to cause some runaway trains.

The solution was for the timber frames to be screwed together but slightly out of alignment, being adjusted until everything was level.

Unconventional, but it works. A good friend with much better carpentry skills solved this problem for me.

Another idea is to simply paint the bedroom walls a very pale blue, as this produces a reasonably good backdrop.

The black fascia boards add to the neatness. They are made from 9mm MDF and are removable, being held to the framework with small brackets.

This system has served me well for over 10 years. Having built quite a few layouts, I simply remove the baseboards and start again :rolleyes:

cheers,

Mal

Archived