First Avenue

Rammy

• 2 weeks later...

i have now completed the basic baseboard construction, so managed to play around with placing some track onto it to see how it looks.

I will have to make a couple of adjustments to the original plan in order to get it all in. I will cut short the line that ran behind the depot building and have adjusted the points slightly. My initial thoughts were it looked a little empty, but then I think I would prefer to have plentyof space to add all of the little extras that can be seen between the tracks. I would have liked to also add at least one of the main running lines as this would enable me to run some passenger stock as well as all of the Freightliner stock, which would add a bit of variety.

Any thoughts??

Dave

Derby-20110706-00237.jpg

Hi Dave, nice to see some progress, I think you need to be careful about adding too much in that space, I understand what you are saying about the variety with passenger stock but i guess its only going to be a 158 or similar?? I'd stick to just the depot if it was me. Like you say, you can add a lot more clutter and detail then. Don't forget once the backscene and buildings go up it wont be as empty...

I know what its like going through the design stage, lets face it, i've changed my mind enough times on my layout!

Cheers

Scott

I'd stick to just the depot if it was me. Like you say, you can add a lot more clutter and detail then. Don't forget once the backscene and buildings go up it wont be as empty...

I agree, I think I'll be sticking to the depot only at the moment. I have thought that if I concentrate on this and make a good job of it, I could always build some additional boards to add onto the front for use outside (or at exhibitions! lol) which could contain the mainlines and extra scenery.

Anyway, enough talk of what could be. I must crack on with the original plan first.

Dave

Hi Dave

Good to see you've started, and agree get one thing done to completion before starting with anything new. That way you'll also have something to show sooner, which will spur you on.

I'm much happier now I've been concentrating on the station and I can actually post pictures of something half decent rather than bits of wood and track.

Keep it up

Phil

• 1 month later...

Not sure about stealth mode, more like hibernate mode!

Been busy working and holidaying recently so not getting much done on either layout. I'm off next week with the kids so may grab the odd hour here and there in the shed to start a bit of track laying. I have decided to use some laminate flooring underlay as a base under the track, simply because I have a load of it spare. Only time will tell if this was a good idea!

Thanks for your continued interest, Its good to know somebody is following my slow progress.

Dave

A little more progress this afternoon. I have started laying down the track, trying my best to give a good representation of the layout at Southampton Maritime. The right hand track will be the the relief line from the container unloading area (not modelled), the next 2 will be the stabling roads which will terminate under a road bridge which will be the scenic break at this end. The next 3 (rather than 4 on the prototype) will be the through lines that run under the bridge and towards the cranes. The next line will lead to the outdoor inspection pit, approx where the 66 is sitting. Then the final line which will have the fuelling point, approx where the 08 is, followed by the maintenance shed. To fit everything in, I have had to cut short the line that runs around the back of the shed and have modelled this up to the edge of the board. This seems to give a reasonable compromise as I will still be able to stable locos on this line which should add a bit of depth behind the shed.

Here are a couple of pics showing today's progress, along with Temeraire's photo showing the prototype.

DSCF4928.jpg

DSCF4926.jpg

Maritime.jpg

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

Good to see you've made a start. Is the layout going to be fixed in the shed or exhibitable? If you plan to exhibit it which way round will it be viewed from, across the tracks to the shed as my pic, or the other way around?

Will all the tracks end at the overbridge or do you plan a fiddle yard this end too?

Thanks for the advice Chris, although I probably plan to keep the locos in the house to be safe.

My shed is one of the plastic Keter range, so a bit harder to insulate, although I believe the panels are double skinned so have some insulation value.

Dave

Thought I recognised that shed, it's the same as mine, 8x8, I am also thinking of locating a railway in mine albeit N gauge and had similar thoughts on keeping the stock indoors in the winter so I don't to worry about insulation/heating and running power from the house fulltime. Anyone else got experience of using Keter sheds and what they are like in winter?

Hi Dave, looks like a nice depot layout in the making. Are you going to scratch build a model of the shed?

I do hope you are going to have a 66 with the panels off and fitters working on the engine!

I have been wondering what to do about the shed building. Ithink scratchbuild is the only option really isn't it, although I have never scratchbuilt anything before. I did wonder about buying a couple of Pikestuff sheds as a temporary structure whilst I get on with the layout, but I'm niot sure the are wide enough really. I aslo like the look of the new Bachmann shed but thats nothing like Maritime so probably not appropriate.

I was thinking about the 66 under repair yesterday whilst looking through the previous photos. I would love to find a non working 66 that I could cut up to mimic that scene, but I think that will have to be way down my list of priorites!

Hi Dave

Good to see you've made a start. Is the layout going to be fixed in the shed or exhibitable? If you plan to exhibit it which way round will it be viewed from, across the tracks to the shed as my pic, or the other way around?

Will all the tracks end at the overbridge or do you plan a fiddle yard this end too?

They layout is designed to be portable so that during nice weather I could move it onto the decking. This would also allow fiddle yards to be fitted at each end to improve operational interest.

I am thinking of having the layout viewed from the right hand side, so a backscene will be fitted behing the shed.

Thanks for the interest.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to complete the track laying today. It is all now cut, laid, and pinned down in position. I have drilled all of the holes ready for the droppers, so next up is the small job of wiring it all up! I also need to decide how I am going to link the 2 boards together electrically.

No photos today, as it doesn't really look much different, but looking forward to testing a few locos on it soon.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Wiring is about half done now, and the outdoor inspection pit has been added.Just need to decide if I am going to wire in the leds in the pit before I fix down the track above it. I guess I will as it will be too late to change my mind later. Does anybody know if I could run the SMD leds directly off the DCC supply (15V ac I think) or would I need to use a seperate 12V supply as I did on my Chadwood layout? Just thinking it would save a bit of wiring if I could link it straight in. (Just being lazy again!)

Whilst inside over the last few nights I have been building some Scalescenes containers. My plan is to probably use a stack of these down the far end of the layout to hide the controller & toggle switches for the points. As usual I am very impressed with the Scalescenes product, although my build skills could be better.

Here's a couple of pics of one of the containers with 0.5mm wire added to one end to represent the door catches (or whatever they are called) :

DSCF5049.jpg

DSCF5045.jpg

Hopefully I'll get some pics of the inspection pit later this week.

Dave

Great photos Peter, and as you said you have covered some different angles.

Thanks for taking the time to post them on here. I am sure they will be a great help.

If anybody has any photos of inside the blue refuelling shed I would appreciate a look. Every pic I have seen so far has a 66 parked in front of it! I know what the back looks like now thanks to Peter.

Dave

Archived