Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

Hi guys!  Well it seemed like many months since I posted an update, but looking back it wasn't really that long ago.  Just to put minds at rest and to paraphrase Monty P, "ET is not dead, it's just sleeping"...

I have to admit a combination of my competitive spirit and good weather meant I was golfing 3-4 days every week and whilst very enjoyable, it meant there was little time for anything else, so trips upstairs to ET were few and far between.  One of the issues I've had to deal with is lack of space as everything I have in this hobby is piled into that room and every job normally means shifting stuff about before work can commence.  That in itself is no way to feel good about what you're doing and inevitably interest waned as golf took over….but...

My wife has been suggesting (nagging) for ages about selling some stuff and creating some space, but once again motivation was low and nothing got done.  We've all been there.  Sitting at the bottom of a mountain and wondering how we will ever get to the top.  The job is so daunting that nothing gets done as it's easier to do nothing than to start to solve the problem.  The good news is that I have started and 23 items have found their way onto eBay with more to follow.  What possessed me to buy a Grange and a Hall for a LNER layout is beyond me, so guilty as charged...

The good news is that getting loco's out of boxes and test running them before sale has reignited my interest and I'm confident that work will start again, once the decent weather wanes.  Right now the lure of walking in the fresh air with a bunch of mates and enjoying a few beers and laughs afterwards is more attractive than clambering under boards with a soldering iron, but the pendulum is starting to swing back the other way.

So nothing to show, but just to quash the rumours and to put the record straight, ET is still alive and hopefully will run one day.  I know my track record is not great in that respect, but I did enjoy playing with loco's, so the intention is certainly there.

Thanks for following!

• Like 13

Almost forgot.  There might be something of interest here.  Most if not all haven't been out of the boxes.  My name is Gordon and I'm a railway modeller/collector….Hopefully a cure will be found soon…:-)

Only a few have anything to do with BR E in the 60's, so if you're a diesel guy, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Edit:  Apologies guys, I hadn't realised I had broken the rules on eBay links, so have removed it.

Edited by gordon s

Guest Belgian

Almost forgot.  There might be something of interest here.  Most if not all haven't been out of the boxes.  My name is Gordon and I'm a railway modeller/collector….Hopefully a cure will be found soon…:-)

Only a few have anything to do with BR E in the 60's, so if you're a diesel guy, you might be pleasantly surprised.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=3&_sanli=3&_fss=1&_fsradio=%26LH_SpecificSeller%3D1&_saslop=1&_sasl=gordons19&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

So have we narrowly been spared a stripped-down Eastwood Town with no sidings, track rationalised and with the station reduced to a pair of platforms with just bus shelters as class 66s and 60s* run through with block trains? I dare you to reveal all! . . .

JE :jester:

*To those who wonder what I was on about - Gordon's link showed that he was offering a whole load of class 60 and 66 diesel models on e-bay (together with a number of other diesel types)

Edited by Belgian

• 3 weeks later...

So have we narrowly been spared a stripped-down Eastwood Town with no sidings, track rationalised and with the station reduced to a pair of platforms with just bus shelters as class 66s and 60s* run through with block trains? I dare you to reveal all! . . .

JE :jester:

*To those who wonder what I was on about - Gordon's link showed that he was offering a whole load of class 60 and 66 diesel models on e-bay (together with a number of other diesel types)

More from “The Dark Side” according to the listings I saw last night.................... :drag:

Best, Pete.

Watch it, you lot!….

I'm just having a good purge of stuff that I have accumulated over the years.  All those trips to the US and Canada with spare hours wandering round model shops have finally come home to roost.  Add to that a passing interest in modern stuff and I'm swamped in boxes.  I'm keeping items of special interest and sentimental value, but recognise that I probably purchased one or two items that on reflection may never run. All the surplus is taking up valuable space and I got fed up having to move stuff about to work on ET.  Add to that one or two great results on the golf course and my mojo is at a pretty low level where modelling is concerned.

Unlike previous years however, I'm OK with it.  The weather will break sooner or later in October time and by then things will have improved and I'll get back onto the layout.  Of course there's always a slim chance I'll just sail off into the sunset, but you'll be the first to know.

I even started taking an interest in the modular layout thread, but all this talk of wireless systems, mobile phones, iPads, tablets etc brought it home to me that technology is passing me by.  I did wonder at one point how turnouts etc were going to be operated from miles away with all the inter board connections, but guess that's one of life's mysteries.  

Building a module in 00-SF without telling anyone what gauge it was would have been a lot of fun…:-)

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gordon.

I noticed all your classified ads and was a bit worried you'd decided to pack the whole lot in, in favour of your other interests. Glad to see that's not the case, and that opening a few loco boxes has got you going again!

Always a pleasure to watch developments on here, so it'll be good to see what you get upto next!

Jeff

Hi Gordon.

I noticed all your classified ads and was a bit worried you'd decided to pack the whole lot in, in favour of your other interests. Glad to see that's not the case, and that opening a few loco boxes has got you going again!

Always a pleasure to watch developments on here, so it'll be good to see what you get upto next!

Jeff

How can someone disagree with Jeff's comments here? Sheeesh.............

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I very much agree, but I suspect it's a slip of the fingers. When I use my tablet I do find it's very easy to click that disagree button, as it's right next to the scroll bar I'm trying to move with my fat index finger, or my thumb if I don't hold the table right at the edge!

Edited by Anotheran

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Peter.

I've sent a PM to inquire about this. I don't normally notice "ratings", but I'm a bit bemused by this one!

Gordon - apologies for using your thread.

Jeff

Not a problem at all, Jeff.  At least it's raised ET from the ashes...

I think it was purely finger trouble and nothing sinister.  Those of us with 'sausage fingers' find it a regular failing on iPads.

it would appear that I am the 'culprit'. This comes as a suprise to me as I had no intention of commenting. My apologies if I have caused consternation or offence. I assure you that none was intended. Brian
  • Like 1

I’ve given up trying to “comment” when using my Iphone or kindle because I have large hands and fat fingers (well, you know what they say).

Brian you can “undo” the rating. Wait until you’re at a keyboard, I suggest.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

it would appear that I am the 'culprit'. This comes as a suprise to me as I had no intention of commenting. My apologies if I have caused consternation or offence. I assure you that none was intended. Brian

Cheers, Brian. No problem - I was just curious.

Posting via mobile is MY nightmare. Too easy to fill your post with spelling errors or half-finished rubbish.

Gordon, I think there are MANY of us who are delighted to see ET "come alive" again. And a lot of us who've appreciated your help and comments over the last few years.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Have a bit of respect guys, you're talking to the 2014 High Post Golf Club, Seniors Open Champion as of this afternoon….:-)

Have no worries, decided to have a major clearout and all non essential stuff has gone up for sale.  Modern rolling stock, US stuff and anything that was not running in the early 60's was really a 'collection' and non essential to ET, so has been welcomed by new owners and leaves me space to do things.

Whilst the weather is good and I'm playing out of my skin, golf is taking up most of my time.  Once the weather breaks and it gets cold out there, modelling will no doubt come to the front again.  If it doesn't you'll be the first to know….

Then the question will be 'anyone want a few baseboards with ballasted track'?….:-)

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 2

Well I was right about the 19th hole then. Well done Gordon,it is a nice feeling walking into the clubhouse with a winning score, though could be a bit expensive over the bar. Did you back yourself in the sweepstake ?

I remember the first club competition I entered soon after I joined my first club, it was 2 months later that I was told I had won it. Well it was a Rabbits (highest handicappers) only comp, and I was a new member and probably won by default as the only one who kept  his card going. Still as they say there are no pictures on the score card and that entry on the wall is just as impressive as the others.

Now for the next one, club champion?

• Like 1

I have a silver cup on the shelf behind me for a first. First cup I won in Pistol shooting. In this particular competition you had to specify where you would end in the “main” competition (does that make sense). I wrote "next to last and" won handsomely......

Best, Pete.

Thanks guys. Like you, Pete, I was gutted when I read the news about Tetley's this morning. Dave's layout was the inspiration behind ET. In the early days I was struggling with retaining walls, so dropped Dave a PM just asking for a few pointers. Next thing I knew he had invited me to his home to see Tetleys first hand. I lived some 150 miles away and it was going to be a long day, so without hesitation he invited me to stay overnight and have dinner with Dave, his wife Julie and two good friends of theirs who we also visiting.

To invite a complete stranger to his home was one thing, but to invite me to stay overnight, even though they already had their own friends there, was a measure of the kindness and welcome from Dave and Julie that I will never forget. There are dozens of pics of Tetleys in the press, but I will treasure my own taken during my couple of days there for years to come.

A great guy and an outstanding modeller.