moorswater viaduct 2FS

bcnPete

• RMweb Gold

I assume this is a devious ploy to collect votes from both the 7mm and 2mm modellers :lol:

post-3290-0-22438200-1311888313_thumb.jpg

Seriously though, I've been watching this unfold in silent awe. You are really surpassing yourself here Pete, it looks fantastic and is very well conceived. Keep it coming, please. :yes:

It's looking great Pete, really nice to see it coming together.

The Moorswater runs on a Friday at the moment, heads back to Westbury about 3pm ish if I remember rightly...

cheers

jo

• RMweb Gold

This is certainly moving along Pete, and the viaduct looks most splendid

Onto matters green.... I think the WS scatter would probably pass for my standards "as is" but I expect better from you :D

and its nice to see the Green Team having a run out for a change

Thanks Mickey...you have a soft spot for 66's then...

I've seen what Black Rat has done on his module, using flock first, then static after, and it looks really good in 7mm.

You're intending to do the same - the static grass applicator seems to be the choice of the discerning modeller, so I might need to invest in one.

Can you get fibres which are especially suited to 2mm scale ?

Stu, I think the fibres come in 1.5, 3, 4,5 and 6mm lengths IIRC...I know some peeps think they can be a bit long for 2mm...when I tried using only the smaller ones it looked like the grass had a 'crew cut' :lol: so I tend to mix them together in different lengths and colours, as per Chris Nevard's advice. This time I will try and get a difference between lineside overgrown track and slightly well kept grass...if that makes sense :blink:

I assume this is a devious ploy to collect votes from both the 7mm and 2mm modellers :lol:

...a sort of Gullivar's travels meets the Looe Branch ;)

Seriously though, I've been watching this unfold in silent awe. You are really surpassing yourself here Pete, it looks fantastic and is very well conceived. Keep it coming, please. :yes:

Many thanks for your kind comments Mikkel

This is really coming on leaps and bounds now. Keep it up Pete, looks great!

Bryn, hi - Many thanks also...a bit of downtime now for research purposes to hopefully keep the mojo going...

It's looking great Pete, really nice to see it coming together.

The Moorswater runs on a Friday at the moment, heads back to Westbury about 3pm ish if I remember rightly...

cheers

Many thanks Jo - thanks also for the info on the train...that could round the week off nicely then :D

• RMweb Gold

The grass looks pretty good already although the static method should add some longer bits. Really coming together. I think it will get my vote as a 2mm and 7mm modeller

Don

Greetings Pete, finally caught up on your latest endeavours - that contrast between high and low almost looks exaggerated so great is it. I'm getting used to the diesels now too ;)

Great work.

Very interested in your lamdscaping work as I am approaching that position too, having put down the final bit of sculptamould on Glenfield.

Welsome back to 2mm...!!

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Great looking Pete

Many thanks Andy

leaving us stuck on the branch for some fair old time !!

Can't think of a more nicer place to be stuck Mickey!

The grass looks pretty good already although the static method should add some longer bits. Really coming together. I think it will get my vote as a 2mm and 7mm modeller

Many thanks also Don...it certainly needs some static grass...looks far too well kept at present!

Excellent modelling here. Its a perfect photography drama, because its timeless except for the rolling stock.

Many thanks RichieRich...its pretty overgrown these days, but I hope to try and convey a few periods.

• RMweb Gold

Update...just back from a fab 10 days in UK...7 of them in Looe...and a little wandering did occur.

Saw this property for sale, which even comes with its own 1:1 model of Moorwater viaduct in its back garden :D

post-3290-0-86361000-1313068948_thumb.jpg

Somehow, it wasn't quite my wife's cup of tea ;)

Hope to get back on the diorama soon...

• RMweb Gold

change the wife....:laugh:

:O

simple but very effective i love it :)

Many thanks for your kind comments witherbrow

Pete you definitely got the mojo back and I really like the grass effect.. well done and keep going..

Many thanks also Tom

With lots to do and only 7 weeks left (minus a few lost days in that) I need to refocus and try and avoid a MONSTER JELLY HEAD moment...

• RMweb Gold

The viaduct makes the N scale locomotives look as small as the real locomtoives under the real viaduct, if that makes sense?!

Many thanks Jack...yes it does make sense...it was quite impressive to stand beneath it last week.

I will try and get going again with it this week...

• RMweb Gold

Shame about the cottage but it would have been a long commute to Barcelona. Severn weeks to go.... Don't panic, Don't panic. Seriously there should be enough time you've done most of the work on the viaduct. A few bushes and a tree or two underneath should help to emphasise the scale.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Don

Yes a few bushes and trees are planned and I am sure when I start cutting those stones for the viaduct it will help give a sense of the time required.

• RMweb Gold

The swear box is getting somewhat heavier tonight :angry:

What was supposed to be 'easing myself back into modelling this evening' has gone belly up.

I tried out my new static grass applicator bought from Greenscenes I recall at the 2mm Expo last year and either 1) I am doing something wrong or 2) or its no better then my previous method of using a puffer bottle aided with a ballon rubbed on a wooly jumper...or 3) both

Also...I thought they were supposed to crackle...make noise or something....or is that just the noise of swearing when you accidentally zapp yourself :D

oh well...best look at it with fresh eyes tomorrow...can't afford to have many of these set backs in the next few weeks :O

looks like I will have a play with the new forum instead for the rest of this evening...must admit, its looking very tasty :yes:

• RMweb Premium

The only noise I have ever had from my home built static machine is the spark when I zap myself, followed by some choice words.

No matter how tasty the forum looks you should not try to eat it Pete. Doing so will not help your laptop problems. :-P

• RMweb Gold

Also...I thought they were supposed to crackle...make noise or something....or is that just the noise of swearing when you accidentally zapp yourself :D

The only noise I have ever had from my home built static machine is the spark when I zap myself, followed by some choice words.

so I was right in my assumptions...

No matter how tasty the forum looks you should not try to eat it Pete. Doing so will not help your laptop problems. :-P

both the laptop and my 2011 entry could be in the bin tomorrow if things don't start going better... :banghead:

• RMweb Gold

oh well...best look at it with fresh eyes tomorrow...

in the cold light of day...it doesn't look as bad as last night...so I will continue later and try and make some more progress... :derisive:

• RMweb Gold

Hello Pete

When I first started with the Grasstech I was a little underwhelmed. But I practised and refined my technique very quickly and now I wouldn't be without it.

Things that work for me:

* In N, the narrow applicator nozzle is invaluable. I made my own from a funnel, but will probably buy the proper one if I see it at an exhibition.

* Some mixes of fibre lengths and colours work well, other's don't. Experiment until you have recipes that work for you.

* After leaving just long enough for the glue to grip the fibres, a dustbuster or vacuum cleaner can be used to "pull" them upright.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ben,

Many thanks for this...my one is a cheaper version , which although is less powerful, still yields good results.

This afternoon, I phoned John at GreenScenes (thoroughly nice chap) and he walked me through a few tests and it is working ok...so its me that's the problem :lol:

I have just tried it again and seems okay. I will try and upload the results later this evening.

Looks like the laptop is up and running again after a 'factory restore' this afternoon...I will try and get some modelling in this evening...inbetween reloading all the software again :rolleyes:

All in all...looking far rosier then last night :dirol_mini:

• RMweb Gold

Update - Static grass applicator working and now the laptop seems to be working again...

To pick up from last night, the first application of static grass was a little disappointing.

I had used a 'premix' of 4.5 and 6mm fibres as per an excellent Chris Nevard article but it looked a bit odd last night, but I think that was a combination of artificial light plus a comparison with the grass put down as a base to cover the brown paint.

This time I did a quick couple of tests using some fibres of different length as I need to make a fence adjacent to the line and I wanted to try and get the impression of kept/unkept vegetation. The ones on the left of the photo are 2mm Noch....and really are that awful bright colour, whilst the ones on the right is my premix of 4.5/6mm and a few differing shades.

post-3290-0-25198100-1313522138.jpg

Noch on the left and Mininatur on the right...

Whilst I will not use the Noch scatter on this diorama, I was thinking if it got airbrushed after it may have a use...but not this time.

Then I added some French 2mm green fibres adjacent to the backscene and I think the difference between the two can be just seen on the photo below, followed by a base coat of the 2mm fibres on the other side, with the idea being to add longer grass afterwards to this...

post-3290-0-46582100-1313522324.jpg

Finally, a slightly out of focus shot of the track and adjacent long grass on the right, short on the left.

post-3290-0-82902100-1313522408.jpg

I know some peeps think that the long fibres are a tad long for 2mm...but having just visited the line the other week, the grass can get pretty long in places :O

Tonight, I will try and start the corner stones on the viaduct...

Archived