Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

• RMweb Premium

Michael, the photos in your last post are superb. The black and white suits the grimy nature of the yard to a tee.

Either you must be a historical archivist or a persistent searcher to dig out all these photos. I've spent a bit of time on flickr now and can see it's a real treasure-trove.

Many thanks.

Jeff

• Like 2

post-6977-0-15615500-1336750853.jpg

Many years since these turned a wheel, the price on the box gives a clue,

and two pictures below of Springs Branch coal trippers.

post-6977-0-85920300-1336751168.jpg

47322 dropping down to Padiham from Rose Grove in July 1980

post-6977-0-30487100-1336751298.jpg

40156 near Bolton with 9T95 Bickershaw to Agecroft inJune 1979.

Tom

• Like 6

A couple of pics taken at Hooton from the box in about 1980

Taken mainly because of the wooden bodied wagons, but showing also a mineral wagon and an iron ore wagon in PWay use without holes cut in the sides.

post-6748-0-89757500-1336856292.jpg

post-6748-0-07242100-1336856300.jpg

post-6748-0-37184700-1336856272.jpg

Incidentally, the siding the wagons are standing on and the one in front of it were constructed from LNWR materials.

• Like 4

Bit of a modeller's train that Keith - one of everything :D

AFAIK it was only the ZHV minerals that had the slots cut in, not the ZHOs; not sure why, unless it was something to do with the slightly higher speed possible with the fitted wagons

Yes, it is fitted, but not grey - it would be rather dark if it were - but appears so probably because of the rather blue cast to the picture and the greyness of the daylight on the day in question. As Pennine notes too, nice Atki' tipper on the left.

Adam

Not thick Mike, there's a slim chance you have something very unusual. It's definitely fitted, it has a vac pipe. The most likely explanation would just be that it looks dusty, but enlarging the shot, there do appear to be areas of light grey patch painting on the end - look particularly at the 'grid' pattern on the LH panel.

I've always understood that the far North went fully fitted in 1977, at the same time as the Southern, yet on the cover of a book I have (Tom Noble's Diesels on the Regions, ScR), there is another shot, also very coincidentally taken at Brora, of a 26 with a 16 tonner that is even more clearly grey. That one is dated March '83, which is very late for any unfitted 16 tonner to be away from the areas in which they were concentrated at the end. Not impossible for it to have strayed of course, if it turned up at Inverness then no doubt it would have been sent on, possibly under some local authority or on the basis of 'we've dealt with these bl**dy things for long enough, we do know what to do with them'.

I'm far from convinced, but open minded - it's just possible that a few of these wagons were vac fitted at a very late date without being repainted, in the same way as many 21T hoppers were, but definitive evidence is going to be very elusive, methinks.

Edited by Pennine MC
  • Like 1

I'd say the 16-tonner at Brora is bauxite, but with that odd blue-ish tint that some picked up over time.

I don't recollect seeing any ex-Iron Ore Tipplers with letter-boxes cut in the sides; their 26t/27t capacity was sufficent for a good load of spoil. There were some with large chunks cut out of the outer panels, but these were used for revenue traffic (ingot moulds from BSC Landore post 1973). The slots in the 16-tonner sides were because of the lower capacity/volume ratio- it followed incidents with broken springs, I believe.

I'd say the 16-tonner at Brora is bauxite, but with that odd blue-ish tint that some picked up over time.

I don't recollect seeing any ex-Iron Ore Tipplers with letter-boxes cut in the sides; their 26t/27t capacity was sufficent for a good load of spoil. There were some with large chunks cut out of the outer panels, but these were used for revenue traffic (ingot moulds from BSC Landore post 1973). The slots in the 16-tonner sides were because of the lower capacity/volume ratio- it followed incidents with broken springs, I believe.

Having looked at Borra photo I think it has grey on it. As does this http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brmineralclaspvb/eed8989d a clasp braked mineral. Not much paint remains, but the area over the end door has grey paint.

It should be recollected that BR used the 'other' wagon paint colour as undercoat - they used freight stock grey underneath Freight Stock Red and FSR underneat FSG. It was much later that colours such as green were being used for undercoating.

Paul Bartlett

PS Ingot mould with holes cut in side http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brironoretipplerunfit/e616bde5

• Like 2

post-6977-0-40399700-1336903858.jpg

A single 16t used to carry the side rods of a jackshaft 350.

post-6977-0-96929500-1336903982.jpg

02004 shunting at Parkside colliery when on loan to the NCB.

post-6977-0-75763800-1336904110.jpg

Bickershaw collliery's Hurricane, March 1974.

post-6977-0-24083100-1336904315.jpg

And not too forget the C&W lads that worked with them. not much details but its numbered DB.....

Tom.

• Like 4