First Avenue

Rammy

• RMweb Premium

In the end I have just ordered a 16x25mm 4 ohm speaker off coastaldcc.co.uk and am hoping for a quick delivery so I can crack on with it. I also think I may have to machine part of the chassis off above the motor, remove the dcc plug and hard wire instead, in order for the decoder to be low enough fr the top to fit back on.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the very dark side of DCC sound. I presume that the decoder is a ESU v4. Is the existing speaker 4 ohm?

Wiring a v3.5 to a 4 ohm speaker will probably result in the magic smoke effect.

Cheers,

Mick

Yes Mick it's a v4.0 so I fitted a 4 ohm speaker. I'm very pleased with the sounds so far. I am slightly limited as I only have a select controller. I can't change any CV values with a Select so I am hoping I can fix the issues without having to.

DCC Sound is like a drug though isn't t? I'm already looking round for Class 66 chips and I'm thinking of clearing some of my old stock this weekend to fund the next chip!

Dave

Thanks Phil.

Today I have had all of my modern stock out of the loft and given them a run in on a simple loop. The problem with building layouts for so long is that your locos end up just sitting there gathering dust. Once they were all running again I couldn't resist putting them onto First Avenue to make a quick video.

• RMweb Premium

DCC Sound is like a drug though isn't t?

Dave

Sound is very subjective - some like it, some don't and it's been discussed many times on RMweb before. Whenever I purchase a loco, there's always the provision of a sound decoder to consider. In some ways, DCC sound is good for me, otherwise I'd have waaaaaaay too many locos, rather than just too many.

Cheers,

Mick

After all the fun of the sound loco last week, I thought I had better crack on with something productive this weekend so I have completed the scalescenes concrete bridge that I started quite a while ago. I have sprayed the end panel under the bridge in a matt black and I just need to glue the bridge in place and add the expansion joints between the separate road panels to finish it off.

Apologies for the poor photo, but it was 11.00pm in the shed with my phone!

Derby-20120430-00397.jpg

I had actually forgotten all about needing to paint under the bridge until last night when I was looking how to stick the bridge down. Fortunately I had a matt black aerosol in the shed and it has covered the plywood very well. So much so that I am thinking of spraying all of the outside of the layout in the same way.

I had actually forgotten all about needing to paint under the bridge until last night when I was looking how to stick the bridge down. Fortunately I had a matt black aerosol in the shed and it has covered the plywood very well. So much so that I am thinking of spraying all of the outside of the layout in the same way.

Hi Dave

That sounds like a good idea - I got my wife to make me some very basic black 'curtains' that cover all the rubbish under the boards, and it made a tremendous improvement.

I can't remember, are you planning on exhibiting it, i.e. is it moveable?

Phil

I can't remember, are you planning on exhibiting it, i.e. is it moveable?

Phil

Yes it is moveable, as I would like the option of taking it outside in the better weather, but I'm not sure it will ever be up to exhibition standards! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Time for an update!

Although I have been quiet on here for a few weeks, I have continued to make progress on the layout. The backboards have been painted a blue/white colour, although I will probably need to go over this again and make it a little bluer. I have been playing around with a photo backscene for over the bridge and I am quite pleased with how this has turned out. I have also added a few trees, a relay cabinet, and some more scatter that were all bought at the Derby show. Plenty of other temptations at the show such as a class 70, a sound decoder for a 66, and the NCE Powercab, but as I couldn't decide which to buy I came back without any of them.

Anyway, enough words ... Here are the pics :

67b55c38.jpg

127b53be.jpg

3032a615.jpg

And my favourite pic so far:

c0870009.jpg

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rammy,

Liking the scalescenes bridge - I have this download and its a very versatile item to have, and a great scenic break.

After our discussion on Grasmaster vs sound - I have to say that 08 sounds good! I have no idea how authentic the sound is - it just sounds good!!!

all the best,

James

I have no idea how authentic the sound is - it just sounds good!!!

I agree. No idea what an 08 really sounds like, but i sounds good to me!

Dave

That last photo is so real, good work. :)

Thanks. I am really please with that photo.

My brother (Englishman) popped round at the weekend to try out his prototype scratch build of the shed end. A little tweaking to the size is required (as I changed the sizes and forgot to tell him!) but it looked great. We then spent another hour discussing all of the finer details that need adding. I have helped a little too by designing the roof layout. I am really looking forward to seeing the finished article in the coming weeks / months. Pictures to follow as the shed build develops.

Also I have finally taken the plunge and started laying the hard standing. I have opted for some smooth filler which I have coloured with a little black paint to make a light grey. Fingers crossed for something worth photographing soon!

Off to DEMU this weekend to see what can tempt me!

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Scott

Not much progress lately as I always seem to be busy with family commitments at the moment.

I have started the concrete areas using filler, but still have lots to do. I know my brother has been making progress with the shed design, but still a little way from actually building it yet I think.

Fingers crossed for some reals progress soon. Thanks for asking though mate!

Dave

Managed to grab half an hour in the shed today to make a little more progress with the 'concrete' laying and to take a couple of pics. Quite pleased with the results so far, but lots of track cleaning needed before anything's going to be running around here.

0a79edce.jpg

948e2337.jpg

a9ff6ee4.jpg

Dave

Archived