First Avenue

Rammy

Hi all

As some of you may be aware, I have been building my loft layout (on and off) for 3 years! Whilst I am still enjoying doing this, I do find it hard to spend enough time up there to make any real progress. So whilst cleaning out the shed recently, I have cleared my worktops and this has given me space to think about a small layout 8ft x 2ft approx consisting of 2 x 4ft long boards. At least it would be easier to nip into the shed, and during the summer months I would still be in the garden if the kids are playing outside.

So what should I / could I create in an 8x2 space? Well, as most of my stock is Freightliner stock, I started thinking what I could fit this in with. The obvious choice is a modern depot - but obviously this has been done a million times before. But I have to say I love them all!

I then started looking around on Bing Maps and came across the Freightliner Maintenance depot at Southampton just next to the container yard. Whilst I have always loved the idea of modelling the container yard, I cannot afford the Heljan cranes and I would never be able to model to the quality of others such as Warren Lane.

So my thought now is could I model the other side of the bridge (First Avenue) which includes the depot, but not the container cranes?

BING.jpg

This would allow some shunting of intermodals through the layout as if being taken to unload "next door", some 66's parking up after unloading or coming to refuel prior to their next journey, wagons being shunted into the repair shed, etc.

Would this have enough operational interest?

Initial track plan would be something like this:

FirstAvenue.jpg

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Looks interesting, assume you have fiddle yards both ends?

Oh yes. I forgot to mention that bit. That is another part of my dilemma. To operate the layout adequately I would need fiddle yards at each end. This would be ok during good weather when I could take it outside, but I couldn't do this in the shed.

Should I reduce the plan by 400-500mm to allow an integral fiddle yard on the left hand side that would allow some operation in the shed, yet still allowing full size fiddle yards to be used elsewhere?

• RMweb Premium

Cutting out the extra 400-500mm would significantly change the feel of this. i think that it relies on space to make it work.

• RMweb Premium

I think if you shortened it by enough to fit a loco cassette at each end it would make it usable in the shed without ruining the look. If it relies on good weather for operating sessions then it is going to see little use. You could investigate a garden railway or at least enough for a circuit round the outside of the shed to allow year round use of the layout.

Rammy have you been reading my mind?? I was discussing modelling Maritime the other day with friends. I even considered that name. I have been thinking about it for a long time which is why I have recently sold all my 90's stock to switch to Freightliner...

I think its a great place to model and I think you will get enough operational interest from it.

I don't know where you are located but if you need bridge level photos then I have a few and I vist Maritime on quite a regular basis should you have any requests..

Good luck with the planning and execution, I will be following with interest and may even start mine too!

I hope you dont mind me posting a picture.

post-6849-0-68522100-1305288464_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Scott

Rammy have you been reading my mind?? I was discussing modelling Maritime the other day with friends. I even considered that name. I have been thinking about it for a long time which is why I have recently sold all my 90's stock to switch to Freightliner...

I think its a great place to model and I think you will get enough operational interest from it.

I don't know where you are located but if you need bridge level photos then I have a few and I vist Maritime on quite a regular basis should you have any requests..

Good luck with the planning and execution, I will be following with interest and may even start mine too!

I hope you dont mind me posting a picture.

post-6849-0-68522100-1305288464_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Scott

How spooky !!!

Please feel free to post as many photos as you like as I have never been and, living in Derby, it's not very close. I have so far only used photos from Bing and Google maps (the Bing views are excellent), so any bridge level shots would be great.

If I do get on with this layout I may have to have a day down there as I have no idea yet what sort of prototypical workings are actually happening. Is there anywhere on the web that may list some of the daily movements, or is that the sort of thing you just have to check out for yourself?

Do you know if the depot is only used for wagon repairs (I have seen trails of wagons being shunted in on some of the Bing photos) or do they also have locos in there?

Any info about this place is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

No problem Dave, I'm not aware of any dedicated sites ref workings, but there is a local Yahoo rail gen site which gets updated with movements. http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/wrgen/ (youll have to join) and also http://www.47soton.co.uk/ which updates on the area so covers some of the freightliner moves.

As for the depot, I have seen both wagons and locos in there, but have also seen locos being repaired on the outside pit.

post-6849-0-10607100-1305292878_thumb.jpgpost-6849-0-74513700-1305292884_thumb.jpgpost-6849-0-85683500-1305292890_thumb.jpgpost-6849-0-41540200-1305292897_thumb.jpgpost-6849-0-26311200-1305292904_thumb.jpg

Hopefully these pictures will help.

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

It's certainly an interesting location and it certainly inspired one of my efforts. You can even have the odd Ugly Betty running about!

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Dave

Here's my contribution, only the one pic I'm afraid but might be of use to you.

post-6922-0-27013800-1305325336_thumb.jpg

With the tracks clear you can see the track layout clearer. To the right outside the fence is the relief line. First two tracks inside the fence are dead end stabling roads with the buffers stops at the overbridge. The next 4 tracks run through the bridge and under the cranes. Then comes the open air pit road that is two loco lengths long where you can just spot a '66, a single road through the shed and finally a single road round the back of the depot building that leads to more wagon sidings the other side of the bridge.

Thanks for the help so far! Keep the pics coming. Good pic of the empty tracks Ian.

Just tweaking the layout slightly to match the photos better.

Dave

www.therailwaycentre.com

picture of the day might be of interest...........

POD13-05-11.jpg

"Freightliner Class 70s are now a common sight in the Southampton area, with four trains each day rostered for their operation. On 12 May 2011, this view was recorded at Southampton Maritime, with No. 70009 stabled in the yard, while No. 70008 passes by on the reception line light loco.

Mark V. Pike"

Cracking idea Dave. Would make a good exhibition layout and if the main boards were 4' x 2' like you said you could also be sociable and work on them individually inside the house (with SWMBO's permission of course). Really looking forward to seeing this develop. Go for it mate.

Guy

.... if the main boards were 4' x 2' like you said you could also be sociable and work on them individually inside the house (with SWMBO's permission of course).

Already thought of that Guy! Whilst planning this layout, I measured the Utility room worktop and a 4' x 2' board will fit, so that seemed ideal.

I would love it to be an "exhibition layout" one day but not sure my standard of work is up to that.

dave

Been playing with the layout on Anyrail to fit as much of the real track layout in as possible, so this is what I have so far:

FirstAvenue2.jpg

I'm going to try and get the wood this week to make a start on the baseboards and backscene boards. I am thinking 2x1" frame and 6mm exterior plywood? Is that suitable for this size layout? Also I would like eventually to build this as an exhibition style layout with a frame some lighting above. has anyone got any links to such baseboard and frame construction? I keep seeing lots of layout like this but can't see how they are constructed.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rammy,

I would personally go for 12mm ply for the top. It will obviously be heavier but since you are limiting yourself to 4'x2' boards it should not be a problem.

The structure will be a lot more rigid and less likely to 'twist'. And you are less likely to have fixings such as screws and track pins protruding through underneath.

Cheers,

James

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Small suggestion before building commences. I had a large shed layout before house move a few years ago. I insulated the shed with insulation boards and plasterboard. Stick in a small heater and you have a useable space all year. Without it your poor locos will be frozen during winter. Well worth the effort.

Layout idea looks very good.

Chris

Thanks for the advice Chris, although I probably plan to keep the locos in the house to be safe.

My shed is one of the plastic Keter range, so a bit harder to insulate, although I believe the panels are double skinned so have some insulation value.

Dave

• 1 month later...

One month on and I have finally started the baseboard construction. It very start and stop at the moment, but I am finding it much easier to spend an hour here and then being based in the shed, rather than my loft layout.

Nothing worth taking pictures of yet, but I will post a few once I have the boards complete.

Dave

Archived