Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

• 4 weeks later...

Gordon

Good to see the postings again, glad you have got some golf in my last game was a month ago, owing to a combination of golf partners on holiday (playing golf in Portugal) wet weather on my days off and Easter holidays. I am on holiday this week but replacing the fencing that blew down in the winter storms has been the priority, nearly finished and now the wet weather is coming

Minor tweaks on copperclad turnouts are quite easy to do and the electrics are slightly simpler. But little tweaks to turnouts made from ply sleepers and plastic chairs are not too bad. as the strength comes from the number of chairs used and individual ones are quite easy to un-bond, unlike plastic to plastic.

My wife keeps showing me that hoarders program, do you think she is trying to tell me something. However selling unwanted items either on RMweb or Ebay serves 3 purposes. Firstly provides items for others which they may struggle to obtain, secondly makes space and thirdly produces model railway vouchers.

Back to the layout, stunning bit of modelling and proves the points that copperclad construction is perfect for the larger layouts and 00-sf not only looks better but works

• Like 1

No doubt you'll have seen Larry's (Coachmann) r-t-r bashing with the Railroad version. I don't think he mentioned the truck wheels. It does seem to be a backwards step. 

Hasn't the well liked 'Britannia' been like this for some time? It allows a fully detailed truck and lower firebox/ashpan to be modelled in place of the previous silly little swinging truck with bags of daylight under the ashpan. When DOG was minus front steps and had moulded handrails and the wrong Tender, I'm afraid flangeless wheels were barely of concern.  :biggrin_mini2:

Gordon, I see you have built new retaining walls using the Wills stone mouldings. For some reason, that i couldn't manage to capture myself, your previous walls built with Slater 7mm scale stonework really did look the part even though over scale. Perhaps it was down to the colouring of greyish-black.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gordon, thanks for the update and the super work. I got some C&L flexi and turnout bits and bobs from York show, just need to get the railway room finished first.

Edited by Rowsley17D

Thanks for all your kind comments as it's great to hear what others think.  We're always critical of our own work, probably because we get much too close to it after many hours and it's so easy to mentally rip everything apart without other viewpoints.  

You raised an interesting point, Coach.  I'm still not 100% happy with the retaining walls.  The Slaters one's have the appearance of something really solid, but then can look really overscale in certain situations.  The Wills ones are more to scale, but then look a little like ornamental walls at times.  It occurs to me there is an opening for one or other to offer something like the dressed stone of Slaters 7mm but more to scale.  I know Slaters do have a 4mm dressed stone product, but it's completely different to the 7mm one and for me, is another product that misses the mark.

I'm almost going full circle and could be tempted to go back to engineering blue brick, but that's sometime in the future as I have other things to complete first.  My goal is still to see something run a full circuit in the next 12 months.  Although I have just a third completed and wired, the remainder of the layout is certainly simpler, so progress may be a little faster. 

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I think the thing that has held you back but is also producing such great results is how critical you are of your own work. Completing the track wiring and ballasting then looking at producing walls is the way, you could follow Daves technique and cast your own wall sections at a later date or combine the two wall sections to give a heavy base with a lighter top.

I'm almost going full circle and could be tempted to go back to engineering blue brick, but that's sometime in the future as I have other things to complete first.  My goal is still to see something run a full circuit in the next 12 months.  Although I have just a third completed and wired, the remainder of the layout is certainly simpler, so progress may be a little faster. 

Add me to the 'great trackwork' votes, Gordon. A joy to behold every time you post a new set of pictures.

If you're now a third completed/wired (and that's the worse bit) then for the sake of all our sanities - KEEP GOING!!! To complete the circuit will be so much more than just a 'golden spike' moment. To kick back and watch your stock lapping effortlessly will be such a boost (but I guess you know that). :senile:  Only then do you need to start worrying about the retaining walls (they look great to me, for what it's worth)

• Like 1

Hi  Gordon. Not to get confused Iam Phil Houghton. Better late than never.. I have just finished reading all your 69 threads. Just to say you are a Master Craft's man in respect to your

layout work as to track work and all the rest. Is templot what you get when you do your own track work, or is it a computer aided track system you work from. I only no of winrail . com

and anyrail.com as track planning systems. Hope you do not mind if I take you back to thread 42 ie/ Gradients you may now have completed this work. I have always used the calculation

as to overall length including transition at both ends  Divide in to the height that is required, if you only have 13ft = 3,939mm divide that in to 70mm = 0.0177 %  before your point work.

On working with my son on my grandson layout we have  4 tracks coming down  over 8mtr to go under terminus with 100mm height = 8000mm divide into 100mm= 0.0125 % we have on

trial no problem with di-cast wren loco's pulling 8 coaches gets harder over 1%. for every 96" you drop 1"  so that's 8ft drop per1" to maintain the 1% requirement. That is why I think you

may have to move your point work back to wards your junction. I look forward to your layout being completed and more threads.

PS Hope  you & wife are in good health. Regards Phil Houghton.

• RMweb Gold

Is templot what you get when you do your own track work, or is it a computer aided track system you work from. I only no of winrail . com

and anyrail.com as track planning systems.

Hi Phil,

Templot is a computer program for the design of handbuilt track plans, and printing the construction templates on which the track is built.

Winrail and Anyrail are intended for use with ready-made track such as Peco, Hornby, etc. Templot doesn't work with those, it is for handbuilt track only.

Templot is free to use -- more info at:  http://templot.com

regards,

Martin.

Phil

Martin is being a bit modest again, in that you can plan a layout using Templot. One of the things you can do is to overlaying a map or plan to enable you to copy a track plan over it. As you can see Gordon has made a full size track plan of his layout which he is using not only to plan his turnouts and crossings, but where to place the track.

Of course it can become quite complicated, but in its basic format its quite simple to use

Martin has kindly made available through a posting on Templot Club the odd Peco turnout, and whilst it will not work like the other systems using SET TRACK, will work fine with RTR Flexi Track, and you could overlay Peco plans to have a turnout the same size

Hi Phil, there are many ways of calculating gradients.  Taking your examples, if I wanted a vertical height difference of 70mm, I would take the 13' run (3962mm) and divide by 70mm.  This gives a gradient of 1:57.  This can also be quoted in percentage terms by dividing 1 by 57 and converting to % to give 1.75%.

My preferred gradients are 1:100 or 1%, which supports your findings.

Of course all of that is academic as the layout shown on page 42 has long since gone to the scrapheap.  The current ET has no gradients at all to simplify construction and protect my sanity…;-)

Martin and John have already commented on the use of Templot.  Personally I find it invaluable and use full size templates for the whole layout, not just the pointwork.  It does require a little more effort but does give me precise information as to what goes where.

Edited by gordon s

• 3 weeks later...

Morning Gordon, only just found this thread thanks to Pete (trisonic) who recommended it when I posed a question about 'Templot' so don't be surprised by a succession of new 'likes' appearing by old posts as I work through it over the weekend! I am very impressed already and admire your skill and craftsmanship, particularly in regard to the track work. Very inspirational indeed, as is the scenery so far! The layout I've planned is much smaller due to constraints of space and my physical condition but I hope to download and learn about 'Templot' on the PC in my study. Can I assume you would recommend it in view of what you have produced?

Thank you and kind regards,

Jock.

PS I notice that I've already ticked some ratings so must have stumbled on the thread in the past without understanding the significance. Old f*rts should keep notes!

Edited by Jock67B

Many thanks for your kind comments, Jock.  ET has been a bit of a battle at times with design faults and the usual ups and downs of building a large layout on your own.  Golf is my other passion and that seems to be taking up most of my time these days.  I am still working on ET, albeit at a slightly slower rate.  Pipe down those at the back. I know it can't be much slower...

Templot as a package is second to none for hand built track, but is also invaluable for creating full size layout drawings.  My first few jobs were as a draughtsman in electro mechanical design, so drawings are a way of life for me and it's so much easier and cheaper to stick a few A4 pages together that spending days cutting timber and laying track only to find the reality of a design is not what you visualised in your head.

I'm borderline on PC skills and found Templot difficult to get my head round at the beginning.  Martin is very thorough in his attention to detail and I was just overwhelmed with the amount of information and options in the package.  I'm a dive in person and find your way round with the manual only referred to when I get stuck, so found it hard to get started.  After a while I found out that you can generate superb plans with just a few F keys and that was me hooked.

The software is free to download and I'm more than happy to show you all the shortcuts to get you started, so just ask away.  I fall very much into the 'Templot for Dummies' school rather than the degree stuff that others undertake.  It's a great tool to use and I'd struggle without it.  I would always encourage anyone down that route as it will save you hours and £'s in the long run. 

For other ET followers, work is progressing.  I've spent quite a while improving the walls and trackwork with a fair bit of weathering with an airbrush and MIG weathering powders.  The first plate girder bridge was redesigned and rebuilt using some of the original bits and now sits a lot better on the support pillars.  The wiring has but been completed and I am able to run trains back and forth.  The next stage will be to join the two boards together and then get started on the next one.  I'm undecided yet whether to go to the station side or continue the line round past the shed.  Decisons, decisons….

• Like 9