Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

Might it be scrap from Metal Box- I have an inkling those vans are Shocvans, so perhaps the trip started from Metal Box, Aintree. The vans would be for Trostre, the 16-tonners for Bachelor-Robinson's works in Llanelli, which removed the tin, then sent the baled scrap to BSC Landore.

I'm surprised there's not been more appreciation of the Edgeley shot, I think it's a cracker with the way it contrasts the old and new orders so graphically. On a detail point, the 16 tonner at left shows evidence of a stanchion repair, which wasn't uncommon.

• Like 1

the Edgeley shot is an instant favourite, sometimes ill just post the picture/link with no comment as the picture says it all.

the class 40 shot is definatley heading from Fazakerley unless its in the middle of reversing or shunting, Metal box is away to the left.

it could also have been from the signal works in Fazakerley which shut around that time.

I'm surprised there's not been more appreciation of the Edgeley shot...

Give us a chance, it was only posted yesterday! :)

A few things stand out - I could mention the knackered state of the mineral but in this thread that's becoming a bit 'stating the obvious'. It's an interesting mottling effect though, one of those ones where if you saw it modelled you'd think it was a bad weathering job, like the internal users that Keith posted on the previous page (post #491 - the first photo in particular looks like an utterly unrealistic piece of slap-it-on weathering). Shame it's not in colour so we could get an idea of the colours involved.

The state of the siding it's sitting in is also worthy of note.

What I also noticed was the slightly odd way the overhead catenary supports just sort of stop without an upright supporting them. All interesting details.

For details however, that Aintree Sefton Junction shot takes some beating.The signal with tension wire coming off it, the point/signal rodding, the scrubby waste ground, the wire fence with Y section at the top, 20mph sign with arrow to indicate which bit it's referring to, the shunting signal on the bottom of the signal post...

What's the weird blob behind the buffer stop beyond the signal? I think it's a grass mound or something. Note the general rubbish and odd bits and bobs lying around too.

Is it an optical illusion or are those smaller signals on the left hand side of the signal post?

Definitely a 'the more you look the more you see' kind of shot.

For details however, that Aintree Sefton Junction shot takes some beating.The signal with tension wire coming off it, the point/signal rodding, the scrubby waste ground, the wire fence with Y section at the top, 20mph sign with arrow to indicate which bit it's referring to, the shunting signal on the bottom of the signal post...

What's the weird blob behind the buffer stop beyond the signal? I think it's a grass mound or something. Note the general rubbish and odd bits and bobs lying around too.

Is it an optical illusion or are those smaller signals on the left hand side of the signal post?

Definitely a 'the more you look the more you see' kind of shot.

the land to the right with the trailers parked was the new Aintree container base which was large but only took up a small part of the original Aintree marshalling yard.

those signals are on the side main post, the one's heading towards Fazakerley have been removed, the line was also singled by this time (c1970) which makes it look like the 40 is running worng road.

cant see anything behind the buffer stop, the pile of land behind it is from the shed area and could be the remains of the coaling tower.

a shot a few years before..

5994977708_24034a2311_b.jpg

Aintree Sefton Junction by Kerry Parker (KP), on Flickr

Edited by michael delamar
  • Like 4

yeah ive probably noticed it before but just never twigged,

on the shot of the train in the dvd the camera looked right along the train of fitted wagons that where probably kept in a semi permenant rake.

anyway, heres a shot of one with a tarpaulin.

have we had any tarpaulined model shots yet?

2389352775_3e6eb7ff2c_o.jpg

Peterborough by Railway Dave, on Flickr

• Like 1

Guest dilbert

ends of brake handles painted white so that if you look along a train of mineral wagons its easy to see if a brake is left on.

Not just minerals Mike, it's fairly commonplace on most BR-era wagons. Not sure when it actually started but it may have been a blackout measure.

From a timing point of view on the GWR, this practice seems to have started post WWI and pre-grouping and became widespread thru the 1920s-1930s. I haven't found any photos that pre WWI that depict this approach... dilbert

• Like 2

Don't think we've had these two before;

Neville's Cross cutting (Durham) heading towards Relly Mill Junction.

Porcy

6435584049_f4c6e1cae5.jpg

D68xx Redhills cutting Durham 1968 by George of Dufton, on Flickr

6435584391_19160ecb6c.jpg

D68xx Relly Mill Viaduct 1968 by George of Dufton, on Flickr

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 3