Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

to embed flickr shots, go to share then copy and paste the bb code, i usually use the large option. some spoil sports disable the bb code however :)

Thanks, I was trying to use the code, will try harder!

By the way your mailbox is full, tried to send you a PM.

Some interesting markings too - what's the white outline square for? And on the one nearest the camera, there's a symbol that looks like the 'national speed limit applies' road sign (!)?

The one with the Class 40 really does show the sheer variety of colouring one can put onto a rake. The 5th one back for example, with a replate that shows a rusty lower half and near pristine top half, and what may be a replate on the other side of the door as well, but higher this time and no variation between top and bottom. The 4th one contrasts in colour to the 5th too - nearly all over dark brown/grey with little of the original light grey showing... except on the door. And to take that to the next level, the final one nearest the camera with the door a near-pristine grey compared with the rest of the wagon. Even the 3rd one back has a contrast between the left and right sides.

You see that variation in many of these photos of course, but that particular photo really demonstrates that a 'batch job' weathering of a rake doesn't fully capture the prototype - each wagon ideally needs to be treated as an entirely seperate modelling/weathering exercise.

Some interesting markings too - what's the white outline square for? And on the one nearest the camera, there's a symbol that looks like the 'national speed limit applies' road sign (!)?

I think the 'road sign' is just chalk marks, Dave. The box is, I believe, a remnant of a scheme that was intended to replace XP markings with a range of numerals corresponding to speed ranges; the 'empty' box is presumably the lowest of these.

... that particular photo really demonstrates that a 'batch job' weathering of a rake doesn't fully capture the prototype - each wagon ideally needs to be treated as an entirely seperate modelling/weathering exercise.

Yup. Give it another two years, I'll let you know how I'm doing :boast:

• Like 1

Wow! A picture of the real St.Ives - well done. Those 16t wagons would have been in use on the sand train to KGX, with the class 100 on the shuttle to Cambridge. That was soon switched to the old Huntingdon branch platform, which had seen little use for many years, thus leaving the main platforms clear for the sand train and its shunting and run-round.

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram

• RMweb Premium

Michael, forgive me if I've missed something - I have to admit I haven't scanned through the whole of the thread. But have you a source of pictures for minerals c. 1965 on the S&C ... iron ore or general quarry material, pulled by either green diesel or steam traction?

I thought it was worth asking as you seem to be a major shareholder in a goldmine of superb images!

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 2

I thought that class 56 pic would be of interest even though its not a close shot of the wagons.

Jeff, i shall have a look around, I like a bit of a challenge :)

and look what's standing in Warrington station too.................

• Like 1

How come I've only just found this thread?

Anyway, a 5-digit number, B68991, with repanelling (?) half-way up, a bulging side door, still with the top small door, and a load of bent scrap (probably a good description of the wagon itself too).

Queenborough 1983.

post-6971-0-65061200-1335356083.jpg

and another from the same visit, B48917, rivetted, very little paint left, number still on maker's plate, but renumbered '61'. Also piled high with scrap metal.

post-6971-0-43529300-1335356480.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 5

And this might make a good modelling cameo, although getting it to happen "live" might be a challenge:

post-6971-0-39589900-1335357609.jpg

B160143 at Hoo Junction 1982/3, looking like it's been propelled into the buffers, up and over, lost a wheelset and landed, damaging pretty much everything on the way. Like the pile of sleepers behind it. But how come the remaining wheelset is still on the rails? Any other interpretations of the sequence of events?

• Like 2

From 1986, quite late in its career, one of the spoil conversions with holes cut in the sides. Were those holes edged in white for a reason? Surely not for rust protection! Possibly Didcot area, DB209736 coded ZHV.

There's spoil spillage on the horizontal surfaces of the end doors.

post-6971-0-88643200-1335358093.jpg

• Like 2