Bachmann Derby Lightweight

LTfan

No,

Lived in Levenshulme so it was the Man to Crewe etc line,

I think they worked the Buxton Service as well

Although we preferreed to go the LONG way round to Buxton From manchester Central on a London Train to Millers dale then branch service back to Buxton!!

Been notified by Hattons today that my Derby Lightweight is on its way.

Only time I travelled on one was the "John Peel Land Cruise" around the Lake District many moons ago. Great visibility from those large windows as I recall.

Edward

Only time I travelled on one was the "John Peel Land Cruise" around the Lake District many moons ago. Great visibility from those large windows as I recall.

Oh the great man had taste in pioneering DMUs as well as pioneering great music :sungum:

Guest Max Stafford

You'll love it, Edward! It's showing Maryport on one end and Carlisle on the other. Dare I hope for 'Carlisle' and 'Hawick' on the small panel version...?

Dave.

They worked the only official named local train, The Welsh Dragon, for a short while before reverting to steam.

AH The Welsh Dragon!! When I was (VERY) young we often holydayed in Rhyl Or Llandudno and I seemed to spend most of the time travelling on the 'Dragon' mostly in its Push Pull steam guise ( Ivatt 2-6-2T and 3 Maroon suburbans) and latterley in DMU guise

Happy Days

• RMweb Gold

Just back from my monthly bout of retail therapy at The HobbyShop at Faversham and had a look at the whiskered-version. Looks very nice but held off buying in the hope that Bachmann will release an East Anglian based model in the E79032 to E79075 series, preferably one of the Norwich allocated sets. Hope they repeat the Lowestoft/Norwich destination blinds as they did on the Cravens

Remembered riding on them (during summer holidays) from Lowestoft to Somerleyton soon after they were introduced - managed to get seats behind the driver - fantastic for one brought up on Southern Electrics.....

Keith

I note that Bachmann have modelled the early version with the single window in the brake compartment which means that this model cannot be converted to the Deeside battery unit as I had planned. Maybe they intend to do the other DMBS as well - anybody in the know?

The Bachmann pre-production photos for the GSYP and blue versions show the later brake van arrangement and windscreens with horizontal dividing bars.

These were the type used in East Anglia and other places, the first release currently available being more suitable for Cumbria.

My 2 Derby Lightwiegt sets arrived as expected today, first impressions are Excellent, as we would now expect from Bachmann!

Just a small point which may be of interest to Digiital Users, the power car requires an 8 pin decoder as expected,.......... whilst the trailer car ( unless you dont mind yellowish lights in both directions!) requires a 6 pin decoder.

This has probabbly been noted previously but I dont recall seeing it.

Luckily I have several spare decoders here!!

• RMweb Premium

My 2 Derby Lightwiegt sets arrived as expected today, first impressions are Excellent, as we would now expect from Bachmann!

Just a small point which may be of interest to Digiital Users, the power car requires an 8 pin decoder as expected,.......... whilst the trailer car ( unless you dont mind yellowish lights in both directions!) requires a 6 pin decoder.

This has probabbly been noted previously but I dont recall seeing it.

Luckily I have several spare decoders here!!

Lucky you indeed. Bachmann is bringing out a lot of good stuff now that requires a 21pin decoder, yet the Bachmann one is impossible to find and not even on the list as soon to arrive either.

I have now dismantled a trailer car and definately confirm that it is a 6 PIN socket ( despites Bachamanss website stating the decoder requirement being stated as 8 + 8!!)

Re Andrew in Portugal

hattons have Lenz 21 pins decoders in stock now and there is also a loom available to allow use of 8 pin in 21 pins sockets, Also tthe Hornby sapphire decoder is a 21 pin decoder (R8245) it is supplied with a conversion loom to allow 8 pin sockets to be used also.

Good grief! Mine turned up today, 1 day after the 3F and 6 days after the Compound. When you order these items so far in advance, it can be a bit of a strain on the wallet when they all turn up at once.

Oh lordy, now it seems that the first batches of the Dapol LMS twins is on the way. I think I'm going to have to apply to the European Central Bank for a bailout...

The Bachmann pre-production photos for the GSYP and blue versions show the later brake van arrangement and windscreens with horizontal dividing bars.

These were the type used in East Anglia and other places, the first release currently available being more suitable for Cumbria.

Useful post thanks. I guess those of us modelling Cumbria and nearby probably ought to get off the fence and decide whether they want one before the first releases disappear from the shelves :O

Yes - you have to be careful what you can couple them to. The Cumbria units were Yellow Diamond and could only be coupled to the early Met Cams. The later units for East Anglia were also Yellow Diamond whilst the Red Triangle ones were Leyland engined with torque converters and operated in the West Riding where they had a reputation for going on fire!

It would be nice to be able to operate a mixed Met-Cam/Derby Lightweight set but the Hornby and Bachmann Motor Bogies 'fight' as I have tried it with 101s and 108s!

I haven't got one of these all-green DLWs yet, but it looks beautiful in the photos. Beware of early style Derby Lightweights, they are a rather complicated and confusing class. As a lot of members will already know, this first offering from Bachmann is what was known as a "Cumberland" set, denoted by the large window towards the brake end (because of the extra seating) and the one-piece cab windscreens (the internal horizontal bar was added quite quickly for safety). They spent their entire lives shuttling around the Lake District and down the Waverley Route, based at Carlisle. Emblems were usually restricted to motor coaches only, but as Bachmann have obviously discovered, one or two sets did have emblems on the driving trailers too, as a couple of Cumberland set pics prove. Another distinguishing feature were three safety bars fitted to every passenger door window, perhaps this was too much to expect from the manufacturer? They could have printed the bars on.

The bodies of these Cumberland sets are quite similar to the original Leeds-Bradford hydraulic sets, but all the mechanics are completely different, as were their cab end fittings. LMR also had five power twin sets, which various books suggest had the early window and seating, but an elusive photo needs to prove it. A few of these power twins were later converted to power-trailers. Original Eastern Region sets had new two-piece windscreens with the pair of small windows instead, reflecting the lower seating total, one window was now in the guard's van.

Peering at Bachmann's pre-production pics, it looks like the other two releases will be from the more widespread second BR build, with two-piece windscreens, and the pair of brake end windows, which are both now part of the guard's van, due to have fewer passenger seats. Quite a few of this second batch were later moved to Cumbria to join the originals and also had door window bars fitted retrospectively. We will have to wait and see what finally actually appears. Hope this helps, confusing innit!

Cheers, Brian.

Cumbrian Newspapers have released a DVD, CUMBRIA'S LOST RAILWAYS which has clips of the Derby Lightweights in action.

£8.95 inc P&P.

Nostagia for us as it shows Bassenthwaite Staion and Braithwaite Station with the camping coaches, just like we remember them.

Good value for the price.

• RMweb Gold

It would be nice to be able to operate a mixed Met-Cam/Derby Lightweight set but the Hornby and Bachmann Motor Bogies 'fight' as I have tried it with 101s and 108s!

Sounds like a job for DCC with speed curves set up to enable compatible running between the two. Not something I've tried, but there are those here who could give you chapter and verse.

Running in around my loft at this very moment. Delightful model in my (uneduacted) opinion. Excellent lighting and a good distinction between First class and the 'ordinary people'. Ran perfectly out of the box. Fitted with hook and bar couplings front and rear, which seems a bit odd to me, but these are easy to remove and replace with the buffer beam detail, though I would personally have preferred it to be the other way round.

Archived