Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

Regarding sticking down paper templates. John - have you tried using Blue Stick by UHU?. It seems to have very strong adhesive powers when I use it inappropriately (such as trying to glue aluminium to plywood). Certainly works really well when building Scalescenes kits.

One very messy railway room.  I did warn you...

You can also see the limitations of the roof slope and how it reduces the available space by around 4' overall.

Interesting photo. Now I understand how critical the "Stairwell" is - and the "battle" between it and the slope of the roof heightwise.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Great progress Gordon :)

and you seem to be fairing better that the other Eastwood Town ;)

http://www.ilkestonadvertiser.co.uk/news/local/locked-out-badgers-survival-in-severe-doubt-1-6391442

My office at work overlooks the ground and the clubhouse etc is boarded up. We are waiting for the pikeys to move in, plenty of grazing for the horses

A sad story indeed Ian. 61 years down the drain through poor financial management, most of which is owed to the council. I can't help but feel sadness for the club and all their supporters.

Just to close the loop, Pete, here's the other side of the room with the staircase. Hopefully it will all make sense now. The stairwell board is in place and I'm working on the ones on the right. The boards on the left are the old storage lines from an earlier version of ET. These will be relocated and realigned to become the new storage roads which will come out into the room from the stairwell.

post-6950-0-90557200-1392366367_thumb.jpg

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

I think you will find the local authorities have put a preservation order on them!

Cheers

Dave

No, I heard that his next door neighbour had some and Gordon wanted one more!

Couple of pics that show what lays ahead.  I needed to start on the shed approach roads and whilst sticking a few sheets together is a good indication, nothing beats putting them all together to ensure everything hangs together and you're not introducing a mm or two error.  On it's own it's not an issue, but take that 8'-10' away and what was a mm or two is now a misalignment of 30mm.  The only way to cover that is to lay out the whole area and then work from there.  Thankfully A4 printer paper and sticky tape is far cheaper than 12mm ply and of course it can go in the bin without the love of my life noticing….:-)

Here's half of ET shed.  The turntable is currently a Fleischmann one as I've been anxiously awaiting news of the Metalsmith's Cowan and Sheldon 70' kit.  I say anxiously, but it's now two years and there are doubts it will ever appear.  Never mind, I'll face that hurdle when it comes to it.  My preferred stepper motor control system has also gone out of production, but no doubt both of these issues will be resolved nearer the time.

Of course having printed out the sheets, I had to try them for size.  The far end will house the turntable and coaling stage plus a few ancilliary buildings.  The four road shed building will sit this end and overall the shed will occupy a space of 12' x 3' which will narrow to 2' width to allow access between the shed and storage roads.

The wind is blowing it's best, but so far we're dry and the power is still on.  I can't imagine what it must be like for those with a lounge full of water and no sign of the flood abating...

post-6950-0-52319900-1392403842_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-35430400-1392403836_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Here's half of ET shed. The turntable is currently a Fleischmann one as I've been anxiously awaiting news of the Metalsmith's Cowan and Sheldon 70' kit. I say anxiously, but it's now two years and there are doubts it will ever appear. Never mind, I'll face that hurdle when it comes to it. My preferred stepper motor control system has also gone out of production, but no doubt both of these issues will be resolved nearer the time.

Hi Gordon,

As always really enjoying watching this develop. I can't help you with the Cowan and Sheldon turntable (I have a 65ft GWR on order for Polly's Great West Road) but you might want to have a look at my 'DCC Stepper Motor Controlled Turntable' thread if you're up for building something.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78578-dcc-controlled-peco-turntable-project/?p=1223686

Ray.

Edited by tender

We're fine, Pete, in fact I've just got back from 18 holes of golf in the sunshine.  A clear blue sky promises much needed relief for those less fortunate, although there is so much water in the ground it will be days before the situation improves.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the update, Gordon. I think that it is looking really good,  as usual. Frankly I'll be disappointed when it is finished - but I get like that about my own stuff too.

I'm the opposite to you due to the appalling weather. The snow has nearly all gone and the promised storm of last night didn't happen - no snow just windy. So, I need to get out more. The trusty (ha) 7 iron will get some use in the backyard next week.....

Best, Pete.

Dear Diary…26th March 2014.

Hey ho, faced with a choice or ripping stuff up and starting again, I'll live with it..

Hi Gordon

Looking good but "rip it up and start again" almost had heart failure :O

I really like last photograph, looks an immense distance.

Ian

edited for keyboard error ... making my spelling look stupid

Edited by Ian_H

Hi Gordon, thanks for responding to my request for an update. Looking very nice indeed. Is that a Brit or the DoG in the photos?

It's Hornby DoG, which I picked up a couple of days ago from Gaugemaster.  It's had a hour or so running in on rollers and seems fine, but the colour/paint finish is really grating with me.  Somehow the flat finish makes the whole thing look rather toy like.  I'm assuming it is the right colour, but somehow just looks wrong.  The other thing I've just noticed are the flangeless Cartazzi truck wheels.  I've just looked in the box and there doesn't appear to be a set of flanged wheels either, so that's very disappointing.  I'm not a Hornby knocker, but this does fall short of what I was expecting.

post-6950-0-26705900-1395849146_thumb.jpg

It's not my day.  Thought I'd have a bit of fun filming a rake of Mk1's passing across some reverse curves in 00-SF at an obscene speed to see if they would derail.  Sadly my tripod seems to have come apart and the light has now dropped so that will have to wait for another day..

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It's Hornby DoG, which I picked up a couple of days ago from Gaugemaster.  It's had a hour or so running in on rollers and seems fine, but the colour/paint finish is really grating with me.  Somehow the flat finish makes the whole thing look rather toy like.  I'm assuming it is the right colour, but somehow just looks wrong.  The other thing I've just noticed are the flangeless Cartazzi truck wheels.  I've just looked in the box and there doesn't appear to be a set of flanged wheels either, so that's very disappointing.  I'm not a Hornby knocker, but this does fall short of what I was expecting.

attachicon.gifS0245901.jpg

No doubt you'll have seen Larry's (Coachmann) r-t-r bashing with the Railroad version. I don't think he mentioned the truck wheels. It does seem to be a backwards step. The DoG is too late for me (1930s) but with the drafting problems sorted would have been a worthy successor to the Duchesses.

Well this isn't taken with a video camera and the light is not great, hence the over compensation on light levels, but here's my pointwork test.  This is a pair of Bachmann Mk1's close coupled with Kadee No 18 couplings, so close that the corridor ends of the Bachmann coaches are touching.  This is across a pair of B7 turnouts in 00-SF at God knows what scale speed.  Any derailment and it's a fail and out come the gauges and soldering iron.

Nothing scientific of course, just my way of testing..

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Jealous. Where I play they only give vouchers back that have to be spent at the club rather than converting to railway currency.

With your point test, have you ever come close to not catching them which may be a problem with the current state of the boards and the drop of doom at the end or is there a fair amount of room between the points and the end of the board?

Sorry Steve, they are cash vouchers to be spent in the pro shop, but then that's money I would have spent anyway, so the net result is the same. I'm up a few quid that can be spent on railway stuff or golf balls...

All my testing stock has been round the block and dropped a few times. If you look closely you may see windows rattling around loose inside. If nothing else grabbing stock before it falls of the end is a good test of my reactions...