Yard Shunter

RAY NORWOOD

HI

Ray the last set of photo look amazing mate !, this layout just gets better and better everytime i come on here,keep up the good work mate !.

Even Emma said it looked real and thats from someone who is not into railways!

All the very best

Darren

Hi Darren

Wow if Emma says it looks good it must be good. thanks Darren for the comment.

RAY70B

• 2 weeks later...

I've been busy with the second timber shed and filled it with timber. It was made in the same way as the first shed and I have done it so the back is open so you could see inside of the shed at the timber from the front of layout. I am going to build the fence that goes around the private siding next.

Enjoy the photos of the second timber shed.

post-3746-0-87279600-1329154008_thumb.jpg

post-3746-0-21604100-1329154031_thumb.jpg

post-3746-0-76880900-1329154042_thumb.jpg

post-3746-0-00111200-1329154055_thumb.jpg

post-3746-0-64201000-1329154075_thumb.jpg

post-3746-0-63747600-1329154085_thumb.jpg

RAY70B

Edited by RAY NORWOOD
  • Like 7

The second shed looks good there Ray. Once you get the crane in place and the fencing between the siding and head-shunt, this will be framed nicely.

Hi Richard

Thanks for your comments. I have just finished the cassettes for the fiddle yard and I am working on the fence at the moment. As for the crane I was looking at the one from Langley models maybe I'll order it later this week.

RAY70B

Hi

It's certainly looking good.

Catches the look really well & full of atmosphere,

Keep it up,I am enjoying watching progress.

Cheers Bill

Hi treggyman

Thank you for your comment. As i have said to Mudmagnet that i am working on the fence to go between the timber yard and the head shunt and the crane to go in the timber yard.

RAY70B.

Hi

I have been busy again doing the fence in the Timber yard, It was made from match sticks for the posts, balsa wood for the rails and C&L plywood sleepers stained with jacobean oak for the slats glued with PVA wood glue.

The cassettes was made from 9mm ply the same thickness as the baseboards with 3mm ply down the sides and the rail soldered onto copper clad sleepers with PCB on each end for connection to the main track which is two wires soldered to PCB on the main track you will see fro the pic's.

post-3746-0-80460600-1329418514_thumb.jpg

post-3746-0-54391400-1329418531_thumb.jpg

post-3746-0-26947100-1329418548_thumb.jpg

The Cassettes

post-3746-0-04449000-1329418622_thumb.jpg

post-3746-0-80806300-1329418635_thumb.jpg

The connections to the cassetes

post-3746-0-63240800-1329418639.jpg

My daughter made me the curtain to go around the layout.

RAY70B

Edited by RAY NORWOOD
  • Like 6

HI Ray

Well you have been busy ,the new fence looks great and has now made the sidding for the lumber yard into it's own space.

The only thing you need now is a sidding gate,just under the bridge,Langley do a nice range of them.

Looking very good ,will have to come over and have a go before the RMweb weekend to get my head round DCC!.

Keep up the good work on a amazing layout!.

All the very best

Darren

• RMweb Gold

The fence ties the seem together nicely and a good demarkation from the private siding to the head-shut. The wooden fence fits in well and I think a better effect than having a post and wire fence.

The logs for sale is a great idea. You just need to trim some suitable size twigs from a garden plant.

HI Ray

Been having a think about your lumber yard , what about a pile of logs ,off cuts of small twigs and a sign logs for sale ?.

The fence ties the seem together nicely and a good demarkation from the private siding to the head-shut. The wooden fence fits in well and I think a better effect than having a post and wire fence.

The logs for sale is a great idea. You just need to trim some suitable size twigs from a garden plant.

Hi Darren & Richard

You two all ways read my mind, I have been thinking of this when I started doing the timber sheds I will have to think a bit more of the logs.

I am know thinking of doing the lights above.

Thanks all your comments keep them comeing please.

RAY70B

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I am working on the lights which are 6 down lights on two 3ft x 1ft ply surported by 3 uprights all bolted together, the facIa board will have 2 station totom signs with Yard Shunter on them and will on each end. I have also been working on the gates for timber yard.

Will put some pic's on when i have finished them.

RAY70B

Very small update.

I have made the gates and put them in, they were made from balsa wood and the posts are match sticks dyed with wood dye and the red marker board is paper,painted red then cut out and cut in half and glued into place and then weathered.

The lights above are still in progress.

post-3746-0-93526200-1330877133.jpg

post-3746-0-79269100-1330877144.jpg

post-3746-0-91351800-1330877156.jpg

RAY70B

Edited by RAY NORWOOD
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Looking good Ray. They certainly separate the yard from the timber siding.

The lighting pelmet looks good (visited Ray's yesterday). Look forward to seeing the photos, but as you say could be difficult to photograph!

Hi Ray

The gates look very good and really do add to the lumber sidding and the totems you showed me will look amazing on the lighting pelment above the layout!.

Keep up the good work .

All the best

Darren

Hi Ray, The last time I looked you were on the point motors..... Since then you have come on in leaps and bounds. You have captured the essence of a 1950's yard very well and you should be very proud of your efforts. Very little imagination would be needed to transport yourself in to the layout. I love the way the timber has been painted red, the leaves on the sheds, the feel is amazing. The scratch built buildings are brilliant (Watch out Mudders!) I'm going to put you up for the club's master-builders award this year.

Keep up the grand work.

Chris

UPDATE ON LIGHTS

I've been busy doing the light panels this week or two.

The light surpport is a wooden bar across the bottom of the legs with three uprights bolted to the this bar and the baseboards, a 1ft 6ins jointed at the top of the uprights to surpport the light panels with a dowel at one side and bolt on the other.

The light panels is made of two 9mm ply 3ft long with a 2in x 3/4in wood along the front and down one side to hold the facia boards, each holds 3 down lights (6 down lights in all) in which I got from wicks on there red pencel deal. The facia boards is 9mm ply is what I had from the light panels is two at 3ft long x 8ins for the front and two at 1ft x 8ins for the two ends. I marked out along the bottom for the pointed edge and cut out with a jig saw pined and glued with PVA to the light panels, done the same with the ends. I then painted the the pall yellow and make all the small panels with a marker pen and paint the inside with white emulsion. I got the totom signs from ebay and fixed on with double sided tap.

I've got to paint the light surpports then the lights will be finished.

Here is some pic's so fear.

post-3746-0-05987500-1331230749_thumb.jpg

post-3746-0-43933300-1331230780_thumb.jpg

RAY70B

• Like 4

Hi Ray

Looking better & better each time I look!!! I think you'll find that with the lighting rig in place, it will really "lift" all your work on the scenics. It ensures that you don't sell yourself short and adds that something extra!! Really looking forward to seeing it at Exmoor Rail in August!!!

Cheers mate and well done!!

exmoordave

• Like 1

I've just finished the lighting rig and I have taken some pic's, not very good as I have not got much room in the garage. The crane is a langley models and it is heading for the timber yard I have assembled it and made a start painting but still have to finish painting it.

post-3746-0-17596600-1331396977_thumb.jpg

post-3746-0-52869200-1331397000_thumb.jpg

post-3746-0-81332900-1331397013_thumb.jpg

RAY70B

• Like 7