QUAI:87

Brian Harrap

Brother John is nearly right, but actually the lower doors ensure the shunting horse is kept nice and cosy whereas the pterodactyl can happily come and go as he pleases. I'm sure there must be a prototype for this - I'll find it one day I expect, the late John Allen probably had one or two - in the meantime I'm sure nobody else has got one. The upper level leads to the Stealth Factory, don't see many of them modelled either (OK they gotta make stealths somewhere haven't they). You'll be wanting to see that as well I expect, well you could always come to Aldershot. Another thing, that makes me feel nearly as old as our pterodactyl shunter, it must be 35yrs since I was known as Mr Hotpoint. Had to put new bearings in ours the other week but of course I didn't have to get the man in did I. Best, Brian.

Edited by Brian Harrap

Not the cheapest thing for supplying gears and parts, but has anyone looked at the interior of those Glade air freshners, that are supposed to represent stone-shaped vases, that go "Pffff" when you walk past? We bought a couple at half price in Tesco - and eventually decided that there is no way they last the 30 days mentioned in adverts- about 7(maybe) if you are lucky - so we stopped using them and I dismantled them. Motor, gears, and a small sector rack can be found inside.

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Brian,
Actually, I heard a fellow ex-member of South Devon MRS (who will remain nameless but he lives in East Ogwell!) refer to you as "Hotpoint" just a few weeks ago. I'm afraid some things have a life of their own.
By the way, the wagon-lift looks excellent although I wasn't sure about the engine shed until I saw it in the flesh.
All up to your usual standard.
Howard

Edited by HSB

• 3 weeks later...
Guest oldlugger

Hello Brian,

I've just seen the photos of your layout on the old RMweb; what a truly lovely layout you've created! This is one of the most original and atmospheric models I've seen in years. The tram track is extremely convincing and so finely executed, like your catenary. It would be great to see more of this gem. Brilliant!

Cheers

Simon

Hello Brian,

I've just seen the photos of your layout on the old RMweb; what a truly lovely layout you've created! This is one of the most original and atmospheric models I've seen in years. The tram track is extremely convincing and so finely executed, like your catenary. It would be great to see more of this gem. Brilliant!

Cheers

Simon

Thank you for your kind words, Simon. Pleased you like the layout. I can send you a couple more pics if you would like. By the way in a cross reference to all the recent writings about cyclists and the Weymouth street line - I have actually modelled a bike stuck in the tram tracks on QUAI:87. Regards Brian.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a bit of luck the other day. I was down at the quays thinking how great it was to be wandering around said quays rather than being at work when this short freight came trundling along the other side of the canal. A couple of refrigerated milk vans for the local co-op I expect. The freight motor is a very old Roco model dating back to the last century which I re-livery-ed back in the days of the old ZOB layout. I realise that a 15kv loco shouldn't be running under the 600v tramway overhead and that as is often pointed out tramway flangeway clearances won't usually allow heavy rail wheel flanges but then the laws of physics and reason don't always apply in this neck of the woods. It would spoil too much fun. Brian.

post-5773-0-63156600-1320427113_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Wonderful representation of canal "water" too.......................and look at all the lovely "tut" on the Quayside (lower left corner).

Best, Pete.

PS Sorry "tut" is a word my dear old Mother (RIP) used to say for "unidentifiable crappy stuff", possibly Kentish in origin?

Edited by trisonic

It's the backscene wot does it!

I did consider issuing the operating team with a series of backscenes so they could stand in a neat row behind the layout but I didn't because I just know they would get themselves in the wrong order and spoil the illusion. Brian.

• Like 1

Hope that you don't mind me adding this to your thread!

This is the most fun to play with!

post-6728-0-44711100-1320438412_thumb.jpg

Not at all, John - you may be pleased to learn that it is now possible to drive the little Bauer shunter right into its little shed at the end of the line so that more than one wagon at a time can be trundled along to the stealth factory, Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Not at all, John - you may be pleased to learn that it is now possible to drive the little Bauer shunter right into its little shed at the end of the line so that more than one wagon at a time can be trundled along to the stealth factory, Brian.

Brilliant Brian. Now we need an extra siding within the 'stealth' factory! :scratchhead: :sungum:

• 4 weeks later...

Developments on QUAI:87. My trackwork always starts off like this (sans Templot). Different colours are added for each amendment until I can no longer make head or tail of it then start again. The track will be supported on piling over the old bywash.

post-5773-0-83222800-1323022820_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I look forward to seeing the build on that, er, I suppose it is an outside single slip? You have a very good "eye", Brian.

Luvverly stuff.

Best, Pete.

Yes, Pete an outside single slip it is, or will be. It came out thus no matter how many different coloured pens I used. It will eventually be paved over in the road surface and no doubt end up with all sorts of road vehicles parked all over it causing even more confusion for one of the local shunting crews (Howard&co) who seem to have enough trouble keeping up with events as it is. Brian