moorswater viaduct 2FS

bcnPete

• RMweb Gold

Glad to see you've found the will to enjoy things again Pete. That's coming along nicely.!

Thanks Sam

Coming on nicely Pete. How does the paint affect the way the rail goes through the chairs?

Cheers Kris - Its probably because I can't get aerosols here (or fly them in) so I have to use Railmatch water based which doesn't go on that easy. I guess I should have given the rails a wash of grey primer before...perhaps that will help?

Some really impressive progress Pete, nice to see you back in front line action :good:

Thanks a lot Bryn...I assume that was your class 24 seen briefly on Missy's Highclere last week? ;)

Pete... glad it's coming along again. I did laugh when you stripped the paint off the rails when threading them in - er, it's happened to me. It's a pain insn't it :laugh:. Live and learn eh - I now thread then paint... but then there's the fun of whether to paint rails then sleepers or visa versa... if you find the ultimate answer, please let me know :huh:.

• RMweb Gold

if you find the ultimate answer, please let me know :huh:.

Thanks Jon...am still searching but as a minimum I will prime the rail prior to threading it...I guess it depends how we wish to represent the track...for this model, I wanted the mainline to read differently so its all got a wash of sleeper grime/frame dirt but the freight only branch line I have picked out the rail and chairs in rust and painting the chairs separately first...which I think I will definitely do again. Lets have a look at that now below... ;)

• RMweb Gold

Update - here is the following progress...

The mock up viaduct has now been replaced with the new one...which includes the tapered legs. Having drawn them out in CAD including the corner stones (I will cut the plastic sheet to fit between them as the other stonework) I sprayed them to card and then cut the card allowing the corners to butt. I have also built the card formers to the tops which will be clad in plasticard to replicate the column detail.

The next issue was their location and allowing for removal to work on at present and future removal of the viaduct for the 'transplant operation' :blink: Some small card shoes were built and glued in place and the legs just push on and off as and when required - I will probably glue the legs and body of the viaduct together at a later date but at present it suits me to work on them as a kit of parts.

The track has been ballasted and one day I will get it right :unsure: I never seem to get it all to stick at first pass and the second touch up always reads as that to me. The whole lot has been sprayed in some cheap spanish hair spray to fix it, which not only means the layout smells a lot fresher...but that extra hold has given the track 'volume and bounce' :lol:

The rails were repainted once in place to make amends for the stripping and seeing as how I have another couple of inserts for the mainline to build, I can have a crack at trying to get them right first time with the lessons learnt.

Next up is to cut the plastic stone sheet to each of the legs and perhaps apply the sculptamould over the contouring to profile the landscape.

A few pictures to describe...

post-3290-0-49865500-1310465401_thumb.jpg

New legs awaiting cladding...

post-3290-0-93037700-1310465413_thumb.jpg

Shoes built insitu allow removal and replacement...

post-3290-0-13233100-1310465426_thumb.jpg

Mainline trackwork painted and ballasted...

post-3290-0-35072900-1310465437_thumb.jpg

The freight only branch track painted to try and give that occasionally used feel...

post-3290-0-92027200-1310465450_thumb.jpg

Overall view...

post-3290-0-93837900-1310465481_thumb.jpg

Class 46 on freight powers over...I have nice memories of seeing 46's when I was in Devon/Cornwall in the 80's...

post-3290-0-85743500-1310465498_thumb.jpg

Whilst 37142 creeps between the arches with CDA's...

post-3290-0-79426700-1310465518_thumb.jpg

Overall with rolling stock depicting some of the cameos to be captured...

Congratulations on your progress. I have been following this thread regularly, just like you have mine, but simply adding to the many messages of encouragement and congratulation would have made the topic tedious for everyone else to read. I think I might have beaten everyone else this time though, so I will say how very impressed I am with how this is going. It's a race to the finish now - and I think you are well ahead of me!

Hi.

Just echoing everyone else's comments that this is looking absolutely stunning, definitely in contention for first place. Your entry is certainly coming together a lot quicker than mine!!

Going off topic for a moment, I'd just like to know what you used to weather the CDAs behind the 37 and also how you did it.

Matt.

• RMweb Gold

but simply adding to the many messages of encouragement and congratulation would have made the topic tedious for everyone else to read

but not for me :D Many thanks for your kind comments - I hope you are enjoying the read as much as I enjoy to read about your progress.

It's a race to the finish now - and I think you are well ahead of me!

Not sure about that...I have to factor in the summer holidays with my family, which are starting next week so I need to keep my foot on the gas until then :O

Just echoing everyone else's comments that this is looking absolutely stunning, definitely in contention for first place. Your entry is certainly coming together a lot quicker than mine!!

Many thanks indeed Matt - kind of you to say so.

Going off topic for a moment, I'd just like to know what you used to weather the CDAs behind the 37 and also how you did it.

Sure...it was quite a tedious process as follows:

Google Hattons - Add Peco Pre-Weathered CDA's to basket - Checkout - Deliver to Spain - Plonk on layout :laugh: Sorry...couldn't resist. I am ashamed to admit that I would love to take credit for them but the pre weathered Peco CDA's really are quite nice and perhaps could do with just a little brakedust added. I also have a few of the plain ones to try my weathering skills out on...but I am postponing that at the mo.

• RMweb Gold

Lovely work pete! That last picture gives a great feel to the size of the structure!

Many thanks Tom...I've just noticed that the top of the viaduct shifted slightly off the legs whilst I was shooting it :rolleyes: but rest assured it will be back in line again soon...

• RMweb Premium

The whole lot has been sprayed in some cheap spanish hair spray to fix it, which not only means the layout smells a lot fresher...but that extra hold has given the track 'volume and bounce' :lol:

You going to be putting a pacer on it then to make full use of the bounce? laugh1.gif

Looks like you're going great guns Pete.

• RMweb Gold

You going to be putting a pacer on it then to make full use of the bounce? laugh1.gif

LoL...well anything goes I guess...maybe even a Gel W R steamer :O

Reaches for High Viz Jacket and makes exit...

... Sure...it was quite a tedious process as follows:

Google Hattons - Add Peco Pre-Weathered CDA's to basket - Checkout - Deliver to Spain - Plonk on layout :laugh: Sorry...couldn't resist. I am ashamed to admit that I would love to take credit for them but the pre weathered Peco CDA's really are quite nice and perhaps could do with just a little brakedust added. I also have a few of the plain ones to try my weathering skills out on...but I am postponing that at the mo.

Thanks for that, very tedious indeed. ;)

Matt.

• RMweb Gold

looking good Pete....Ive missed a lot of this ones progress so far but I promise Ill keep up to date as of now ;)

Its even given my own rather deflated mojo a kick :O

Thanks Mickey...pleased to be of assistance ;)

Just magic Pete. You've got to keep going while the muse is with you.

Thanks Don - Certainly will keep going...In 3 weeks today I should be standing at the exact location looking up at the viaduct :)

Ooh eck Pete... that's looking flippin great! :good_mini: Glad to see the gusto's returned with a vengance. The cameo opportuntites look interesting. Now I feel put to shame...:blush: I really must post something active on this forum again.

• RMweb Gold

[quote name='bcnPete'

Thanks Don - Certainly will keep going...In 3 weeks today I should be standing at the exact location looking up at the viaduct :)

Now that should keep the mojo going have a great time.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Ooh eck Pete... that's looking flippin great! :good_mini: Glad to see the gusto's returned with a vengance. The cameo opportuntites look interesting. Now I feel put to shame...:blush: I really must post something active on this forum again.

Thanks Jon...don't be...it's only because I am on a roll at present...oh and the there is a deadline too :O

Now that should keep the mojo going have a great time.

Thanks Don...am looking forward to it....it's more than 20 years since I last visited and walked away saying 'I am going to build this as a 2FS layout...some day' :D

• RMweb Premium

Well Pete, what can I say? Except add to the many comments already made. I knew this was a very original model from the start, but you have added to that by following up with exquisite detailing. It's a lot of work, but very rewarding. I think the competition is a great idea because it really has got the modelling juices flowing and your diorama has certainly set a very high watermark for the rest of us. Keep up the brilliant work in the race to the finish because this is definitely in the running for first place.

Regards

Mike

• RMweb Gold

:blush: :blush: Thanks Mike for your kind words.

Agreed that this competition works well - there are some very interesting and diverse entries in progress and its great to follow them...your own entry being one of them is looking rather tasty :yes:

• RMweb Gold

Update - a little more progress

Last night I cut out the templates for the stonework to the columns. This was then spray mounted onto the reverse of the slaters plastic sheet as before and then I cut around the profile to form the main stonework for each face. The corner detail stones will be done individually :blink:

I have completed the first two sides of one column and will try and complete the remaining ones over the weekend.

I showed it to my wife last night...(she's not interested in trains at all but sometimes I just like to talk about it to someone!) and she told me I'm sick...and that's before I cut out all the individual stones... :lol:

A few photos attached...Looks like I may not need to splice my Dapol HST afterall...

post-3290-0-64656600-1310719686_thumb.jpg

Oblique view...

post-3290-0-33990700-1310719701_thumb.jpg

Side on view...

post-3290-0-26906900-1310719710_thumb.jpg

Cruel close up...hopefully, once painted it will look tidy...

I showed it to my wife last night...(she's not interested in trains at all but sometimes I just like to talk about it to someone!) and she told me I'm sick...and that's before I cut out all the individual stones... :lol:

LOL- Me too! I could hardly see any mess on the cut bits, viewers at normal distance are unlikely to. Your conner stones look as much fun as my cobbles...

Pete... it's looking superb. But some advice mate: if you're looking for constructive input, the "wife" may not be the most favourable option; it isn't with mine <_<. When I used to do my drawings (must do another one day).. I'd show her what I'd completed in a small area: "very detailed" would be the response. With the models now, it's "yes dear, very nice". So, I admit, no actual insult... but give it time :lol:.

The brickwork you're achieveing is looking stunning... I can't wait to see the edging stones in place... good luck... and enjoy applying the other sides over the weekend.

Archived