mk1 ck coach windows

fozzy280472

Hi chaps ,ive been wondering for a while why on the Tri-ang/lima/Bachmann mk1 ck coaches, one of the second class standard size windows seems to have a secondary inner frame, ive looked at photos of the real things but it seems that not all coaches have them and the ones that do seem less pronounced than on the models.

Can anyone enlighten me on what this secondary frame was for ?

regards

Paul.

I've got a slide of the inside of one on a Bristol - Portsmouth train in 1986 but my Dad has got his scanner back at the moment so I've no way of posting the pic.

There were two large metal handles on either side of the window on the inside, similar to the swivel ones you see on double glazed house windows. I can't remember much more about it - don't know how they stopped the drafts.

• RMweb Premium

can't be exact cos i can't get to my copy, but the parkin mk1 book supplement details the minutes of the carriage design committee(?)

there are several mentions of the 'stretcher' windows, mainly dealing with how to get/keep them fully watertight. IIRC there's a request from BR just to get rid, due to being more bother than they were worth, but they were overruled by the ministry of health, who insisted that they be provided.

• RMweb Premium

unless it had something to do with a higher incidence of diseases like TB in them days? i'm sure theres a mention of sign which explains that a compt. was locked out of use until it had been disinfected. makes sense if someone is contagious, to have them in a compt., but only one compt. in one type of vehicle does seem odd. a perhaps not-that-common occurence for which provision was (or had to be) made?

Why were stretcher windows considered necessary? Was transport of patients by train a regular occurrence when Mk1s were designed, or was it provided as some sort of contingency plan?

Paul

Would you have fancied a long distance road journey in the back of an ambulance?

A couple of points that have yet to be noted

1. the curious window arrangement on the corridor side of Mk1 CKs was to enable a door to be placed adjacent to the stretcher compartment, for loading unloading and unloading stretchers from the corridor side; and
  2. don't expect to see a stretcher window on all surviving Mk1 CKs: leaking stretcher windows were one of the sources of corrosion in these coaches and they have been eliminated in some surviving coaches.

• RMweb Premium

re: point 1

good spot! i think everyone's automatically focussed on the compt. side. to be fair, i've never considered why the corridor side windows were so 'weird', with those half-windows the SR seem to like so much! :lol:

Brake Compo wrote

• the curious window arrangement on the corridor side of Mk1 CKs was to enable a door to be placed adjacent to the stretcher compartment, for loading unloading and unloading stretchers from the corridor side; and
  • don't expect to see a stretcher window on all surviving Mk1 CKs: leaking stretcher windows were one of the sources of corrosion in these coaches and they have been eliminated in some surviving coaches.

The Motor Brake Seconds on the Trans-Pennine units had the same arrangement for carrying stretchers in the third compartment up from the toilet end. It also now explains the weird door arrangement on the corridor side of these vehicles.

Paul J.

Would you have fancied a long distance road journey in the back of an ambulance?

with no motorways, few dual carriageways, bypasses or ringroads. Even in the early '60's the journey from Worcester to my granny's in Cheshire, 93 miles, took 4 hours.

• RMweb Premium

I once had the "misfortune" to be in a stretcher window fitted coach on a railtour.............

What we got up to wouldn't be allowed these days. :lol:

Cheers,

Mick

p.s. What we got up to, I wouldn't even attempt it these days - I am a few (30 or so) years older now. :unsure:

• 2 years later...

Archived