Bachmann Derby Lightweight

LTfan

I was a bit doubtful when I saw the crest on both cars, so thanks to the contributors who have clarified this point.

I recall seeing a set at Ansdell & Fairhaven running towards Preston on a Sunday morning. I imagine this was around '65 or '66, give or take. Can anyone shed any light on this? Maybe it was an excursion to the Lakes: Lakeside perhaps?

The ends of the Leeds-Bradford 'red triangle' sets were different as they lacked the lower centre marker light and had different jumpers.

Compare:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/5857645709/in/set-72157603648796702/

with:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/2872532126/in/set-72157603648796702/

If you want even more fun, there were several different layouts in the DTC vehicles, especially the first class sections.

The Red Triangle Derby Lightweights had jumper cables attached to the front from new, whilst the yellow diamond code had the jumper cables kept in the drivers cab - this applied also to the early Met-Camms. A later modification found the jumpers fixed to the front with the addition of dummy couplers to retain them when not in use. The first release by Bachmann has the original arrangement for yellow diamond - it will be interesting to see what they do with the next one.

As gear selection was not required with the red triangle control system the number of wires required was less.

Hi Andrew,

The bodies of the West Riding ( Leeds-Bradford ) and the West Cumberland sets were very similar, the cab end detail and possibly the roof detail differed though. The biggest difference is on the engines and transmissions, the Leeds-Bradford were hydraulic with Leyland engines and torque converters, whereas the Cumberland and the rest of the fleet, adopted the GWR arrangement of AEC engines and mechanical transmission. It should be possible to create a hydraulic set from a Bachmann Cumberland set ( 32-516 ).

Cheers, Brian.

The ends of the Leeds-Bradford 'red triangle' sets were different as they lacked the lower centre marker light and had different jumpers.

Compare:

http://www.flickr.co...57603648796702/

with:

http://www.flickr.co...57603648796702/

If you want even more fun, there were several different layouts in the DTC vehicles, especially the first class sections.

The Red Triangle Derby Lightweights had jumper cables attached to the front from new, whilst the yellow diamond code had the jumper cables kept in the drivers cab - this applied also to the early Met-Camms. A later modification found the jumpers fixed to the front with the addition of dummy couplers to retain them when not in use. The first release by Bachmann has the original arrangement for yellow diamond - it will be interesting to see what they do with the next one.

As gear selection was not required with the red triangle control system the number of wires required was less.

Thanks everyone - useful info. So I would imagine the chassis equipment details would be quite different between the hydraulic and mechanical versions?

If you want to make a more realistic West Cumberland set, in Ian Allans The Heyday of the DMU, there are some good colour photos of both green (speed whisker) and blue Derby L/W's, illustrating well the postion of bars across the windows, Also an excellent photo of condemed green and blue ones at Upperby.

The underfloor details were not that different, the main one being the absence of a gearbox as the torque converter was attached to the engine flywheel. The manifold and exhaust arrangements on the Leyland engines were also noticeably different but some of the auxiliaries appear to be in the same place on both types.

Sadly, good photos of underframe detail are hard to get.

Yellow Diamond early arrangement (jumpers kept in cab): http://www.flickr.co...157603648796702

Yellow Diamond modified arrangement: http://www.flickr.co...57603648796702/

The recent book British Railways First Generation DMUs by Hugh Longworth is a good reference source including small copies of the BR Diagram book diagrams.

Photos include one of the ER 56-seat DMBS vehicles showing through the window the back of the seat between door vestibule and van area - there were longitudinal seats for two passengers on each side, and single unit M79900 working with DMCL M79190 (captioned as a trailer and possibly running as such though this one was not listed as converted to DTCL).

Photos include ... single unit M79900 working with DMCL M79190 (captioned as a trailer and possibly running as such though this one was not listed as converted to DTCL).

I'm guessing that's the one at Sandy or somewhere near, in that big Chris Leigh book a few years ago? As I said earlier, I have a clear recollection of SC79189/90 in store at York in 1969, which seemed odd even at the time but then there were also odd cars from the NER DLW units scattered around at the time.

Yes, a lovely line-up.

I was pondering the five DLW power twins, allocated at one time to LLandudno Junction. As Larry points out, the Blaenau Festiniog branch was more frequently seen using power-trailers, like on the coast line. Bearing-in-mind that one of the few photos of a power-twin was at Caenarvon (1960s spelling, like BF ! ), suggests they were intended for the Bangor-Caenarvon-Afon Wen-Pwllheli branch. I seem to recall reading somewhere that 4MT tanks or even Black 5s were preferred for this line, there must have been some demanding inclines en route? Can anyone confirm this?

Is it no coincidence, that as soon as that branch was cut back to Bangor-Carnarvon, the power twins were transferred away?

Cheers, Brian.

Lovely line up Robert although the Cravens looks a little bit wanting in the window department and doesnt quite capture the flush window effect.

That might be because the windows have been accidentally pressed in slightly - something to which Bachmann models are susceptible, though that's preferable to the alternative of too much glue, which we sometimes have with Hornby models in particular.

I'm guessing that's the one at Sandy or somewhere near, in that big Chris Leigh book a few years ago? As I said earlier, I have a clear recollection of SC79189/90 in store at York in 1969, which seemed odd even at the time but then there were also odd cars from the NER DLW units scattered around at the time.

Not sure about a Chris Leigh book. The photo was in the First Generation DMUs book by Kevin Robertson, which was notable for its inaccurate captions and muddling up of types. The book I referred to is the new one by Hugh Longworth - an essential reference for anyone with an interest in DMUs and commendably pretty free of howling errors.

The photo in question is at Potton. I had a closer look and the second vehicle does look like a DMC as what looks like an exhaust pipe is visible. A rare combination with a single unit.

Slightly mischievous thought, if Bachmann did decide to do a model of the battery unit I wonder if they would consider using a rechargeable battery power unit with perhaps some form of radio control, just to be authentic? The rechargeable batteries used in electric remote control helicopters are tiny but quite powerful and it would make for an interesting novelty item!

Brian Kirby :

Bearing-in-mind that one of the few photos of a power-twin was at Caenarvon (1960s spelling, like BF ! ), suggests they were intended for the Bangor-Caenarvon-Afon Wen-Pwllheli branch. I seem to recall reading somewhere that 4MT tanks or even Black 5s were preferred for this line, there must have been some demanding inclines en route? Can anyone confirm this?

Although there were some 1-in-40 gradients, there is no evidence that power-twins were necessary for the Caernarvon-Afon Wen line. In late LMS days a Fairburn 2-6-4T was tested over the route with 10 coaches, which it handled okay but left no margin for recovery and so the limit was reduced to 8 coaches. As 10 coach trains were more the norm, double heading was resorted to.

In 1956 the new Derby Lightweights were tried on the line from Llandudno Junction, although the men needed piloting facilites because they were not passed for the line. Then the Unit was tested on the Conway Valley Branch. In 1957 four Bangor drivers were trained on the new Units and according to Bill Rear took up most services on the Amlwch line. I only ever travelled over that stretch in summer and it was always by steam train and LMS open 2-window coaches up until 1962 then elderly Staniers thereafter. I never once saw a DMU right up to my final visit in 1964.

Slightly mischievous thought, if Bachmann did decide to do a model of the battery unit I wonder if they would consider using a rechargeable battery power unit with perhaps some form of radio control, just to be authentic? The rechargeable batteries used in electric remote control helicopters are tiny but quite powerful and it would make for an interesting novelty item!

Clever thought - that would put a spanner in the works for the DCC fans.

Archived