Yard Shunter

RAY NORWOOD

Coming on a treat Ray, i like the weathering of the ballast, what id you use for this??

Those servos look great, think i may try them on my next project.

Neil

Hi Neil

Thanks for your comment.

The weathering on the ballast in Carr's ash ballast.

The servos I got from e-bay I plan to put micro switch's on them for frog polarity. The mounting of the servo's I was thinking of yousing the idea from Tam Valley Octopus ll if you click on the link you will see what I mean I am going to make them up myself out of 3mm ply, but was thinking of adding the micro switch.

http://www.youtube.c..._embedded#at=36

RAY70B

• Like 1

Very Interesting Ray, and iv learnt something new tonight thanks, if you get a minute can you pm me the info for the sevos so i can get a couple, i may even be able to do away with the seeps on Deeping and gives these a go

Neil

Hi All

I have been busy doing my servos to operate my point work.

The base plate is 3mm ply and the same for the micro switch, the servos sit in a box made of balsa wood in which is glued to the ply base and piano wire goes onto the crank and through the base plate and up into the point.

The micro switch is a box made of balsa wood and the base plate has two slots are for adjustment.

The whole thing will be up side down scewed to the under side of the base board

post-3746-0-39034600-1313053773_thumb.jpg

The micro switch has two slots for adjustment

post-3746-0-88494700-1313053836_thumb.jpg

The switch goes on top of the servo base plate and the screws go through that plate and through the servo plate into the base board.

post-3746-0-16073200-1313053872_thumb.jpg

post-3746-0-13064700-1313053903_thumb.jpg

post-3746-0-36083300-1313053931_thumb.jpg

There will be piano wire from the end of the crank down through the base plate in to the point motor and the wheel on the micro switch wil rest on the piano wire to move the arm on the switch for the frog polarity.

post-3746-0-34239800-1313053967_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Got same more update.

I have been busy building the Accerssory decoder kit and the servo4 kits from MERG.

post-3746-0-61924300-1314563972_thumb.jpg

post-3746-0-46455500-1314563942_thumb.jpg

The three boards finished

post-3746-0-58644100-1314563831_thumb.jpg

I've been wiring one of the boards and the servos in place and adjusted by my lap top with the software from MERG

These boards have it's own power supply so the white and blue wire is for that and the small black/white and the red/white wires are for the dcc signal. The Black and Red wires are track power.

post-3746-0-61986200-1314564447_thumb.jpg

The micro switchs are for frog polarity.

post-3746-0-45821900-1314564518_thumb.jpg

RAY70B

• Like 3

Hi Richard

The servos work very well on my lap top to adjust the throw and speed, I only had one servo exstention lead until I came back from my five day break so I had to muck about swoping the lead over to each servo to adjust with the servos working tells me the servo4 board is working, have not tryed with the decoder as I have to get the NCE PCP panel for this project. I have the second board to wire as yet. hope to start that to night.

RAY70B

UPDATE

Hi all followers

I have wired the second board, and recieved my NCE PCP panel yesterday and the accessory decoder is working all servos are working so I am playing trains again. testing the track and working it all hard to show up any faults.

I also got my Bachmann class 08 a SWD sound decoder, what a pig to fit all explaned in my Sound Decoder in a Backmann class 08, A copy of this below.

I have just got this SWD sound decoder fitted. Ho what a PIG,

I put the decoder behind the radiator, take the CB out and cut the lugs off so it is flat fit decoder on with double sided tape but put decoder on at the opersite side to the exaust on the body as this will get in the way it is a tiet fit in the higth solder the four wires (red & black to pick ups and the orenge & gray to motor) and put speeker in the cab, had to cut the little hump in the cab off and run the speaker wires through this cut out, but had to make the two wires longer. pop out the two windows on both sides of the cab and cut the windows that goes in the cab side (not the the one that goes on the door) so it looks as if the window is open that is to for the sound to come out, paint the speeker box mat black and put double sided tape on the side of the box and stik this onto the floor of the cab so the speaker is facing forward.

Test and then put the cab back.

RAY70B

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Update.

The goods shed is Ratio it's not finished as yet, I started it when we went to Corfe Castle for a week for the Swanage Railway Gala weekend so I got this to do for the evenings to go on Yard Shunter.

I have also started on the cattle pen. I made the side's with 3mm ply and put Slaters embose brick on the front and side walls going to put Slaters paving on top. I also used 3mm ply for the raisted ground around the back of the cattle pen with 1.5mm ply on top I will be putting a grass embankment down to the track.

post-3746-0-43905400-1316976885_thumb.jpg

post-3746-0-28613100-1316976982_thumb.jpg

I'm still testing the track and points, had a little problem with the servos as they were buzzing, I found that they were adjusted to much so I had a play with them, got them done all but one.

Edited by RAY NORWOOD
  • Like 3

Hi Ray,

Looks like you have been on getting further than you mentioned yesterday!

The goods shed has come out well and nice weathering on it as well - have you been taking notes?

Hi Richard

Yes I have been taking notes and taking in on the conversations we have had. I'm glad you like what has been done so far.

HI Ray

Well done on what you have done so far ,the good shed looks spot on and the cattle dock is coming on well, keep up the good work !.

Darren

Hi Darren

Thanks for the comment Darren, I have done a bite more on the goods shed yesterday. I have got to get the plasticard for the top of the cattle pen

Thanks for letting me see East the Water on Saturday. that is going to look good as well.

RAY70B

MORE UPDATES

I have finished the goods shed and only put it in place so I could move it when I do the scenic at the back of it.

I have done the mound around the yard road, I made that out of foam insulating board cut ib blocks and used hot melt glue to fix in place then cut to a rough shape and used sand paper to sand to shape, then put poly filler on then put mod-roc on and then poly filler on top of that.

I have also put the top on the cattle pen with Slaters paving slabs then I painted it with Humbrol matt black. wipe it off to leave the paint in between the slabs then dry brushed medium gray, then light gray on top.

I 've put Slaters granite set around the front of the goods shed and around the coal pens than was painted in the same way as the cattle pen.

I have taken same photo's of what I have done so far.

post-3746-0-64911900-1317577225_thumb.jpg

post-3746-0-58565800-1317577254_thumb.jpg

As you can see what has been done so far

post-3746-0-66387200-1317579578_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

HI Ray

Having seen this layout in the flesh the other day , it look even better under the MK1 eyeball, and yes that german stick granade will be hitting this layout very soon.

Keep up the good work!

Darren

Looking good grandad! You will soon be using the German stick granade on it!

Chris

HI Ray

Having seen this layout in the flesh the other day , it look even better under the MK1 eyeball, and yes that german stick granade will be hitting this layout very soon.

Keep up the good work!

Darren

Hi Darren and Chris.

I don't now what do you mean by the german stick granade. I hope to do a bit more tomorrow.

Edited by RAY NORWOOD

• RMweb Gold

Hi Darren and Chris.

I don't now what do you mean by the german stick granade. I hope to do a bit more tomorrow.

Hi Ray

He means the Grassmaster! A bit off for that though, I would think! I must come round to have a look!

Hi Ray

He means the Grassmaster! A bit off for that though, I would think! I must come round to have a look!

Hi Richard

Are that thing, I now what you mean kmow. I didnt think of it as that.

Edited by RAY NORWOOD

HI Ray

The layouts safe not going to use a real German stick grenade on it :lol: , just my Grassmaster! that looks like one .

Sorry Ray if you miss understood what I meant.

All the best

Darren

post-6929-0-16680000-1318207109.jpg

Edited by darren01
  • Like 1