moorswater viaduct 2FS

bcnPete

• RMweb Gold

LOL- Me too! I could hardly see any mess on the cut bits, viewers at normal distance are unlikely to. Your conner stones look as much fun as my cobbles...

Thanks...I am saving those corner stones for when I am more mentally prepped for it...

The brickwork you're achieveing...

You mean stonework?...otherwise I am in serious doo doo :lol:

Thanks also for the tips on future railway related discussions with my wife, Catherine.

Its still a bit of a shock to her as I hadn't mentioned my interest in trains before we got married...sound familiar? :D

• RMweb Premium

Thanks...I am saving those corner stones for when I am more mentally prepped for it...

I feel that serious quantities of beer will be the best way to achieve this mental state, problem is that it may affect your physical ability to carry the task out.

You mean stonework?...otherwise I am in serious doo doo :lol:

Pete... sorry. Yes, of course I did. Honest B) It is looking good! good luck with the rest of the work on this over the weekend.

I feel that serious quantities of beer will be the best way to achieve this mental state, problem is that it may affect your physical ability to carry the task out.

I have several hacked fingers from cutting the webs on easitrac sleeper bases the other day part way through a third bombadier. Fortunately and unfortunately I didn't notice that I'd done my fingers in (or how deeply) until about an hour or two afterwards! As a result I can't recommend beer and sharp knives.

Its still a bit of a shock to her as I hadn't mentioned my interest in trains before we got married...sound familiar? :D

Oh yes!!! Just call it a little bit of own back for all the things they dont tell US before the big day! :P

Stunning work tho Pete - from a truly appreciative audience!

Regs

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Agreed...I will keep a * for afterwards as a reward :yes:

* insert as appropriate - Cold Beer / Gin Tonic / Glass of Argentinean Red

Pete... sorry. Yes, of course I did. Honest B) It is looking good! good luck with the rest of the work on this over the weekend.

No worries Jon...it did make me chuckle when I read it :D

I have several hacked fingers from cutting the webs on easitrac sleeper bases the other day part way through a third bombadier. Fortunately and unfortunately I didn't notice that I'd done my fingers in (or how deeply) until about an hour or two afterwards! As a result I can't recommend beer and sharp knives.

Noted Rich - Refer to above post...Next time I will remove the easitrac webs too as my ballasting didn't cover all of them as planned :blink:

Stunning work tho Pete - from a truly appreciative audience!

Many thanks Ian - Very nice of you to say so.

On the marriage front, I have to admit my wife is pretty cool about the trains. Although she thinks its a bit geeky...and she would never ever buy me anything railway related...she tolerates it...as I do with her bag and shoes hobby ;)

Agreed...I will keep a * for afterwards as a reward :yes:

* insert as appropriate - Cold Beer / Gin Tonic / Glass of Argentinean Red

No worries Jon...it did make me chuckle when I read it :D

Noted Rich - Refer to above post...Next time I will remove the easitrac webs too as my ballasting didn't cover all of them as planned :blink:

Many thanks Ian - Very nice of you to say so.

On the marriage front, I have to admit my wife is pretty cool about the trains. Although she thinks its a bit geeky...and she would never ever buy me anything railway related...she tolerates it...as I do with her bag and shoes hobby ;)

I only remove the webs where I need to re-space them around the rail joints every scale 44'6".

My wife doesn't mind unless they stray out of the spare bedroom for very long. She has issues with smelly paint, cleaners, and warm/burning metal from cutting/grinding &c. Last year I got a large quantity of etched nickel silver for my birthday laugh1.gif

• RMweb Premium

Talking about wives and their collective dislike for all things railway, I've just spent the day removing paint from the laminate floor and desktop in the spare room where I do my work. Although tempted, I was about to have all my layouts banished to the shed unless it was done, but it's just too damp out there.

Keep up the good work.

Mike

Hi, Pete

Had to put my fourpennyworth in after all this time watching your thread

Must give you the highest praise for your work, dedication (we all have lapses) and achievement

High temperatures do play havoc with modelling, 38 deg C down here a few kilo south of Barcelona cool.gif

2FS is a bit smaller than my scale, but your plastic work does credit to your skill and experience

All the best with your race to complete by the deadline - I will be watching with just a little envy :yes:

drinks.gif

Ron

• RMweb Gold

I only remove the webs where I need to re-space them around the rail joints every scale 44'6".

Thanks...But I think I will remove mine all the same next time...I quite like the 'glue them down first, paint, ballast and then thread rail approach'...

Keep up the good work.

Mike - Thanks - If it makes you feel better, our glass dining room table needs sand blasting now to hide the scratches...I can only blame the kids for so much!

Hi, Pete

Had to put my fourpennyworth in after all this time watching your thread

Must give you the highest praise for your work, dedication (we all have lapses) and achievement

High temperatures do play havoc with modelling, 38 deg C down here a few kilo south of Barcelona cool.gif

2FS is a bit smaller than my scale, but your plastic work does credit to your skill and experience

All the best with your race to complete by the deadline - I will be watching with just a little envy :yes:

drinks.gif

Ron

Ron, hi

Many thanks indeed - I have been watching your amazing thread for some time and only realised the other day that you were in Spain too :sungum:

Thanks for the good wishes - I will PM you on life in bcn as I think we share similar experiences of modelling in isolation from a railway modelling community!

Best, Pete

• RMweb Gold

and are safe with beer!

Didn't I mention I was on the wagon ;)

Nice suggestion Tom...will try that next time...

Also, modelling using a sharp scalpel whilst wearing Birkenstock's is also not to be recommended...with/without alcohol :lol:

• RMweb Gold

Update...

A bit more progress before we disappear for a few days to France to collect the kids and bring them back - these few days away will allow me to think through what next to tackle.

Firstly, the legs. The two columns have now received their base stonework. I sat and cut through all the remaining ones last night aided and abetted by a few glasses of white wine...so much for my detox period :drinks: The legs still push in and out on the 'shoes' to allow easier access to work on them...next being the detailed corner stones :blink:

Secondly, the underside of the viaduct arches have been lined in card to act as a base to receive probably a 10 thou skim of plasticard...need to think that one through a bit more.

Thirdly, I have applied the base for the scenery using sculptamold (lovely stuff to work with) and this will in due course receive paint, scatter and then static grass using my gizmo bought at the 2mmFS Expo last year.

I attach a few photos...same sort of views I am afraid...I hope your not bored with that...

à bientôt...

post-3290-0-44313300-1311094013_thumb.jpg

Completed base stone to both columns/legs...

post-3290-0-69614000-1311094020_thumb.jpg

Sculptamold applied to foamboard contours...

post-3290-0-31639700-1311094035_thumb.jpg

Overall view...

post-3290-0-58519600-1311094049_thumb.jpg

37207 William Cookworthy rumbles over with short freight..

post-3290-0-65244200-1311094059_thumb.jpg

And again...those waterslide transfers still need dealing with...

post-3290-0-74207100-1311094068_thumb.jpg

Side on view...

• RMweb Gold

Amazing just what a difference the sculptamold makes.

Thanks Kris...and for some reason, I have an urge to make some porridge for breakfast tomorrow ;)

Have you a method for producing the corner stones (quoins) - will they be produced singly or as scored castellated strips ? or some other devious method unsure.gif

Hi Ron...nothing devious...not yet... :devil:

I will probably produce them singly...I guess a bit of trial and error and testing.

For the detailed stones to the arch I was thinking to cut it out on one piece from the CAD...and then cut them individually to suit...but am still mulling that one over :blink:

I will probably produce them singly...I guess a bit of trial and error and testing.

For the detailed stones to the arch I was thinking to cut it out on one piece from the CAD...and then cut them individually to suit...but am still mulling that one over :blink:

Cutting and fixing them singly may not show the joint lines, unless you scribe them after fixing or in the case of the arch stones scribed on the complete arch piece

Ron

• RMweb Gold

Cutting and fixing them singly may not show the joint lines, unless you scribe them after fixing or in the case of the arch stones scribed on the complete arch piece

Thanks Ron - think a small trial might be in order...

Magnificent, before it's anywhere near finished :yes:

Mark - Many thanks for this...still a lot to do...and a relatively short time to do it in :O

• RMweb Gold

post-3290-0-58519600-1311094049_thumb.jpg

37207 William Cookworthy rumbles over with short freight..

post-3290-0-65244200-1311094059_thumb.jpg

And again...those waterslide transfers still need dealing with...

Hi Pete,

Just got back from Cornwall yesterday. No railway photos sadly but the cements ran to Moorswater on Friday-info courtesy of SWGen and saw a FGW Class 150 at Terras Crossing. No FGW Class 153 sadly!laugh1.gif

Anyway, back to the photos. Excellent stuff and I really like 37207 William Cookworthy with the Precision Decals. Yes, the waterslide effect does need blending in with a coat of varnish and some weathering eventually but I think it looks great. Talking of which, saw 37142 on the Bodmin and Wenford last Friday. Sadly, not running!

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

the cements ran to Moorswater on Friday

my wife will be pleased to hear that :lol:

Many thanks for your kind comments...back in bcn for a few days before we set off for our holiday in Coombe Junction Looe so I will try and do a bit on the scenics to keep things moving.

Must remember to write myself a list of all the details I need...like tree types etc :rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold

Saw Moorswater viaduct today. If you are in SW and are planning to visit the SDR, pm me.

Thanks Tom...Will do...not sure how many 'railway related events' I can sneak in the programme as we only have 7 days...moorswater being top of the list of course ;)

• RMweb Gold

Update

A little more to report...

Having left the sculptamold a week to dry out (probably didn't need that long) today it got a coat of brown paint and a first dusting of green flock. Previous experiences penned on my CJ-M thread firstly detailed initial worries about choice of brown undercoat...resembling a liquid caramac bar :lol: but the reality is, that once it gets covered, it becomes irrelevant...more something to cover and seal the whiteness.

Secondly, the importance of the base layer of 'flock' prior to using static grass as I found previously that it took many more layers of static grass to cover the earth below when not dusted in flock first. I use a blend of Scatters from Woodland scenics which must be nigh on 20 years old since last used :O

One other more thing learnt tonight...wasn't such a great idea to blow away some of the foam flock off...some of it found its way back in my mouth :bad:

A few pics and this time a little more up to date in terms of rolling stock in anticipation of what I am trying to catch on the prototype some time next week :D

post-3290-0-50450700-1311888293_thumb.jpg

First wash of liquid caramac...

post-3290-0-88325300-1311888300_thumb.jpg

First pass of green scatter...a blend of 20 year old woodland scenics products from the past...

post-3290-0-22438200-1311888313_thumb.jpg

Excess dusted off and appears to have covered well as a base coat...

post-3290-0-43896500-1311888325_thumb.jpg

66 on cement rumbles past...

• RMweb Gold

I've seen what Black Rat has done on his module, using flock first, then static after, and it looks really good in 7mm.

You're intending to do the same - the static grass applicator seems to be the choice of the discerning modeller, so I might need to invest in one.

Can you get fibres which are especially suited to 2mm scale ?

Archived